MS Am 1727
Hooper, Edward William, 1839-1901. Edward William Hooper papers, 1862-1866: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1727
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Hooper, Edward William, 1839-1901.
Title: Edward William Hooper papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Papers concerning the military service of Edward William Hooper during the Civil War.
62M-347. Gift of Mrs. John B. Potter; received: 1962.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Edward William Hooper Papers, 1862-1866 (MS Am 1727). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Hooper was treasurer of Harvard College (1876-1898). During the Civil War he served
as additional aide-de-camp on the staff of General Rufus Saxton, Department of the
South, and on the staff of General John Adams Dix, Department of the East.
Arranged alphabetically by author
Papers relating to Hooper's military service during the Civil War in South Carolina
and in New York. Chiefly financial reports, invoices, receipts, and other papers documenting
Hooper's term of service from 1862 to 1865. Includes a few letters, among them three
from Edward L. Pierce to Salmon P. Chase, Secretary of the Treasury, concerning work
with the freedmen at Port Royal, S.C.
- (1). Barnard, Francis E. A.L.s. to R. Saxton; St. Helena's Village, 20 Aug 1862. 1s. (4p.)
Also signed by Robert W. Allen and J. W. R. Hill.
- (3). Birney, William, 1819-1907. MS.L. to J. Slattenback; Beaufort, 13 Apr 1864. 1s. (1p.)
- (4). Christ, B. C. MS.L. to Edward W. Hooper; Beaufort, 13 Jun 1862. 1s. (1p.)
Written for Christ by P. Allen Huber.
- (5). Hooper, Edward William, d. 1901. A.L.s. (copy) to Samuel Breck; New York, 5 Aug 1864. 1s. (3p.)
- (6). Hooper, Edward William, d. 1901. A.L.s. (copy) to adjutant general; New York, 8 May 1865. 1s. (1p.)
- (7). Pierce, Edward Lillie, 1829-1897. A.L.s. to Hiram Barney; Boston, 23 Feb 1862. 1s. (3p.)
- (8-10). Pierce, Edward Lillie, 1829-1897. 3 letters to Salmon Portland Chase:
- Washington, 16 Feb 1862. 1s. (4p.)
- New York, 1 Mar 1862. 4s. (16p.)
- Port Royal, 8 Mar 1862. 1s. (4p.)
- (11). Pierce, Edward Lillie, 1829-1897. A.L.s. to H. W. Pearson; Washington, 16 Feb 1862. 1s. (3p.)
- (12). Pierce, Edward Lillie, 1829-1897. MS.L.s. to Thomas West Sherman; Port Royal, 7 Mar 1862. 1s. (3p.)
- (13-15). Pierce, Edward Lillie, 1829-1897. 3 MS.D.s.; 1862.
Documents of authorization; 2 of them directed to Edward Hooper.
- (16). Stanton, Edwin McMasters, 1814-1869. MS.L. (signed by secretary) to R. Saxton; Washington, 16 Jun 1862. 1s. (2p.)
- (17-23). U.S., army. Special orders. 7 printed & MS.D. (signed variously); 1864-1866.
All of these are directed to Edward W. Hooper.
- (24-127). Hooper, Edward William, d. 1901. Financial papers. 104 printed and MS.D.; 1862-1865.& n.d.
Financial reports, invoices, receipts, and ephemera relating to the Civil War.