MS Russ 28
Cesare, Oscar Edward, 1885-1948. Oscar Edward Cesare drawings of the U.S.S.R., 1922:
Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© 2003 The President and Fellows of Harvard College
Last update on 2012 January 11
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, Harvard University
Call No.: MS Russ 28
Creator: Cesare, Oscar Edward, 1885-1948.
Title: Oscar Edward Cesare drawings of the U.S.S.R.,
Quantity: 1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Abstract: Drawings of persons and scenes in the U.S.S.R. made by American cartoonist,
artist and journalist Oscar Edward Cesare.
62M-245. Gift of Bayard L. Kilgour, Jr.;
received: 1962 November 28.
Drawings purchased from A & B Booksellers, 600 West 161st Street, New York 32.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Oscar Edward Cesare Drawings of the U.S.S.R., 1922 (MS Russ 28). Houghton Library,
Cesare was an American cartoonist, artist, and journalist.
Consists of drawings of persons and scenes in the U.S.S.R. made in 1922 by Cesare.
Subjects include Soviet leaders Lenin, Trotsky, and others; Kremlin scenes; and
churches, chapels, and monasteries. Also contains photographs, prints, and Cesare's
- Cesare, O. E. 51 drawings, mostly of persons and scenes
in the U.S.S.R. made in 1922.
- (5) Lenin [verso: study of
- (6) Lenin [verso: studies of
- (14) Study of unidentified monument
- (17) Unidentified building
- (19) Sketch from a painting of a falconry
- (20) Unidentified sarcophagus
- (22) Five studies of male heads
- (23) Unidentified interior
- (24) Unidentified court and tower
- (25) Two studies for male heads
- (27) Unidentified doorway
- (28) Peasant men [verso: A.R.A. truck
- (32) Fortified gate and wall [Tartar] of Old
- (33) Clock tower and entrance from below St.
- (34) Petrovski Palace [verso: entrance to
- (35) The Borovitzkia Gate from inside
- (36) [Statue to] the introduction to printing in
- (37) A chapel of Vasili Blazhénni
- (38) Chapel within Tartar wall
- (40) Tower of Kremlin wall undergoing
- (41) Memorial tablet on Kremlin (Red Square) wall
commemorating the October Revolution.
- (42) Monastery church, Moscow.
- (43) Tower of Ivan Veliki
- (45) Bookshop on Kutsnetzky
- (46) Church of Sts. Peter & Paul, Petrograd
[verso: Stern of Peter Boat.
- (47) The Potyéshni Dvorétz
- (48) Mortuary chapel of nobles
- (49) Old houses inside Chinese Wall
- (50) Novaya Square and wall of Kitai Gorod
- (52) Tartar [verso: Peasant woman
- (53) Leaves from notebooks
- (54) Miscellaneous photographs and prints.