MS Russ 28
Cesare, Oscar Edward, 1885-1948. Oscar Edward Cesare drawings of the U.S.S.R., 1922:
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Russ 28
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Cesare, Oscar Edward, 1885-1948.
Title: Oscar Edward Cesare drawings of the U.S.S.R.,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Abstract: Drawings of persons and scenes in the U.S.S.R. made by American cartoonist, artist
and journalist Oscar Edward Cesare.
62M-245. Gift of Bayard L. Kilgour, Jr.; received: 1962 November 28.
Drawings purchased from A & B Booksellers, 600 West 161st Street, New York 32.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Oscar Edward Cesare Drawings of the U.S.S.R., 1922 (MS Russ 28). Houghton Library,
Cesare was an American cartoonist, artist, and journalist.
Consists of drawings of persons and scenes in the U.S.S.R. made in 1922 by Cesare.
Subjects include Soviet leaders Lenin, Trotsky, and others; Kremlin scenes; and churches,
chapels, and monasteries. Also contains photographs, prints, and Cesare's notes.
- Cesare, O. E. 51 drawings, mostly of persons and scenes in the U.S.S.R. made in 1922.
- (5). Lenin [verso: study of same]
- (6). Lenin [verso: studies of same]
- (9). Lebedev
Pavel Pavlovich Lebedev (1872-1933), a Russian general who served in the forces of the Soviet Union.
- (14). Study of unidentified monument [verso: Female figure]
- (17). Unidentified building
- (19). Sketch from a painting of a falconry party.
- (20). Unidentified sarcophagus
- (22). Five studies of male heads
- (23). Unidentified interior
- (24). Unidentified court and tower
- (25). Two studies for male heads
- (26). Boat built by Peter
- (27). Unidentified doorway
- (28). Peasant men [verso: A.R.A. truck
- (30). Girl playing tennis
- (32). Fortified gate and wall [Tartar] of Old City
- (33). Clock tower and entrance from below St. Basil
- (34). Petrovski Palace [verso: entrance to Petrovski Palace]
- (35). The Borovitzkia Gate from inside Kremlin
- (36). [Statue to] the introduction to printing in Russia
- (37). A chapel of Vasili Blazhénni
- (38). Chapel within Tartar wall
- (40). Tower of Kremlin wall undergoing repairs
- (41). Memorial tablet on Kremlin (Red Square) wall commemorating the October Revolution.
- (42). Monastery church, Moscow.
- (43). Tower of Ivan Veliki
- (44). Unidentified church
- (45). Bookshop on Kutsnetzky
- (46). Church of Sts. Peter & Paul, Petrograd [verso: Stern of Peter Boat.
- (47). The Potyéshni Dvorétz
- (48). Mortuary chapel of nobles
- (49). Old houses inside Chinese Wall
- (50). Novaya Square and wall of Kitai Gorod
- (52). Tartar [verso: Peasant woman
- (53). Leaves from notebooks
- (54). Miscellaneous photographs and prints.