MS Eng 1189
Belloc, Hilaire, 1870-1953. Hilaire Belloc manuscripts and proofs for Cautionary tales,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Eng 1189
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Belloc, Hilaire, 1870-1953.
Title: Hilaire Belloc manuscripts and proofs for Cautionary tales,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.16 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Autograph manuscript and proofs for first edition of English poet Hilaire Belloc's
62M-170. Purchased with the Amy Lowell fund; received: 1963 February 14.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Hilaire Belloc Manuscripts and Proofs for Cautionary Tales, 1907 (MS Eng 1189). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Belloc was an English poet and author.
Includes autograph manuscript and proofs for first edition of Cautionary tales as well as autograph manuscript drafts and page proofs with autograph revisions. Also
includes proofs of Lord Basil Blackwood's illustrations for Cautionary Tales.
- Belloc, Hilaire, 1870-1953. Cautionary tales for children. A.MS. and proofs for first edition:
- (1). Same. M.S.S. of "Tales of terror." A.MS.s. (initials); [n.p., ca. 1907] 31f. (57p.)
Carefully indicating layout of entire work, dimensions of margins, etc. Does not include
"George" and "Lord Lundy."
- (2). Same. [Cautionary tales; fragmentary rough drafts] A.MS. (unsigned); [n.p., ca. 1907] 4s. (4p.)
Drafts of portions of "Jim," "Godolphin Horne," and "Rebecca" (the latter named "Theresa Boyle."
- (3). Same. Lord Lundy... A.MS. (unsigned); [n.p., ca. 1907] 14s. (14p.)
Includes a leaf of dedication to Bobby, Johnny, and Eddie Somerset.
- (4). Same. George... A.MS. (unsigned); [n.p., ca. 1907] 10f. (9p.)
Includes a table of contents for the whole work, showing that later some substitutions
- (5). Belloc, Hilaire, 1870-1953. Cautionary tales for children. Page-proofs with author's autograph revisions.
Showing extensive rearrangement of contents and careful attention to the exact placement
- (6). Blackwood, Lord Basil, 1870-1917. [Illustrations for Cautionary tales] Proofs on china paper of the cuts. 38s. (38p.)
Most of the proofs are numbered by Hilaire Belloc to show their proper location in the text.