MS Am 1730.2
Marquand, John P. (John Phillips), 1893-1960. John P. Marquand compositions: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1730.2
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Marquand, John P. (John Phillips), 1893-1960.
Title: John P. Marquand compositions,
Quantity: 1 collection (3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: School and college compositions, prose pieces, and other writings of American novelist
John P. Marquand as well as a small amount of his correspondence.
*74M-11. Gift of Mrs. Richard E. Welch, Jr., Curzon's Mill Curzon's Mill Road Newburyport, Massachusetts 01950; received: 1974 July.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
John P. Marquand Compositions (MS Am 1730.2). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Marquand was an American novelist and short story writer best known for his novels
of upper class New England life and for his stories of the fictional detective Mr.
Organized into the following series:
- I. Letters and compositions by John Phillips Marquand
- II. Compositions by John Phillips Marquand
- III. Other compositions
Contains school and college compositions, shorter prose pieces, and a revised carbon
copy draft of Point of No Return. Also includes a scrapbook of boyhood photographs and a small amount of correspondence.
- Series: I. Letters and compositions of John Phillips Marquand
- (1). Hoxie, Elizabeth (Curson), 1822- A.L.s. to Mary Russell Curson; Brookline, 18 Nov 1839. 1s.(4p.)
- (2). Marquand, John Phillips, 1893-1960. A.L.s. to Margaret (Fuller) Marquand; [n.p.,n.d.] 2s.(3p.)
- (3). Marquand, John Phillips, 1893-1960. [Correspondence with readers commenting on So little time (Boston, 1943)]
15 letters from various correspondents to Marquand with carbon copies of his replies.
- Series: II. Compositions by John Phillips Marquand
- (4). [Acceptance speech upon receiving the Pulitzer Prize] TS.(carbon copy); [n.p., 1938] 2s.(3p.)
- (5). Cambodia. TS. with A.MS. corrections and revisions; [n.p.] ca. 1945. 21s.(21p.)
- (6). Curzon's Mill. TS. with A.MS. corrections and revisions; [n.p.,n.d.] 25s.(25p.)
- (7). Doctor, he say. . . TS.(carbon copy); [n.p.,n.d.] 29s.(29p.)
- (8). [The English novel] TS.; [n.p.,n.d.] 8s.(8p.)
With A.MS. revisions and MS. corrections in an unidentified hand.
- (9). [Melville Goodwin U.S.A.] TS. and TS. (carbon copy); Newburyport [1950-1951] 38s.(38p.)
Draft fragments with MS. corrections and revisions in an unidentified hand [perhaps
in the hand of Constance Morss Fiske?].
- (10). [Melville Goodwin U.S.A.; notes and correspondence] A.MS., TS. and MS. in various hands; [v.p.] 1950-1951. 1 packet.
Includes character sketches, list of revisions, miscellaneous data and correspondence concerning the novel.
- (11). [Point of no return] TS.(carbon copy); [n.p.,n.d.] 747s.(747p.)
Incomplete draft, with MS. corrections and revisions in an unidentified hand [perhaps
in the hand of Marjorie Davis].
- (12). [School compositions] 9 A.MS. compositions; [n.p.] Jan-May 1908. 14s.(23p.)
- (13). Sugar and the soul. TS.(carbon copy); Newburyport, Apr 1939. 17s.(17p.)
With MS. annotations in an unidentified hand, p.1, and on a small slip of paper.
- (14). Truk. TS.(carbon copy); [n.p.,n.d.] 11s.(11p.)
- Series: III. Other compositions
- (16). Miscellaneous. 1 folders
Includes 2 photographs and miscellaneous printed matter.
- (17). Printed short stories by Marquand. 1 boxes
Removed from various magazines; 1921-1942.