MS Am 1930
Winsor, Justin, 1831-1897, compiler. Justin Winsor scrapbook: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1930
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Winsor, Justin, 1831-1897, compiler.
Title: Justin Winsor scrapbook,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Scrapbook compiled by Librarian Justin Winsor.
*75M-108. Transferred from Widener Library; received: 1894 2 Mar.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Justin Winsor Scrapbook (MS Am 1930). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Winsor was librarian of Harvard University from 1877 to his death.
Scrapbook volume, presumably compiled by Winsor, containing letters to Winsor, an
indenture, a signed confession, and other manuscript documents as well as printed
ephemera such as tickets, programs, and newspaper clippings along with other items.
An inscription in the volume says that these are items received at the library, 1878-1893.
N.B. Items 1-5 were removed from item 6
- (1). Bachelor, Anna. The confession of Annah Batcheleor. MS.s.; [Charlestown, ca. 1695]. 1s.(2p.)
Signed by Anna Bachelor.
- (2). Smith, J. [Jonathan Deane's indenture contract]. MS.D.s.; [Jamaica] Aug 1718. 1s.(1p.)
Also signed by Jonathan Deane and Nathan Smith.
- (3). [Unidentified]. An account of the church at Charlestown and its ministers. A.MS.; [Charlestown, ca. 1778]. 2s.(4p.)
Composed during the ministry of Thomas Prentice. Contains A.MS. addition in another unidentified hand; [Charlestown, ca. 1788].
- (4). [Unidentified]. [Scale of silver depreciation from 1711 to 1747]. A.MS.; [n.p., ca. 1747]. 1s.(2p.)
- (5). [Unidentified]. A.L. to ; Medford, 21 Nov 1812. 1s.(2p.)
- (6). American local history scraps. Printed matter and A.L.s.; [v.p.,v.d.]. 1 Volumes
A compilation of brochures, newspaper clippings, and other matter concerning American history and events in the 18th and 19th centuries.
P. 3 contains A.L.s. from Henry Allen Hazen to Justin Winsor; Billerica, 28 Dec 1878. 1s.(2p.)
P. 16 contains A.L.s. from Henry Allen Hazen to Justin Winsor; Auburndale, 24 Mar 1881. 1s.(1p.)
P. 37 contains A.L.s. from Thomas W. Ludlow to Justin Winsor; Jonkers, 22 May 1883. 1s.(2p.)
P. 46 contains A.L.s. from Edward W. West to Justin Winsor; New York, 4 Oct 1884. 1s.(2p.)
P. 57 contains A.L.s. from James S. Shaw to Justin Winsor; [Boston] 9 Jul [n.d.]. 1s.(1p.)
P. 64-65 contains three MS.D. (certificates of bank stock) signed by James Bowdoin and John Hurd; Boston, Jul 1784. 3s.(6p.)