MS Am 1916
Nightingale, Charles Lowell, 1829-1906. Charles Lowell Nightingale papers: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1916
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Nightingale, Charles Lowell, 1829-1906.
Title: Charles Lowell Nightingale papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters, clippings, and daguerreotype of Civil War soldier Charles Lowell Nightingale.
*75M-28. Gift of Wolcott D. Street, Kersting, Holding & Street, Inc., 61 Broadway, New York, N. Y. 10006; received: 1975 July.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Charles Lowell Nightingale Papers (MS Am 1916). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Nightingale was a private in the 29th Massachusetts Volunteers during the Civil War.
Includes 68 letters, 1862-1865, chiefly written to his mother Louisa Nightingale;
clippings concerning the 29th Massachusetts Regiment; a daguerreotype of Nightingale;
and a typed transcription of the letters with an introduction and notes by Wolcott
- (1). Nightingale, Charles Lowell, 1829-1906. 7 letters to Edward P Nightingale; 1862-1865.
- (2). Nightingale, Charles Lowell, 1829-1906. 1 letter to George Nightingale; 1862.
- (3). Nightingale, Charles Lowell, 1829-1906. 60 letters to Louisa Nightingale; 1862-1865 & [n.d.].
- (4). The reception of Genl. McLoughlin's Massachusetts brigade. Printed document; [n.p., 1865]. 1s.(1p.)
With printed document entitled Special orders no. 57; Washington, 25 Jul 1865. 1s.(1p.)
- (5). [Newspaper clippings concerning the 29th Massachusetts regiment]. Printed matter; [n.p., n.d.]. 1s.(1p.)
- (6). [Daguerreotype of Charles Lowell Nightingale]. 1 folders
- (7). Street, Wolcott D. "I still live". TS. (carbon copy); [New York, ca. 1957]. 166s.(166p.)
A transcription with introduction and notes of the letters of Charles Lowell Nightingale (see items 1-3).