MS Am 1928
Dunbar, Charles Franklin, 1830-1900, collector. Charles Franklin Dunbar autograph
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1928
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Dunbar, Charles Franklin, 1830-1900, collector.
Title: Charles Franklin Dunbar autograph collection,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters and documents collected by former Dean of the Harvard College Faculty and
of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Charles Franklin Dunbar.
*75M-106. Gift of the heirs of Charles F. Dunbar; received: 1937 February 20.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Charles Franklin Dunbar Autograph Collection (MS Am 1928). Houghton Library, Harvard
Dunbar (Harvard, A.B., 1851) taught political economy at Harvard University and served
as Dean of the Harvard College Faculty and of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
Organized into the following series:
Autograph collection includes letters from Lydia Maria (Francis) Child, Henry Clay,
Edward Everett, Horace Greeley, Andrew Jackson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, John Pierpont,
and Daniel Webster among other literary and historical figures. There are manuscript
deeds, promissory notes, indenture contracts, and other documents created in Massachusetts.
Additionally, the collection includes autograph fragments and miscellaneous printed
material, including pre-revolutionary specimens of paper money.
- Series: I. Letters.
- (1). Child, Lydia Maria (Francis) 1802-1880. A.L.s. to [ ]; [n.p.,n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
- (2). Clay, Henry, 1777-1852. A.L.s. to [Samuel] Elliott; Boston, 28 Oct 1833. 1s.(1p.)
- (3). Dewey, Orville, 1794-1882. A.L.s. to [ ]; [n.p.,n.d.]. 1s.(1p.)
- (4). Everett, Edward, 1794-1865. A.L. to [John Wakefield] Francis; [Cambridge] 7 May 1846. 1s.(2p.)
With autograph (fragment) by Edward Everett.
- (5). Everett, Edward, 1794-1865. A.L.s. to Charles [ ]; Boston, 27 Sep 1859. 1s.(1p.)
- (6). Greeley, Horace, 1811-1872. A.L.s. to Cecil Stewart; Turtle Bay, 17 Mar 1848. 1s.(1p.)
- (7). Hale, John Parker, 1806-1873. A.L.s. to Harriet [ ]; Dover, 20 Nov 1847. 1s.(2p.)
- (8). Hughes, John, Abp., 1797-1864. A.L.s. to Horace Greeley; Newport, 20 Aug 1847. 1s.(1p.)
With A.L.s. from Theodore Parker to [ ] Gray; Boston, 20 Dec 1848. 1s.(1p.)
- (10). Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882. A.L.s. to [ ]; Cambridge, 10 Jul 1846. 1s.(1p.)
- (11). Pierpont, John, 1785-1866. A.L.s. to Samuel Hutchins; Medford, 29 Nov 1849. 1s.(2p.)
- (12). Seward, William Henry, 1801-1872. A.L.s. to Horace Greeley; Auburn, 11 Feb 1847. 1s.(1p.)
- (13). Sigourney, Lydia Howard (Huntley) 1791-1865. A.L.s. to [Mrs. ] Morgan; [n.p.] 22 Jan [n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
- (14). Smith, Goldwin, 1823-1910. A.L.s. to the Boston advertiser; [n.p., ca. 1865] 7s.(13p.)
A letter to the editor concerning Richard Cobden.
- (15). Tyler, John, pres. U.S., 1790-1862. A.L.s. to George Chesley Peavy;Washington, 27 Dec 1842. 1s.(1p.)
- (16). Webster, Daniel, 1782-1852. A.L.s. to Jeremiah H [ ] Woodman; Portsmouth, 29 Jun 1809. 1s.(2p.)
- Series: II. Documents
- (17). Cotton, John, 1712-1789. MS.D.s; Plymouth, 24 Aug 1757. 1s.(3p.)
Deed for transfer of property; signed by Andrew Ford, Jacob Ford, Jacob Ford Jr., and David French. Also notarized and signed by John Cotton and Samuel Norton; Plymouth, 3 Jul 1764.
- (18). Ford, Jacob, 1711-1794. MS.D.s.; Abington, 4 Nov 1777. 1s.(1p.)
Also signed by Joshua Howe and Solomon Shaw.
- (19). Ford, Noah. A.D.s.; Abington, Mar 1815. 1s.(1p.)
A promissory note.
- (20). [Quincy, Josiah, 1710-1784]. MS.D.s.; Weymouth, 21 Nov 1757. 1s.(1p.)
Indenture contract; also signed by Benjamin Dyar, James Humphrey, Ebenezer Hunt, Samuel Kingman, James White, and Josiah White.
- (21). Ruggles, Nathaniel, 1761-1819. [Family records]. A.MS.; [Boston, v.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
- (22). Shaw, Joshua. A.D.s.; Abington, 23 Oct 1775. 1s.(1p.)
A court order; also signed by Joshua Howe.
- (23). Strong, Caleb, 1745-1819. Printed D.s.; [Boston] 21 Dec 1813. 1s.(2p.)
Letter of appointment; also signed by Alden Bradford and John Fairfield.
- (24). Tyler, Royall, 1757-1826. A.D.s.; Bennington, 27 Feb 1808. 1s.(2p.)
- (25). Washington, George, pres. U.S., 1732-1799. Printed D.s.; [n.p.] 1797. 1s.(2p.)
Fragment; also signed by Timothy Pickering.
- (26). Willis, Nathaniel Parker, 1806-1867. [ Poem ]. A.MS.; [n.p.,n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
- (27). [ Autographs ]. 4 folders
- (28). [Miscellaneous]. 1 folders
- (29). [Printed matter]. 1 folders
Includes pre-revolutionary specimens of paper money, and 15 Jan 1800 edition of The New Hampshire gazette.