MS Am 1929
Grew, Edward W., Mrs., collector. Mrs. Edward W. Grew autograph collection: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1929
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Grew, Edward W., Mrs., collector.
Title: Mrs. Edward W. Grew autograph collection,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters and documents of American historical figures including letters and a passport
of Aaron Burr and a list of prisoners made at Powles Hook.
*75M-107. Gift of Mrs. Edward W. Grew, 238 Marlborough St., Boston, Massaschusetts; received: 1949 March 3.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Mrs. Edward W. Grew Autograph Collection (MS Am 1929). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Organized into the following series:
Includes letters from Aaron Burr to Catharine Hawes, from Thomas Addis Emmet to Charles
Smith, from Alexander Hamilton to John Bay, from William Jones to John Fisher, from
Philip Milledge to John Fisher, from George Taylor to Archibald Stewart, and from
John Woodside to Joseph Hardy, among other letters. Also includes a manuscript contract
from Comfort, Sands, and Company; an autograph manuscript by Robert Fulton; a manuscript
lease for Powles Hook ferry; a passport for Aaron C. Burr; and a list of prisoners
made at Powles Hook, among other documents.
- Series: I. Letters
- (1). Bell, [ ] A.L. to[William Alexander];Bridgewater, 29 Mar 1769. 1s.(2p.)
- (2). Burnett, William. A.L.s. to Garret Rapalje; Perth Amboy, 23 Apr 1761. 1s.(2p.)
- (3). Burr, Aaron, 1756-1836. A.L.s. to Catharine Hawes; New York, 18 Dec 1830. 1s.(2p.)
- (4). Cooper, Benjamin. A.L.s. to [William Alexander]; Hibernia Furnace, 15 May 1767. 1s.(2p.)
- (5). Emmet, Thomas Addis, 1764-1827. A.L.s. to Charles Smith; [n.p., Mar 1814]. 1s.(4p.)
Also contains A.L.s. from Samuel Boyd to Thomas Addis Emmet; [n.p.] 25 Apr 1814.
- (6). Franklin, Samuel. A.L.s. to John Fisher; New York, 21 Jan 1789. 1s.(3p.)
- (7). Hamilton, Alexander, 1757-1804. M.L. to John Bay; New York, 23 Mar 1786. 1s.(2p.)
- (8). Jones, William. A.L.s. to John Fisher; Charleston, 21 May 1789. 1s.(3p.)
- (9). Milledge, Philip. A.L.s. to John Fisher; [n.p.] 28 Mar 1789. 1s.(2p.)
- (10). Seely, W A A.L.s. to Robert Fulton; New York, 14 Sep 1810. 1s.(2p.)
- (11). Taylor, George. A.L.s. to Archibald Stewart; Fish Kill, 24 Jun 1780. 1s.(3p.)
- (12). Woodside, John. A.L.s. to Joseph Hardy; New York, 11 Sep 1788. 1s.(3p.)
- Series: II. Documents
- (13). Comfort, Sands, and company. [Contract]. MS.D.; [n.p.] 17 Dec 1791. 2s.(6p.)
Rough draft of a contract between Comfort, Sands, and company and George Fisher for supplying the fort at West Point.
- (14). Fulton, Robert, 1765-1815. [Accounts for wharfage of wood]. MS.D.; [n.p., Sep 1810]. 1s.(2p.)
- (15). Fulton, Robert, 1765-1815. [Autograph]. A.MS.s.; [New York, 1811]. 1s.(2p.)
Also contains promissory note signed by Charles Smith.
- (16). Hillhouse, David. [Memorandum of agreement]. MS.D..s; Washington, 28 Feb 1789. 1s.(1p.)
Also signed by Sinnickson Tuft; witnessed by Jo[ ] Stiles and E[ ] White.
- (17). New Jersey. Assembly. [Address by the New Jersey assembly concerning defense against Indians]. MS.D.; [n.p.,
- (18). New York (City). [Lease for Powles Hook ferry]. MS.D.; [New York] 11 Jun 1813. 1s.(2p.)
A copy of Livingston, Fulton and company's lease.
- (19). New York (City). [Passport for Aaron C. Burr]. Printed D.s.; New York, 6 Oct 1834. 1s.(2p.)
Signed Cornelius W. Lawrence.
- (20). New York (State). [Receipt]. MS.D.s.; Poughkepsie, 3 May 1778. 1s.(1p.)
- (21). Smith, Ann. [Petition]. MS.D.; [New York, n.d.]. 1s.(1p.)
Concerning Robert Fulton.
- (22). [Unidentified] A list of the prisoners made at Powles Hook.. MS.; [n.p., 19 Aug 1779]. 1s.(2p.)