MS Eng 1336
Dillon, John, -approximately 1868, compiler. Papers removed from John Dillon's extra-illustrated
copy of Joseph Spence's Anecdotes, observations, and characters of books and men,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Eng 1336
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Dillon, John, -approximately 1868, compiler.
Title: Papers removed from John Dillon's extra-illustrated copy of Joseph Spence's Anecdotes, observations, and characters of books and men,
Quantity: 1 collection (.1 linear feet (1 volume)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Drawings, watercolors, engravings, letters, and other documents by various artists
and authors removed from John Dillon's extra-illustrated copy of Joseph Spence's Anecdotes, observations, and characters of books and men.
77M-47. Purchased with the Amy Lowell fund; received: 1977 November 3. Purchased with 77-1517 PF.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Papers Removed from John Dillon's Extra-illustrated Copy of Joseph Spence's Anecdotes, Observations, and Characters of Books and Men, 1690-1956 (MS Eng 1336). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Items removed from Joseph Spence (1699-1768) volume: Anecdotes, Observations, and
Characters of Books and Men : collected from the conversation of Mr. Pope, and other
eminent persons of his time ... (1820); Houghton call-number: f*EC7.Sp326.820ab (HOLLIS
Includes pencil drawing of the bust of Alexander Pope by an unidentified artist, watercolors
by John Chessell Buckler, Thomas Coleman Dibdin and unidentified others, and engravings
by William Alfred Delamotte and George Vertue. Also contains letters of various correspondents,
including letters by Alexander Pope and Charles Eliot Norton. Also a fragment of Alexander
Pope's Windsor Forest, among other items.
- (2). Chandos, James Brydges, 1st duke of, 1674-1744. MS.L.s. to [Brian] Fairfax; Cannons, 19 Apr 1735. 1s.(2p.)
- (3). Delamotte, William Alfred, 1775-1863. Here Pope sung. Engraving; [n.p., n.d.]. 1s.(1p.)
- (4). Dibdin, Thomas Colman, 1810-1893. Maple Durham House, the seat of the Blounts. Watercolor, signed; [n.p.] 1852. 1s.(1p.).
- (5). Dorset, Charles Sackville, 6th earl of, 1638-1706. MS.L.s. to ; [n.p.] 10 Apr 1690. 1s.(3p.)
To the commissioners of the Treasury, requesting payment due to Michael Studholme.
- (6). Homerus. English. 1715-1720. Pope. [The Iliad translated by Alexander Pope; fragment]. MS.(engraved facsimile of Pope's hand); [n.p., n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
With a MS. annotation by John Dillon, on verso.
- (8). Norton, Charles Eliot, 1827-1908. A.L.s. to  Whitin; Shady Hill, 27 Jan 1901. 1s.(4p.)
Concerns an extra-illustrated copy of Spence's Anecdotes.
- (9). Peterborough, Charles Mordaunt, 3d earl of, 1658-1735. A.L.s. to Anne, queen of Great Britain; Barcelona, 27 May 1706. 1s.(1p.)
- (10). Pope, Alexander, 1688-1744. A.L.s. to William Fortescue; [n.p., n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
Publ. in The correspondence of Alexander Pope, ed. George Sherburn; Oxford, 1956. Vol IV, p.21.
- (11). Pope, Alexander, 1688-1744. [Windsor Forest; fragment]. A.MS.; [n.p.; ca. 1712]. 1s.(2p.)
Concluding 44 verses, pages 17-18 of the Washington University M.S. See Schmitz, Robert M., Pope's Windsor Forest...; St. Louis, 1952.
With A.MS. revisions in pencil and MS. annotations possibly in John Dillon's hand, p.17, and possibly in Jonathan Richardson's hand, p.18.
Lines no. 391-434.
- (12). Ramsay, Andrew Michael, 1686-1743. A.L.s. to [Antonio Schinella Conti]; [n.p., n.d.]. 1s.(4p.)
Contains message to Claude François Fraguier.
- (13). Ramsay, Andrew Michael, 1686-1743. A.L.s. to ; St. Germain en Laye, 11 Dec 1742. 1s.(2p.)
- (14). Ramsay, Andrew Michael, 1686-1743. [Receipt]. A.MS.s.; Paris, 1 Jun 1738. 1s.(1p.)
To  Sallet, treasurer to the duc de Bouillon.
- (15). Singer, Samuel Weller, 1783-1858. A.L.s. to [Robert] Triphook; Bonhill, 16 May 1822. 1s.(4p.)
- (16). Spence, Joseph,1699-1768. A.L.s. to [Robert] Dodsley; Byfleet, 25 Oct 1754. 1s.(2p.)
- (17). Steele, Richard, 1672-1729. A.L.s. to ; [n.p.] 4 Apr 1704. 1s.(1p.)
- (18). Tonson, Jacob, d. 1767. A.L.s. to  Wilson; [n.p., n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
- (19). Trumbull, Sir William, 1639-1716. A.L.s. to Charles Jarvis; [n.p.] 15 Aug 1714; 1s.(2p.)
Written on an envelope addressed by Joseph Addison.
- (20). Vertue, George, 1684-1756. Ioannis Miltoni effigies. Engraving; [n.p., n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
With an annotation by William Cole, on verso; Milton, 3 Jul 1770.
- (21). Warburton, William, bp. of Gloucester, 1698-1779. A.L.s. to  Nurse; Prior Park, 2 Apr 1750. 1s.(3p.)
- (22). Warton, Joseph, 1722-1800. A.L.s. to [John Pinkerton]; Winchester College, 28 Apr 1791. 1s.(2p.).