MS Thr 367
Provincetown Players. Provincetown Players correspondence: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Thr 367
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Provincetown Players.
Title: Provincetown Players correspondence,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence of the Provincetown players, including American dramatists George Cram
Cook, Susan Glaspell, and Eugene O'Neill and author Edna Kenton.
*79M-52. Source unknown.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Provincetown Players Correspondence (MS Thr 367). Harvard Theatre Collection, Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Clips and programs removed to the Regional Theatre collection.
The Provincetown Players was a theatrical organization founded in 1915 in Provincetown,
Massachusetts, by a group of writers and artists for the purpose of producing new
and experimental plays. It ceased productions in Dec. 1929.
Arranged alphabetically by author.
Correspondents include George Cram Cook, Edna Kenton, Susan Glaspell and Eugene O'Neill.
Correspondence discusses travel arrangements for various theatrical meetings. Also
discusses critical revisions of various scripts considered for production and some
produced by the Players. Much of the correspondence discusses literary and theatrical
criticism in general, specifically within New York and Chicago social circles. The
collection includes typewritten signed document by members of the Provincetown Players
concerning the use of the name Provincetown Playhouse and a draft agreement for the
formation of the Experimental Theatre. Drafts of the articles of incorporation, summaries
of meetings, some clippings, programs, and press releases are also present.
- (1). Cook, George Cram, 1873-1924. A.L.s. to Edna Kenton; [New York, 1921] 1s.(1p.)
- (2). Cook, George Cram, 1873-1924. A.L.s. to Executive committee of Susan Glaspell; [n.p.,n.d.] 1s.(2p.)
- (3). Dell, Floyd, 1887-1969. 6 letters to Edna Kenton;  & [n.d.]
- (4). Fitzgerald, Eleanor M T.L.s. to Edna Kenton; [n.p.] 4 Jun 1924. 1s.(1p.)
- (5). Fitzgerald, Eleanor M T.D.s. (carbon) concerning the use of the name Provincetown Playhouse; New York, 28 May 1924. Also signed by Cleon Throckmorton, Harry Weinberger, Kenneth Macgowan, Edna Kenton, and Susan Glaspell (per Edna Kenton). With carbon draft agreement concerning formation of the Experimental Theatre.
- (6). Glaspell, Susan, 1882-1948. 3 letters to Edna Kenton; 1922-1924.
Includes wrongly filed letter to Eleanor M. Fitzgerald, titled: "Dear Fitzie." See item (7) also.
- (7). Glaspell, Susan, 1882-1948. T.L.s. to Eleanor M. Fitzgerald; Provincetown  3s.(3p.)
With 5 copies.
See item (6) also.
- (8). Kenton, Edna, 1876-1954. 26 letters to George Cram Cook and Susan Glaspell; 1921-1924 & [n.d.]
- (9). Kenton, Edna, 1876-1954. T.L.s. to Eleanor M. Fitzgerald; [n.p.] 9 Dec 1923. 1s.(2p.)
- (10). Kenton, Edna, 1876-1954. T.L. (carbon) to Eleanor M. Fitzgerald; New York, 6 Jun 1924. 1s.(1p.)
- (11). Kenton, Edna, 1876-1954. T.L. (carbon) to Eugene O'Neill; New York, 25 May 1924. 1s.(1p.)
- (12). Kenton, Edna, 1876-1954. T.L. (carbon) to Eugene O'Neill; New York, 29 May 1924. 1s.(1p.)
- (13). Kenton, Edna, 1876-1954. T.D. (unsigned carbon) annotated by Edna Kenton; [New York, 1924] 7s.(7p.)
Proposed articles of incorporation of the Experimental Theatre Inc.
- (14). O'Neill, Eugene, 1888-1953. T.L.s. to Edna Kenton; Ridgefield, Connecticut, 26 May 1924. 1s.(1p.)