MS Eng 1343
Eccles, Mary Hyde, collector. Mary Hyde Eccles autograph collection: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Eng 1343
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Eccles, Mary Hyde, collector.
Title: Mary Hyde Eccles autograph collection,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.1 linear ft.)
Abstract: Autograph letters and manuscripts of various noted people from the collection of American
scholar, collector, and author Mary Hyde Eccles.
*79M-38. Gift of Mrs. Donald F. Hyde, Four Oaks Farm, 350 Burnt Mill Road, Somerville, New Jersey 08876; received: 1979 December.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Mary Hyde Eccles Autograph Collection (MS Eng 1343). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Eccles is an American scholar, collector, and author.
Includes letters from René Descartes, Desiderius Erasmus, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
Martin Luther, and Niccolò Machiavelli. Also includes an autograph manuscript of Abraham
Cowley's poem The garden,and a manuscript document on vellum by Sir Francis Drake among other items.
These manuscripts are described in The R.B. Adam Library relating to Dr. Samuel Johnson and his era (London and N.Y., 1929) vol. III.
- (1). Buchanan, George, 1506-1582. A.L.s. to Philippe de Marnix, seigneur de Sainte-Aldegonde; Stirling, 1 Nov 1576. 2s.(2p.)
Saying he has not written a verse in ten years as age has made him weak and lazy.
See Adam, p. 40.
- (2). Geneva. Conseil. MS.D.s. (by Louis Bouteiller & [ ] Bernard); Geneva, 1 Sep 1561. 1s.(2p.)
Order to pay Jean Calvin his quarterly salary. Includes MS.s. receipt in Calvin's hand, 18 Sep 1561. See Adam,
- (3). Calvin, Jean, 1509-1564. Signature; [n.p., n.d.]. 1s.(1p.)
Not in Adam.
- (4). Castiglione, Baldassare, conte, 1478-1529. A.L.s. to [Sigismondo Gonzaga]; Rome, 24 Jul 1519. 1s.(2p.)
Reporting on a meeting with Pope Leone X. See Adam, p. 55.
- (5). Cowley, Abraham, 1618-1667. A.L.s. to John Evelyn; Chertsey, 16 Aug 1666. 6f.(12p.)
Includes A.MS. poem "The garden". Publ. The works of Mr Abraham Cowley... (London, 1668) p. 114. See Adam, p. 73.
- (6). Descartes, René, 1596-1650. A.L.s. to [Marin Mersenne]; Leyden, 28 Oct 1640. 1s.(4p.)
Publ. (from another MS.) Oeuvres (Paris, 1899) vol III (Correspondance), p. 205. See Adam, p. 82.
- (7). Drake, Sir Francis, 1540?-1596. MS.D.s. on vellum; [n.p.] 3 Feb 1593. 1s.(1p.)
Bond in notarial hand for 20 covering Christopher Pearse and Ellezias Menuard of Tamerton Foliot and Richard Blandfield in the amount of 40. Signed by Sir Francis Drake and John Copleston as justices of the peace. See Adam, p. 87.
- (8). Elzevier, Louis, 1604-1670. A.L.s. to Galileo Galilei; Amsterdam, 9 Mar 1638. 1s.(2p.)
Concerning the printing of his writings. Partly publ. in translation in R.B. Adam,
p. 92. See Adam, p. 92.
- (9). Erasmus, Desiderius, d. 1536. A.L.s. to Vincent Cornelissen; Freiburg, 23 Apr 1534. 1s.(2p.)
Publ. Allen, no. 2923. See Adam, p. 93.
- (10). Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von, 1749-1832. A.L.s. to [Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller]; Weimar, 1 Dec 1794. 1s.(2p.)
Publ. Werke (Weimar, 1892), IV, 10, pp. 208-209. See Adam, p. 109.
- (11). Leibniz, Gottfried Wilhelm, freiherr von, 1646-1716. A.L.s. to [Charles-Rene d'Hofner]; Wolfenbuttel, 20/30 Aug 1697. 1s.(4p.)
mounted. Expressing concern about Augusts's illness and hope for a visit with him
in Paris. See Adam, p. 152.
- (12). Luther, Martin, 1483-1546. A.L.s. to Gregor Brück; [Wittenberg, 14 Apr] 1526. 1s.(2p.)
Publ. in Luther's Werke, Briefwechsel, 4 (1933)p. 51, letter no. 994. See Adam, p. 157.
- (13). Machiavelli, Niccolò, 1469-1527. A.L.s. to Francesco Vettori; Florence, 20 Dec 1514. 1s.(2p.)
One of the two letters written to Vettori on that date; both publ. Machiavelli, Lettere
(ed. Franco Gaeta, Milan, 1961)p. 367-8, no. 160. See Adam, p. 160.
- (14). Racine, Jean, 1639-1699. A.L.s. to [Nicolas Boileau-Despreaux]; [n.p.] 28 [May 1690]. 1s.(1p.)
Being too occupied in completing Athalie, he asks Boileau to make his excuses to Chretien Francois de Lamoignon, his wife, and Pere de la Rue, and to beg postponement of the reading
of the manuscripts. In Oeuvres completes de Boileau, Lettres a Racine et a divers (ed. Charles-H. Boudhors) Paris, 1943,p. 244. According to Boudhors this letter at
one time belonged to Felix Feuillet de Conches and was publ. in Oeuvres de Racine (ed. Aime-Martin) t. VI, 1844. The text was suppressed from subsequent editions of
Racine's works because later editors were not able to locate and check the original
manuscript. It is not included in the Pleiade ed. of Oeuvres completes de Racine (Paris,
Date: 1966) . See Adam, p. 201.
- (15). Taylor, John, 1580-1653. To the illustrious paragon of princes Elizabeth Princess Pallatine... A.MS., signed; [n.p., n.d.] 18s.(35p.)
mounted on larger sheets. Includes a second poem: "Upon the deplorable loss of the illustrious and magnaminious kinge of Sweaden...",
pp. 16-35. Not in Works (1630). See Adam, p. 235.
- (16). Vida, Marco Girolamo, bp. of Alba, 1480-1566. A.L.s. to [ ]; Rome, 6 Feb [n.d.]. 1s.(2p.)
See Adam, p. 248.