MS Eng 1148
Rothenstein, William, Sir, 1872-1945. Sir William Rothenstein correspondence
and other papers: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© 2003 The President and Fellows of Harvard College
Last update on 2015 February 24
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, Harvard University
Location: b, MS, f
Call No.: MS Eng 1148
Creator: Rothenstein, William, Sir, 1872-1945.
Title: Sir William Rothenstein correspondence and other papers,
Quantity: 66 boxes and 2 volumes (33 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters to English painter Sir William Rothenstein concerning both his
professional and personal life as well as compositions by other authors.
*60M-181. Gift of Mr Curt H. Reisinger, '12,
730 Fifth Avenue New York; received: 1960.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Sir William Rothenstein Correspondence and Other Papers (MS Eng 1148). Houghton Library,
Rothenstein was an English painter and president of the Royal College of Art
Organized into the following series:
- I. Letters to Sir William Rothenstein
- II. Family letters
- III. Letters from Sir William Rothenstein
- IV. Letters to Rachel Rothenstein
- V. Letters to Kenneth Romney Towndrow
- VI. Other letters
- VII. Compositions by others
Consists primarily of letters to Rothenstein concerning both his professional and
personal life as well as letters from Rothenstein to his family members and others.
contains letters to Rachel Rothenstein and Kenneth Romney Towndrow from various
correspondents, some third-party correspondence, and compositions by others, including
Rabindranath Tagore and Paul Verlaine. Also includes a photograph of Paul Verlaine.
Collection includes letters to his wife, Lady Alice Rothenstein.
Images linked to this finding aid are intended for public access and educational use.
This material is owned and/or held by the Houghton Library, and is provided solely
the purpose of teaching or individual research. Any other use, including commercial
reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution requires the
permission of the curator.
- Series: VI. Other letters
- (1722) Brown, Ford Madox, 1821-1893. 1 letter to
William Flint; 1887.
- (1723) Brown, Ford Madox, 1821-1893. 1 letter to
W. J. Knewstub; 1887.
- (1724) Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. 1 letter to
[Dorothy Kennard]; 1929.
- (1725) Charteris, Evan, 1864- 2 letters to [Mrs
] Nicolson; [n.d.]
- (1726) Cochran, Charles Blake, 1872-1951. 1 letter to
Ellis Roberts; 1932.
- (1727) Coombe, Helen 1 letter to [Miss ] Knewstub;
- (1728) Field, Michael, pseud. 1 letter to Noli [ ];
- (1729) Hueffer, Catherine Francis 1 letter to
W. J. Knewstub; 1894.
- (1730) Roberts, Harriet 1 letter; 1932, to Alfred John Wareing.
- (1731) Willard, Edward J. 1 letter; 1891, to [Miss ] Kingsley;
- (1731a) Yeats, William Butler, 1865-1939. 1 letter to
Rabindranath Tagore; 
- Series: VII. Compositions by others
- (1732) Andrews, Charles Freer, 1871-1940. Shanti-niketan. MS. poem
(unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 1s.(2p.)
- (1733) Andrews, Charles Freer, 1871-1940. Death the Revealer. MS. poem
s.; Bolpur [n.d.] 1s.(1p.)
- (1734) Brooke, Margaret Alice Lilly (De Windt) lady, rani of
Sarawak. TS.(unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 2s.(2p.)
- (1735) Housman, Alfred Edward, 1859-1936. Fragment of a Greek Tragedy. MS.s.; [n.p.,n.d.] 1s.(4p.)
- (1736) Lockley, Ronald Mathias, 1903- Sir
William Rothenstein at Skokholm Island Pembrokeshire. TS.(typed
signature); St. Martin's, Jersey  Jul 1949]
- (1737) Lytton, Neville, 1879- Sleep. A.MS.(unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 2s.(2p.)
- (1738) Lytton, Neville, 1879-. The Waste of Love. A.MS.(unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 1s.(1p.)
- (1739) MacColl, Dugald Sutherland, 1859- Handel Agonistes. A.MS.s.; [London,
- (1740) MacColl, Dugald Sutherland, 1859-. The White Peak. A.MS.s.; [n.p.,n.d.] 1s.(1p.)
- (1742) Molyneux, Caryl R. There is a battery of Howitzers on the Rhine Bank. TS.s.
poem; [Bonn, 20 Feb 1919] 1s.(1p.)
- (1743) O'Hara, Kate Something
of our joint experiences. TS.(unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 14s.(14p.)
Concerning Ruth Pitter.
- (1744) Roberts, Morley, 1857- The Memorial. TS.s.(carbon); [n.p.] 10 Mar 1923. 1s.(1p.)
- (1745) St. Stephen's Mural
Paintings. Notes of a meeting of the Painters
held on Sunday, 9th. Oct. 1927.
TS.(carbon,unsigned); [London?] 9 Oct 1927. 2s.(2p.)
- (1746) Tagore, Rabindranath, 1861-1941. Poems.
- (1747) Unidentified and miscellaneous material. 1 box.
- (1748) Postcard album [mostly postcard
addressed to Rachel Rothenstein from
Sir William Rothenstein]. 1v.
- (1749) Verlaine, Paul, 1844-1896. Letters, manuscripts,
and photograph. 2 volumes.
- f (1749) volume 1: Verlain MSS, 1893-1895.
1 volume, bound, including: autograph manuscript poems
by Verlaine, print images of Verlaine, autograph manuscript
letters from Verlaine to Sir William Rothenstein,
typescript transcripts of correspondence between Verlaine and
Rothenstein, and printed material about Verlaine.
Title taken from spine.
- MS (1749) volume 2: Paul Verlaine seated at a table : portrait
photograph (signed by Verlaine);
Photographed by Jules Hautecœur, stamped on verso.
Image reproduced by Dornac & Co. (Paris) in their
series Nos Contemporains chez Eux.
Inscribed on recto in Verlaine's hand: "Á Will Rothenstein, [ ? ] très
cordial Paul Verlaine."
Written on verso: "á l'hôpital Broussais - September