MS Eng 1148
Rothenstein, William, Sir, 1872-1945. Sir William Rothenstein
correspondence and other papers: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© 2003 The President and Fellows of Harvard College
Last update on 2013 September 21
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, Harvard University
Location: b, MS, f
Call No.: MS Eng 1148
Creator: Rothenstein, William, Sir, 1872-1945.
Title: Sir William Rothenstein correspondence and other papers,
Quantity: 66 boxes and 2 volumes (33 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters to English painter Sir William Rothenstein concerning both his
professional and personal life as well as compositions by other authors.
*60M-181. Gift of Mr Curt H. Reisinger, '12,
730 Fifth Avenue New York; received: 1960.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Sir William Rothenstein Correspondence and Other Papers (MS Eng 1148). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Rothenstein was an English painter and president of the Royal College of Art
Organized into the following series:
- I. Letters to Sir William Rothenstein
- II. Family letters
- III. Letters from Sir William Rothenstein
- IV. Letters to Rachel Rothenstein
- V. Letters to Kenneth Romney Towndrow
- VI. Other letters
- VII. Compositions by others
Consists primarily of letters to Rothenstein concerning both his professional and
personal life as well as letters from Rothenstein to his family members and others.
Also contains letters to Rachel Rothenstein and Kenneth Romney Towndrow from various
correspondents, some third-party correspondence, and compositions by others,
including Rabindranath Tagore and Paul Verlaine. Also includes a photograph of Paul
Collection includes letters to his wife, Lady Alice Rothenstein.
Images linked to this finding aid are intended for public access and educational use.
This material is owned and/or held by the Houghton Library, and is provided solely
for the purpose of teaching or individual research. Any other use, including
commercial reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution
requires the permission of the curator.
- Series: VI. Other letters
- (1722) Brown, Ford Madox, 1821-1893. 1 letter to
William Flint; 1887.
- (1723) Brown, Ford Madox, 1821-1893. 1 letter to
W. J. Knewstub; 1887.
- (1724) Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. 1 letter to
[Dorothy Kennard]; 1929.
- (1725) Charteris, Evan, 1864- 2 letters to
[Mrs ] Nicolson; [n.d.]
- (1726) Cochran, Charles Blake, 1872-1951. 1 letter
to Ellis Roberts; 1932.
- (1727) Coombe, Helen 1 letter to [Miss ] Knewstub;
- (1728) Field, Michael, pseud. 1 letter to Noli [ ];
- (1729) Hueffer, Catherine Francis 1 letter to
W. J. Knewstub; 1894.
- (1730) Roberts, Harriet 1 letter; 1932, to Alfred John Wareing.
- (1731) Willard, Edward J. 1 letter; 1891, to [Miss ] Kingsley;
- (1731a) Yeats, William Butler, 1865-1939. 1 letter
to Rabindranath Tagore; 
- Series: VII. Compositions by others
- (1732) Andrews, Charles Freer, 1871-1940. Shanti-niketan. MS. poem
(unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 1s.(2p.)
- (1733) Andrews, Charles Freer, 1871-1940. Death the Revealer. MS. poem
s.; Bolpur [n.d.] 1s.(1p.)
- (1734) Brooke, Margaret Alice Lilly (De Windt) lady, rani of
Sarawak. TS.(unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 2s.(2p.)
- (1735) Housman, Alfred Edward, 1859-1936. Fragment of a Greek Tragedy. MS.s.;
- (1736) Lockley, Ronald Mathias, 1903- Sir
William Rothenstein at Skokholm Island Pembrokeshire.
TS.(typed signature); St. Martin's, Jersey  Jul 1949] 1s.(2p.)
- (1737) Lytton, Neville, 1879- Sleep. A.MS.(unsigned); [n.p.,n.d.] 2s.(2p.)
- (1738) Lytton, Neville, 1879-. The Waste of Love. A.MS.(unsigned);
- (1739) MacColl, Dugald Sutherland, 1859- Handel Agonistes. A.MS.s.;
- (1740) MacColl, Dugald Sutherland, 1859-. The White Peak. A.MS.s.; [n.p.,n.d.] 1s.(1p.)
- (1742) Molyneux, Caryl R. There is a battery of Howitzers on the Rhine
Bank. TS.s. poem; [Bonn,
20 Feb 1919]
- (1743) O'Hara, Kate Something of our joint experiences. TS.(unsigned);
Concerning Ruth Pitter.
- (1744) Roberts, Morley, 1857- The Memorial. TS.s.(carbon); [n.p.] 10
Mar 1923. 1s.(1p.)
- (1745) St. Stephen's Mural
Paintings. Notes of a meeting of the
Painters held on Sunday, 9th. Oct. 1927.
TS.(carbon,unsigned); [London?] 9 Oct
- (1746) Tagore, Rabindranath, 1861-1941.
Poems. 1 box.
- (1747) Unidentified and miscellaneous material. 1 box.
- (1748) Postcard album [mostly postcard
addressed to Rachel Rothenstein from
Sir William Rothenstein]. 1v.
- (1749) Verlaine, Paul, 1844-1896. Letters,
manuscripts, and photograph. 2 volumes.
- f (1749) volume 1: Verlain MSS, 1893-1895.
1 volume, bound, including: autograph manuscript poems
by Verlaine, print images of Verlaine, autograph
manuscript letters from Verlaine to Sir William
Rothenstein, typescript transcripts of correspondence
between Verlaine and Rothenstein, and printed material about
Title taken from spine.
- MS (1749) volume 2: Paul Verlaine seated at a table : portrait
photograph (signed by
Photographed by Jules Hautecœur, stamped on
Image reproduced by Dornac & Co. (Paris) in
their series Nos Contemporains chez
Inscribed on recto in Verlaine's hand: "Á Will Rothenstein, [ ? ]
très cordial Paul Verlaine."
Written on verso: "á l'hôpital Broussais -