MS Am 2114
Alcott, Louisa May, 1832-1888. Louisa May Alcott additional papers, 1839-1888: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2114
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Alcott, Louisa May, 1832-1888.
Title: Louisa May Alcott additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Family correspondence and compositions of American writer Louisa May Alcott.
*81M-19. Deposited by the Louisa May Alcott Memorial Association Orchard House, PO Box 343 Concord, Massachusetts 01742; received: 1981 December 15.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Louisa May Alcott Additional Papers (MS Am 2114). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Alcott was an American novelist and short story writer.
Arranged alphabetically by author.
Collection of papers dealing with Louisa May Alcott's writing and details of her daily
life. Letters from Bronson Alcott during her childhood contain some moral precepts
and details of family life. Letters from Louisa's adulthood include a letter written
to her mother, Abigail, describing her works in progress and rate of pay, and a letter
from Anna Alcott Pratt (Louisa's sister) to Mary Walpole describing Louisa's involvement
in daily chores. Louisa's last diary chiefly records the details of her daily life
and the illness leading to her death. Among other items are a manuscript fragment
from the novel Jo's Boys and a poem written for her nephew Freddie.
- (1). Alcott, Amos Bronson, 1799-1888. 5 letters to Louisa May Alcott: A.L.s.("Father"); [Boston] 29 Nov 1839. 1s.(4p.).
- (2). A.L.s.("Father"); [n.p.] 1839. 1s.(3p.).
On p.2 the date 1840 is superimposed on 1839.
- (3). A.L.s.("Father"); [Concord] 21 Jun 1840. 1s.(4p.).
- (4). A.L.s.("Father"); Concord,  Dec 1840. 1s.(3p.).
- (5). A.L.s.("Father"); same, 29 Nov 1842. 2s.(4p.).
All in fragile condition.
- (6). Alcott, Louisa May, 1832-1888. A.L.s. to Abigail (May) Alcott; [n.p.] Jan 1868. 1s.(4p.).
- (9). Alcott, Louisa May, 1832-1888. [Diary]. A.MS.; [Boston] 1 Jan-2 Mar 1888. 31f.(59p.)
in 1 vol. of 101f.
With additional A.MS. entries, ff.88v-89v and on f.101r-101v.
With entries on inside front cover and on ff.31v-34v in the hand of Anna (Alcott) Pratt.
- (10). Pratt, Anna (Alcott), 1831-1893. A.L.s. to [Mary ]; Walpole, 21 Aug 1857. 1s.(4p.).
- (11). Alcott, Abigail (May), 1800-1877. [Annotations on:] "Residence of John Hancock, Beacon St., Boston." Newspaper picture, pasted on a larger sheet with MS. annotations by Abigail (May)
Alcott and by Anna (Alcott) Pratt. 1s.(2p.).