MS Am 1998.2
Hawkes, John, 1925-1998. John Hawkes additional compositions: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1998.2
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Hawkes, John, 1925-1998.
Title: John Hawkes additional compositions,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Novel drafts of American novelist John Hawkes.
*81M-80. Purchased from John Hawkes [via Paul Grinke Rare Books Ltd., 38 Devonshire Place,
London WIN IPE] with the Amy Lowell fund; received: 1983 June 15 and 17.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
John Hawkes Additional Compositions (MS Am 1998.2). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Hawkes (1925-1998) was an American novelist.
Arranged alphabetically by title.
Consists primarily of manuscripts by Hawkes, particularly various drafts with corrections
and revisions of his ninth novel, Virginie, Her Two Lives. Also contains notes, fragments, jacket covers, and blurbs for Virginie.
- (1). Hawkes, John, 1925-1998. [Introduction to James Laughlin]. TS. with A.MS. corrections and revisions; [Providence] 18 Nov 1981. 3s.(3p.)
Introducing James Laughlin as a speaker at Brown University.
- (2). Hawkes, John, 1925-1998. A modest proposal: or, gourmet dining in a Provençal village. TS. with A.MS. revisions and annotations; New York, [n.d.]. 8s.(8p.)
- (3). Hawkes, John, 1925-1998. Yvonne's last word: or, a portion of a pioneer sociologist's tape transcribed. TS. with A.MS. corrections and revisions; New York, [n.d.]. 15s.(15p.)
Variant of chapter entitled, " The peacock pin continued..." in Virginie (publ. London, 1981).
- (7). Hawkes, John, 1925-1998. Virginie, her two lives [jacket covers & jacket blurb for American edition, New York 1982]. 1 folders
Also with publisher's announcement.
- (8). Solotaroff, Ted. Virginie; her two lives by John Hawkes. TS.(photocopy) with MS. revisions by Hawkes; [n.p., n.d.]. 2s.(2p.)
Description of Hawkes's novel [for an American edition?].