MS Am 1287-1287.4, MS Am 1287.6-1287.8
Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907. Thomas Bailey Aldrich additional papers: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1287-1287.4, MS Am 1287.6-1287.8
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907.
Title: Thomas Bailey Aldrich additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 linear foot (6 volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letterbook, daguerreotype, and manuscripts of American poet, editor, and novelist
Thomas Bailey Aldrich.
*42M-1146; *42M-1148; *42M-1149; *42M-1150; *42M-1151; *42M-1152; *42M-1554; and *42M-1647. Deposited by Talbot Aldrich, Esq.; received: 1942-1944, gift: 1947 Dec. 1, 1948 Mar. 9, and 1948 July 9.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Images linked to this finding aid are intended for public access and educational use.
This material is owned and/or held by the Houghton Library, and is provided solely
for the purpose of teaching or individual research. Any other use, including commercial
reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution requires the permission
of the curator.
Thomas Bailey Aldrich Additional Papers (MS Am 1287-1287.8). Houghton Library, Harvard
Aldrich was a poet, novelist and short story writer, and editor of Every Saturday (1865-1874) and The Atlantic Monthly (1881-1890).
Organized into the following series:
- I. MS Am 1287: Letterpress copybook
- II. MS Am 1287.1-1287.8: Compositions and daguerreotype
Includes letters and manuscripts by Aldrich. One letterpress copybook contains 22
letters, 1881-1890, by Aldrich (most with typed transcripts), concerned chiefly with
Atlantic Monthly editorial matters. Manuscripts of works by Aldrich include: The last Caesar, Tom Folio, Poor Yorick, Judith of Bethulla, and The Tents of Asshur, an early version of Judith of Bethulla. In addition there is an illustrated transcript of Aldrich's poem, "Baby Bell" done
by L.T. Hyde, and a daguerreotype portrait of Aldrich from the 1850s.
- Series: MS Am 1287. I. Letterpress copybook
Book containing 22 letters, 1881-1890, by Aldrich (most with typed transcripts), concerned
chiefly with Atlantic Monthly editorial matters.
- (12). Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907. A.N.s. (T. B. Aldrich) to [Samuel] [Green] [Wheeler] Benjamin; [Boston] 23 Dec 1882. p.
- Series: II. MS Am 1287.1-1287.8: Compositions and daguerreotype
- MS Am 1287.1. Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907. The last Caesar, 1851-1870 : AMs, [Boston? 1870?]. 1v.
- MS Am 1287.2. Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907. Tom Folio : AMs, Ponkapog, Mass. 1903.
Bound with MS Am 1287.1.
- MS Am 1287.3. Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907. Poor Yorick : [Ponkapog, Mass.? 1900?
Bound with MS Am 1287.1.
Author's autograph ms.
- MS Am 1287.4. Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907. Judith of Bethulfa, a tragedy : AMs, [Boston] 1904. 1 Volumes
- MS Am 1287.5 has its own finding aid. See HOLLIS and OASIS for separate listing.
- MS Am 1287.6. Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907. Baby Bell : illustrated manuscript transcript, [n.p.] 1885. 1 Volumes
Poem by L.T. Hyde.
- MS Am 1287.8. Aldrich, Thomas Bailey, 1836-1907. The tents of Asshur : AMs, [Boston] 1904. 2 Volumes
An early version of Aldrich's Judith of Bethulfa. *42M-1649F.
With related volume, Autograph signatures, apparently for a dinner party at the Union
Club of Boston, 13 Oct. 1904, in connection with the opening of this play. *42M-1649F.