MS Am 1854.9
Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. John Jay Chapman additional papers, 1804-1937: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1854.9
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933.
Title: John Jay Chapman additional papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Additional papers of American writer and reformer, John Jay Chapman.
*89M-9. Gift of Richard Stone; received: 1990.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
John Jay Chapman Additional Papers, 1804-1937 (MS Am 1854.9). Houghton Library, Harvard
Chapman was an American essayist, poet, and reformer.
Includes correspondence, land deeds, and manuscripts. Correspondents include Margaret
Chanler Aldrich, Conrad Chapman, Elizabeth Winthrop Chanler Chapman, Jay Chapman,
Charles Stewart Davison, and others. Many letters are condolences to Elizabeth and
John Jay Chapman on the death of their son, Jay Chapman, in 1903.
- (1). Aldrich, Margaret Livingston (Chanler), 1870- . 1 letter to Jay Chapman; 1903.
- (2). Chapman, Conrad, 1896- . 2 letters to Chanler Armstrong Chapman; 1937.
Item 2 includes 1 letter from Charles Stewart Davison to Conrad Chapman, 1937.
- (3). Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. 26 letters to Elizabeth Winthrop (Chanler) Chapman; 1897-1933 and [n.d.].
Photocopies of letters thought to be destroyed in a fire at Chanler Chapman's house, Good Hap.
- (4). Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. Health, Disease and F. E. Alexander. TS.(photocopy); New York, 31 Dec 1917. 10s.(10p.)
Essay thought to have been destroyed in a fire.
- (5). Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. May. TS. with A.MS. revisions(photocopy); [n.p.] 10 May 1919. 1s.(1p.)
- (6). [ ]. A.MS.(photocopy); [n.p.] 29 Jul 1897. 1s.(1p.)
- (7). Henry St. settlement permanent fund committee. 1 letter to John Jay Chapman; 1916.
With letter from [ ]; 1919 containing clipping.
- (8). [Letters of condolence sent to Elizabeth Winthrop (Chanler) Chapman on the death of her son, Jay Chapman]. 21 letters to Elizabeth Winthrop (Chanler) Chapman; 1903.
- (9). [Letters of condolence sent to John Jay Chapman on the death of his son, Jay Chapman]. 7 letters; 1903.
- (10). [Land deeds to property that presumably passed into the hands of the Chanler and Chapman families]. MS.(in various hands); [v.p.] 1804-1853. 15 items.