MS Am 1114
Barnstable County (Mass.). Barnstable County (Mass.) documents: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1114
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Barnstable County (Mass.).
Title: Barnstable County (Mass.) documents,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.1 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Eighteenth-century legal documents issued by John Otis, Barnstable County (Mass.)
Recataloged from: CL 10138, CL 10139, CL 10140, CL 10144, CL 10238, CL 10286.
Bequest of George Lyman Kittredge; received: 1944 .
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Barnstable County (Mass.) Documents (MS Am 1114). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
John Otis, Esquire (1687-1758) graduated from Harvard College in 1707. He was a member
of "His Majesty's Honorable Council" from 1747 until his death, as well as king's
Documents, letters and summons issued primarily by John Otis, the clerk of Barnstable
- (1). Barnstable co., Mass. Inferior court of common pleas. MS.D.s. (John Otis); Barnstable, Jan 1716-1717. 1s. (2p.)
Bill of costs, Seth Taylor v. Samuel Young. Also signed by William Bassett, cler[k]
Recat. fr: C1 10138
- (3). Friends, Society of. Sandwich monthly meeting, Barnstable co., Mass. MS.L.s. (Zacheus Wing, Nicolas Davis, Edward Wing, Seth Lilley) to the Boston yearly meeting; Dartmouth, Mass., 31 Oct 1748. 1s. (1p.)
Concerns relief of Hatsell O'Kelley, imprisoned for resisting impressment.
Recat. fr: C1 10144
- (4). Barnstable co., Mass. Justices of the peace. MS.D.s. (John Otis, Joseph Dimock); Barnstable, 10 Oct 1748. 1s. (2p.)
Mittimus, sending Hatsell O'Kelley to jail for 6 months for disregarding an impressment.
Recat. fr: C1 10238
- (5). Barnstable co., Mass. Court of general sessions. MS.D.s. (Joseph Otis, cler[k]); Barnstable, 24 Sept 1765. 1s. (2p.)
Summons on Nathaniel Hinckley. Signed also by Prince Marston, deputy sheriff.
Recat. fr: C1 10140
- (6). Barnstable co., Mass. The county of Barnstable to James Otis Esqr debter... A.D.s. (James Otis); Barnstable, Sept 1771. 1s. (2p.)
Also signed by Joseph Otis, and receipted by James Otis, 3 Mar 1772.
Recat. fr: C1 10286.