MS Am 1445-1445.4
Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968. Witter Bynner compositions: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 1445-1445.4
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968.
Title: Witter Bynner compositions,
Date(s): 1915-1957 (inclusive).
Quantity: 1 collection (1 linear foot (2 boxes and 2 volumes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Manuscripts of works by American poet and translator Witter Bynner.
*56M-74, *56M-75, *56M-76, *56M-158, *59M-107. Gift of Witter Bynner, 342 Buena Vista Road, Sante Fe, New Mexico; received: 1956 Oct, 1957 Mar. 6, and 1959
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Witter Bynner Compositions (MS Am 1445-1445.4). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Bynner was an American poet and translator.
Arranged in call number order.
Manuscripts of works by Bynner including: Journey with Genius: Recollections and Reflections concerning the D. H. Lawrences, and The Way of Life according to Laotzu. Also includes a translation of Euripides' Iphigenia in Tauris and an incomplete text of the Spectra poems done with Arthur Davison Ficke.
- MS Am 1445. Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968. Journey with genius. Recollections and reflections concerning the D.H. Lawrences : Ts (carbon) with AMs revisions; [no place, undated]. 500f.(500p.) in 1 box.b
Published in 1951.
- MS Am 1445.1. Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968. The way of life according to Laotzu : Ts with AMs revisions; [no place, undated]. 139f. (192p.) in 1 box.b (shelved with bMS Am 1445.2)
Published in 1944.
- MS Am 1445.2. Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968. 1956 English translation of Euripides' Iphigenia in Tauris : Ts with AMs revisions; [no place], 1954-1955. 162f.(173p.)b (shelved with bMS Am 1445.1)
Author's note: "Progressive . . . manuscripts in rewriting the 1915-1916 version." Published in 1956.
- MS Am 1445.3. Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968. 1957 English translation of Euripides' Iphigenia in Tauris : Ts with AMs revisions; [no place, 1957]. 1v.
Two states of the revision: the earlier, 48p.; the later, 70p. In looseleaf notebook.
- MS Am 1445.4. Bynner, Witter, 1881-1968. Spectra : Ts with AMs revisions; [no place, ca.1915-1916]. 30f.(30p.) in 1v.
Written in collaboration with Arthur Davison Ficke, whose AMs revisions also appear. A literary hoax parodying the imagist poets that
was perpertrated by Bynner and Ficke. Not the complete text as published in 1916.
Preface contains passages later discarded.