OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL.Hough:hou00235View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 233.50
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Poems of the "Old South" in autograph manuscript,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.2 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Autograph poems concerning the Old South Meeting House in Boston, Massachusetts, with portrait photographs of the authors.
The Old South Meeting House, also known as the Old South Church (Boston, Mass.), was built in 1729 as a Puritan meeting house. It was an assembly spot for prominent meetings from colonial times through the American revolution. The building was restored after the revolution and remained an active church until 1872. It was saved from demolition in 1877 when it was established as a museum. A volume was published to help raise funds for the preservation entitled, Poems of the "Old South" (Boston: William F. Gill & Co., 1877). It was published again in 1879 by the Old South Fair Committee. Both published versions include a note on verso of the title page: "Published for the benefit of the Old South preservation fund."
This volume contains the autograph manuscripts of some of the poems published in the 1877 and 1879 volumes. Poems concern the "Old South" and other topics. Some of the published titles vary from the manuscripts. Portrait photographs of the authors are also included.