MS Am 2058
Morse, Charles F. (Charles Fessenden), 1839-1926. Charles Fessenden Morse addresses
on the Civil War, etc.: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2058
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Morse, Charles F. (Charles Fessenden), 1839-1926.
Title: Charles Fessenden Morse addresses on the Civil War, etc.,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 volume (.1 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Typescript speeches given by Morse on Civil War-related subjects.
*91M-43. Transferred from Widener Library; received: 1992 Feb. 27.
Recataloged from: US 5413.74.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Charles Fessenden Morse Addresses on the Civil War, etc. (MS Am 2058). Houghton Library,
Morse was a leader in business and social circles in Kansas City, Missouri. He participated
in the early days of the stockyards, packing houses, and railroads. He was born and
raised in the Boston area and attended Harvard University, graduating with a S.B.
in 1858. He served as a Captain in the 2nd Massachusetts infantry for the Union forces
during the Civil War. In 1879 Morse went to Kansas City as general manager of the
Kansas City Stockyards Company. Together with Charles Francis Adams, a Boston financier,
they built Kansas City's primary industry into the second busiest in the nation.
Arranged as bound in volume.
12 typescript and typescript (carbon) speeches concerning the American Civil War,
especially the Massachusetts Infantry, 2nd regiment.
- (1). Response to toast "Harvard in the War" : Ts, ca. 1890-1900.
Given at a meeting of the Harvard Club of Kansas City where Harvard University President Charles W. Eliot was guest of honor.
- (2). Eliot, Charles W. (Charles William), 1899-. Letter to Charles Fessenden Morse, 1917 June 27.
Concerns Morse's remarks in Kansas City.
- (3). Letter from Morse to the Comrades of the Second Mass. Infantry Association : TsS, 1902 Sept. 14.
Written by Morse as president of the Association to commemorate the 40th anniversary
of the Battle of Antietam, 1902 Sept. 17.
- (4). Address to the "2nd Survivors" : Ts, 1911 July 8.
Given by Morse as "president of the day," at Camp Andrew, at the 50th anniversary
of leaving Camp Andrew for Virginia.
- (5). Paper on the Civil War read at the Harvard Club of Boston : Ts (carbon) with AMs corrections,
1915 Apr. 9.
- (6). Memorial Day address : Ts (carbon) with AMs corrections, 1914.
Concerns the Civil War.
- (7). Paper read at meeting of Missouri Commandery of M.O.L.L.U.S. at Kansas City, sometime
about 1885 : Ts (carbon) with AMs corrections, ca. 1885.
MOLLUS is the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States.
- (8). Brief record of Second Massachusetts Infantry Regiment 1861-1865 : Ts (carbon), 1907 Jan. 16.
Marked as enclosed to Colonel William C. Hayes of the 2nd Mass.
- (9). An incident of the Civil War : Ts with AMs corrections, 1902 June.
Paper on guerilla atrocities in Tennessee,1864. Read at meeting of Military Order of the Loyal Legion, Kansas City, Mo.
- (10). The relief of Chattanooga October 1863 and guerrilla operations in Tennessee : Ts (carbon), 1915 Jan. 5.
Paper read at meeting of the Massachusetts Military Historical Society , Boston, Ma.
- (11). Experience with the 12th Corps in the Chancellorsville Campaign : Ts with AMs corrections, 1921 Apr. 5.
Read at meeting of the Massachusetts Military Historical Society.
- (12). Personal recollections of the occupation of Atlanta and Sherman's march to the sea
1864 : Ts (carbon), undated.