MS Am 2286
Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. John Jay Chapman letters to Theodore Baird and other
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Location: Harvard Depository
Call No.: MS Am 2286
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933.
Title: John Jay Chapman letters to Theodore Baird and other papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear ft. (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Letters from American essayist and poet, John Jay Chapman giving advice on reading
and other matters.
*84M-30. Gift of Theodore Baird, 38 Shays Street, RD 6, Amherst, Ma 01002 (via transfer from the Harvard University
Archives); received: 1984 Dec. 13.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
John Jay Chapman Letters to Theodore Baird and Other Papers (MS Am 2286). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
John Jay Chapman was an American essayist, poet, playwright, and reformer. His wife
was Elizabeth Winthrop Chanler Chapman. Theodore Baird was a professor of English
at Amherst College, Massachusetts.
Organized into the following two series:
- I. Letters
- II. Other papers
John Jay Chapman's letters to Baird contain thoughts and advice on reading and other
matters concerning young Baird's life and studies. Elizabeth Chapman's letters concern
securing her husband's letters to Baird for possible publication. Collection also
contains clippings on various members of the Chapman family and pamphlets by or about John Jay Chapman.
This collection is shelved offsite at the Harvard Depository. See access restrictions
below for additional information.
- Series: I. Letters
- (1). Chapman, Elizabeth Winthrop Chanler, 1866-1937. Letters to Theodore Baird, 1934-1936. 1 folders
Also includes visiting card of Elizabeth Chapman.
- (2). Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. Letters to Theodore Baird, 1917-1930. 1 folders
- Series: II. Other papers
- (3). Baird, Theodore, 1901-. Review of The selected writings of John Jay Chapman : print, 1958. 1 folders
From the New England Quarterly, March 1958.
- (4). Chapman, John Jay, 1862-1933. Reprints : print, 1901 and undated. 1 folders
- The unity of human nature. An address delivered before the Phi Beta Kappa Society
at Hobart College. From the International Journal of Ethics, Jan., 1901.
- The Greek genius, undated.
- (5). Clippings on the Chapman family : print, 1933 and undated. 1 folders
- (6). Wister, Owen, 1860-1938. Two appreciations of John Jay Chapman : print, 1934. 1 folders