MS Am 2248
Portraits of George Washington, 1781-1804: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2248
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Portraits of George Washington,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 linear feet (3 portfolio boxes, and 4 framed and hung items)
Abstract: 12 prints of American president George Washington.
44WM-19, 44WM-20, 44WM-21, 44WM-22, 44WM-23, 44WM-24, 44WM-25, 44WM-26, 44WM-27, 44WM-28, 44WM-29. Deposited by W. B. O. Field, Westfield, Lake Mohegan, New York; received: spring 1944; gift 1949 June 7.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt and Evelyn Walker
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Portraits of George Washington, 1781-1804 (MS Am 2248). Houghton Library, Harvard
George Washington (1732-1799) was the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the American
Revolutionary War and later became the first president of the United States of America.
- For additional information on these portraits see: Charles Henry Hart. Catalogue of the engraved portraits of Washington. (The Grolier Club, New York. Publications; no. 42 : 1904).
Collection of mostly portrait prints of American president George Washington, including
engravings,etchings, stipple engravings, and mezzotints. Some are framed.
- (1). Bell, Edward, engraver. The Washington family : print (mezzotint), London, after painting by Jeremiah Paul, Jr.(1720-1820?), published by Atkins and Nightingale, 1800 Dec. 1. 1 print, framed; image 46 x 59 cm; in frame 65 x 80 cmHung in Section A of the Lamont stacks, across from aisle A-17
A portrait of Washington in uniform taking leave of Mrs. Washington. Also includes
an African American groom, a white horse, a boy and two girls.
Hart number 765.
- (2). Columbia lamenting the loss of her son : print (stipple and etching, hand-colored), Philadelphia, published by Pember & Luzarder, 1800. 1 print, framed; image 30 x 25 cm, in frame 43 x 38 cmpf (shelved with item 8)
Hart number 644.
- (5). G. Washington in his last illness attended by Docrs. Craik and Brown : print (stipple and etching, hand-colored), [Philadelphia?, ca. 1800?]. 1 print; 31 x 24 cm
Engraving attributed to Edward Pember and James Luzarder.
Depicts the death bed scene of George Washington with two doctors next to Washington
lying in his bed, and Martha Washington sitting at end of bed.
Not located, December 2002.
- (6). General Washington, late president of the United States : print (mezzotint), London, published by John Fairburn, 1801 Feb. 6. 1 print, framed; image 16 x 12.5 cm, in frame 24 x 19 cmHung in P31-30
No Hart number.
- (8). Green, Valentine, 1739-1813, engraver. General Washington : print (mezzotint), London, after a painting by John Trumball, published by V. Green, 1783 June 3. 1 print, framed; image 36 x 26 cm, in frame 55 x 42 cmpf (shelved with item 2)
Hart number 101.
- (9). Green, Valentine, 1739-1813, engraver. General - Washington : print (mezzotint), London, after a 1780 painting by John Trumbull, published by V. Green, 1781 Jan. 15. 1 print, framed; image 63 x41 cm, in frame 84 x 60 cmHung in P31-30
Hart number 84.
- (10). His excellency George Washington, commander in chief of the American armies, marshal
of France : print (line), after a painting by John Trumbull, published in Gentleman's monthly and London Magazine, 1783? 1 print in 1 folder; 21 x 13 cmpf
Hart number 88.
- (11). Nutter, William, engraver. Geo. Washington Esq.r - Late president of the United States of America : print (stipple engraving, hand-colored), London, painted by C.G. Stuart, pinx [Gilbert Stuart] and published by Robt. Cribb [Robert Cribb], 1798 Jan. 15. 1 print, framed; 31 x 20 cm, in frame 41 x 31 cmpf
Hart number 428.
- (12). Wetherbee, S., engraver. G. Washington - President of the - United States : print (hand-colored etching), in the manner of Joseph Wright, undated. 1 print in 1 folder; 24 x 20 cmpf
Hart number 153.