MS Am 2245
Immigration Restriction League (U.S.). Immigration Restriction League (U.S.) records,
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2245
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Immigration Restriction League (U.S.).
Title: Immigration Restriction League (U.S.) records,
Quantity: 1 collection (12 linear feet (23 boxes and 17 volumes)
Abstract: Records of the Immigration Restriction League (U.S.), especially those of Prescott
F. (Farnsworth) Hall, one of the founders and executive secretary from 1896-1921.
The bulk of these materials form part of the Harvard College Library Immigration Collection
of Prescott Farnsworth Hall, Class of 1889, Secretary of the Immigration Restriction
League, 1896-1921. Gift of Mrs. Lucyle Hall; received: 1922 Oct. 7.
A small amount of printed and bound materials in this collection formed part of the
Robert DeCourcy Ward Immigration Collection given through the Social Ethics Library, 1922 Sept. 21; transferred from Widener in 1999 as *99M-48.
Processed by: J.F. Coakley, Katy Rawdon, Deborah A. Richards, Bonnie B. Salt, and
Recataloged from the following call numbers:
XP 9979 (formerly US 1058x.xx) loose pamphlets on immigration.
US 10583.9.8 IRL. Annual Reports, 1894-1903.
US 10583.9.25F Record books of the IRL.
US 10583.9.30F Papers: a special collection of manuscript records, reports, etc.
US 10583.9.36 List of previous members, 1927.
XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.20.5, US 10587.20.10) Bound book containing pamphlets on immigration restriction.
XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.20.15, US 10587.20.20, US 10587.20.25, US 10587.20.30, US 10587.20.35) Bound clippings books on immigration restriction.
XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.25.3) Miscellaneous documents relating to immigration from the 54th Congress.
XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.29) Bound clippings books on immigration, 1894-1920.
US 10587.29.5F Scrapbooks of Prescott Hall.
XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.29.10) The Far Eastern Bureau Monthly reports, 1915 Jan.
US 10587.40 Additional manuscript records, reports, etc.
US 10587.43 Luce's clippings on immigration.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Images linked to this finding aid are intended for public access and educational use.
This material is owned and/or held by the Houghton Library, and is provided solely
for the purpose of teaching or individual research. Any other use, including commercial
reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution requires the permission
of the curator.
Immigration Restriction League (U.S.) Records, 1893-1921 (MS Am 2245). Houghton Library,
There are also additional materials on immigration and this League in the Harvard
Law School Library. See HOLLIS for additional information.
Part of the Prescott Farnsworth Hall Immigration Collection remains in the collection
of printed materials in the Harvard College Library. See HOLLIS for additional information.
The Immigration Restriction League was founded in 1894 by three Harvard College graduates,
Charles Warren, Robert DeCourcy Ward, and Prescott Farnsworth Hall, in response to an increasing sense of invasion of the United States by "undesirable
immigrants" that threatened their sense of the American way of life. The League was
founded in Boston, but quickly spread to many other cities across the United States.
The main intention of the League was to educate people to what the founders saw as
serious problems in the immigration system, to lobby the U.S. government for the reform
of that system, to gain support for immigration restriction from major intellectual,
industrial, and philanthropic individuals and organizations, and to pass laws effecting
the restriction. The League remained active for nearly twenty years, but after the
death of Hall their energy waned, and the League eventually disbanded.
Prescott F. (Farnsworth) Hall, in addition to being a founding member of the League,
was elected General Secretary to the Executive Committee of Immigration Restriction
Leagues, the overarching board for the national movement, in 1896.
For additional information on the League see: Barbara Miller Solomon. Ancestors and Immigrants: A Changing New England Tradition. (University of Chicago Press : 1956).
- Barbara Miller Solomon. Ancestors and Immigrants: A Changing New England Tradition. (University of Chicago Press : 1956).
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Correspondence to and from the IRL
- ___A. Correspondence.
- ___B. Circular letters
- II. Record books of the IRL
- III. Scrapbook
- IV. Compositions
- ___A. Compositions, 1897-1921
- ___B. Miscellaneous notes and memoranda, 1894-1921
- ___C. Undated compositions
- V. Clippings
- VI. Printed materials relating to immigration
- VII. Printed materials by the IRL
- ___A. IRL administrative materials
- ___B. IRL numbered publications
- ___C. Far Eastern Bureau Reports
The bulk of this collection consists of the papers of Hall as a member and secretary
of the League, and includes internal and external correspondence, essays, drafts, minutes of meetings, printed materials, and newspaper clippings, encompassing approximately the dates 1893-1921. Topics include discussions of desirable
and undesirable immigrants, forms of immigration restriction, actions in the U.S.
Congress regarding immigration, eugenics, and views of labor on immigration.
Some of the people associated with the inner circle of the IRL were: Prescott F.
(Prescott Farnsworth) Hall [secretary and founder], Samuel B. (Samuel Billings) Capen,
Thornton Cooke, James Robert Dunbar, George Franklin Edmunds, Frank Boyd Gary, Madison
Grant, Henry Holt, William Dewitt Hyde, Joseph Lee Franklin MacVeagh, John F. Moors
[president], Robert Treat Paine, Henry Parkman, James Horace Patten, James Bronson
Reynolds, Robert DeCourcy Ward, Charles Warren [founder and secretary], and Owen Wister.
Collection also includes clippings, pamphlets books, and loose printed materials from
the collection of Robert DeCourcy Ward, one of the founders of the IRL.
- Series: I. Correspondence to and from the IRL.
Correspondence ca. 1893-1921, primarily to and from Prescott F. Hall as Secretary
of the Immigration Restriction League, and also to and from other IRL members. A large
amount of the correspondence consists of replies to form letters, or "circulars,"
sent out by the IRL to gauge public opinion and solicit support. These replies range
from short notes stating support, to long letters detailing the respondents' views
on immigration. Correspondents include presidents of many prominent colleges and universities,
as well as public figures such as Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, Theodore Roosevelt, Alexander
Graham Bell, Louis Brandeis, and Madison Grant. Also includes "on-the-road" updates
by James Prescott, which are mainly updates on proceedings in Washington, D.C.
: Organized into the following series:
- A. Correspondence
- B. Circular letters
- Series: II. Record books of the IRL.
This series contains four bound volumes that are record books of the internal workings
of the League. Three of the volumes are the minutes of meetings of the executive committee
from 1894-1920. The minutes generally include date, place, and attendees of the meetings, votes taken, reports
by committee members, and notes on the meetings' discussions. The fourth volume is
a ledger book recording income and expenditures from 1910-1917, entered by date, including
the name of contributor or recipient of funds.
- Series: IV. Compositions.
This series contains manuscript compositions (including printed sheets with manuscript
annotations) by IRL members and compositions by others that concern immigration and
related subjects. These compositions, found with the IRL records, were in total disarray
and, for the most part, authors could not be determined. Consequently, the materials
were arranged in the repository by date. A few items contain papers with more than
one date and are placed in the series according to their latest dates.
Materials include: draft essays, drafts of governmental bills, notes and note cards for essays and speeches (presumably authored by Hall), resolutions or endorsements written or signed by other
organizations favoring immigration restriction, notes and reports by other organizations,
and lists (primarily by the League), including membership, contributions, and influence lists.
: Organized into the following sub-series:
- A. Compositions, 1897-1921
- B. Miscellaneous notes and memoranda, 1894-1921 and undated
- C. Undated compositions
- A. Compositions, 1897-1921.
- (1055). Compositions, 1897-1902. 6 folders
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. "Immigration" : print with Ms annotations, [ca. 1897]. Hall's article for the Encyclopedia of Social Reform, 2nd. ed., 1898.
- Lists of newspapers in favor of immigration restriction : Ts, 1897, with Ms annotations
up to 1901.
- United States. Bureau of Immigration. "Instructions" : Ts, 1898.
- Lists of newspapers in favor of immigration restriction : Tss, 1902.
- Official recommendations as to amendments in the immigration laws : Ts, 1902.
- United States. Commissioner of Immigration for the Port of New York. "Annual report to the Commissioner General of Immigration" : Ts (carbon), 1902.
- (1056). Compositions, 1903. 7 folders
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Notes for the book Immigration and its effects upon the United States (1906) : AMss, Tss, clippings,
Date: 1894-1903 and undated. The papers are marked with Roman numbers, apparently incomplete. These
appear to correspond for the most part to the chapters of the published book, although
some numbers correspond to the chapters of the earlier draft (see the next item).
Includes sections: I, II, III, IV, VI, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIIG, XIV, XV,
XX-XXIII. Section II includes an undated letter from Charles T. Wentworth to Richards M. Bradley. Section XIIG includes a draft headed "Constitutionality of immigration legislation."
- Immigration Restriction League. Memorandum of agreement with F. H. Ainsworth. With instructions to him as IRL agent in New York : Tss, 1903.
- Resolutions favoring restriction of immigration by an illiteracy test : print, 1902-1903.
Printed form of a resolution filled in by various societies.
- (1057). Compositions, 1904. 5 folders
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Our future city population and its relation to city government : Ts, 1904. Annotated: This article is the substance of an address delivered before
the Economic Club of Boston, Apr. 28, 1904.
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Table of contents for a book on immigration and the Immigration Restriction League
: Ts with Ms annotations, 1904. This appears to be a draft of Hall's 1906 book Immigration and its effects upon the United States, but the chapter numbers are different, and there are extra chapters here. Possibly
a later version?
- United States. Bureau of Immigration. Annual report for the Ellis Island Immigrant Station for the fiscal year ended June
30, 1904 : Ts (duplicated), 1904.
- Report to Conference Committee of the Southeastern Passenger Association : Ts (carbon),
- Gannett, Henry. Statement on immigration policy : Ts, 1904.
- (1058). Compositions, 1905. 6 folders
- Aliens Act, 1905 (5 Edw. 7, cap. 13) : Ts (carbon), 1905.
- Extracts from reports of the Commissioner-General of Immigration : Tss, [ca. 1905].
- History of illiteracy test bills : Ts and Ms, 1905.
- Immigration Restriction League. Influence lists : Tss,
Date: 1903 , 1905 and undated.
- Lists of organizations favoring an educational test for immigrants : print, Tss, Mss,
- 59th Congress. A bill to amend an act ... 1905.
- (1059). Compositions, 1906. 5 folders
- Bibliographies of publications on immigration : Tss, Ms, 1906 and undated.
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Address of Prescott F. Hall before the Immigration Department of the National Civic Federation in New York, September 24, 1906 : Ts with Ms annotations, 1906.
- Immigration Restriction League. List of contributors and list of past contributors : Tss, 1906.
- National Civic Federation. Papers of the Committee on Basal Statistics : Tss, 1906. With a page of Ts minutes of a meeting of the Committee on Legislation and its Enforcement of the Immigration
- Safford, Moses Victor. Definitions of various terms used in medical certificates : Ts, Ts (carbon), 1906.
- (1060). Compositions, 1907. 9 folders
- Concerning the National Liberal Immigration League, and its objects : Ts, [ca. 1907].
- Immigration Restriction League. Lists of charitable and labor organizations : print, Ms, 1897, 1907 and undated.
- Immigration Restriction League. Payments received by IRL beginning June 1, 1905 End. Mar 31, 1907 : Ms, 1907.
- Reynolds, James Bronson, 1861-1924. Memorandum regarding the treatment of the insane and mentally defective at Ellis Island,
Date: 1906 or 1907.
- Sherwood, Herbert F. Reports to the National Liberal Immigration League : Tss, 1907. With a letter conveying these to Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth) Hall.
- United States. Immigration Commission. Air space for immigrants on shipboard. With other papers on this subject : Tss, [ca. 1907].
- United States. Immigration Commission. Papers concerning Belgian immigrants to South Carolina. Includes correspondence with Ebbie Julian Watson, South Carolina State Commissioner of Commerce, Agriculture and Immigration, 1907.
- United States. Immigration Commission. Report of the subcommittee to which was assigned the territory of Northern Italy,
France, Switzerland, Germany, on the European trip : Ts (carbon) , 2 copies, .
- [United States. Immigration Commission. Report of the subcommittee to which was assigned the territory of Southern Italy,
Austria, Hungary, Greece : Ts (carbon) , ]. Probable identification: the first
page is lost. With a letter to the Commission from Messina signed by Maurice Fishberg and Robert Doremus.
- (1061). Compositions, 1908-1910. 7 folders
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Eugenics and immigration : Ts, [ca. 1908].
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Speech to a conference of charity workers : Ts, undated. [1910?].
- Immigration Restriction League. Submission to the Immigration Commission : Ms and Ts, [ca. 1910].
- Needed immigration legislation : Ts, [ca. 1910]. Mentions Gardner bill.
- U.S. Immigration Service. Annual report for Ellis Island : Ts (carbon), 1910.
- New York (State). State commission in lunacy. Brief left with Judge Taft, Augusta,
Ga : Ts (carbon) two copies, 1909.
- Statistical statement showing certifications of contagious diseases and serious mental
defects....at Ellis Island : Ts (carbon), 1907.
- (1062). Compositions, 1911. 5 folders
- Marburg, Theodore, 1862-1946. Address of Theodore Marburg, Esq. Delivered before the American Society of International Law at Washington, D. C. April 28, 1911 : Ts, 1911.
- Patriotic Order of the Sons of America. Report of Committee on Legislation : Ts, 1911.
- Safford, Moses Victor. Memorandum embodied in a report to the Surgeon-General of the U.S. Public Health and Marine-Hospital Service, June 14, 1911 with reference to his conclusions as to the contagiousness of trachoma
: Ts, 1911.
- Salmon, Thomas W. (Thomas William), 1876-1927. Insanity and the immigration law : Ts (carbon), .
- Statements of Secretary Charles Nagel before the House Committee on Rules, July 10, 1911 : Ts (carbon), 2 copies.
- (1063). Compositions, 1912. 10 folders
- Brown, Goodwin, 1852-1912. Memoranda relative to the further restriction of the admission of the insane to the
United States : Ts, 1912.
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Memorandum in re Senate Bill 3175 : Tss, 1912.
- Immigration Restriction League. Active members December 20 1905 : Ts with Ms annotations, 1905-1912. Annotated: Revised
to March 1, 1912.
- Immigration Restriction League. Publications of the Immigration Restriction League no. 63 : Ts, [1912?].
- New York (State). Board of Alienists. Report for year ending September 30, 1911 : Ts, [ca. 1912]. With statistical tables.
- New York (State). State Commission in Lunacy. Letters to Italian Consulate etc. about aliens to be deported, 1911-12.
- Record of Massachusetts representatives on labor legislation (on measures advocated
by labor) : Ts (carbon), 1912.
- Republican National Committee (U.S.). Press release concerning Taft's attitude to immigration; with a reply [from the IRL?], .
- Ward, Robert DeCourcy, 1867-1931. The crisis in our immigration policy : Ts, [ca. 1912].
- Circular letter against the election of Robert E. Lee to Congress : Ts (carbon), 1912?
- (1064). Compositions, 1913. 9 folders
- American Breeders Association. Immigration Committee of the Eugenics Section. First report : Tss with Ms annotations,
1911. Three copies of the report, with differences. With a notebook containing Ms
minutes by Prescott Hall, 1912-1913.
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. The recent history of immigration and immigration restriction : AMs, 1913. Published in the Journal of Political Economy for October 1913; with letters from the editor, and galley proof of a reader's letter published in the same journal.
- Immigration Restriction League. Digest immigration Feb. 20 1907 - date : Ms, 1913. A chronicle of immigration legislation
and history of the League.
- Immigration Restriction League. Lists of college professors and public officials favoring the reading test for immigrants
: Mss, 1913.
- Immigration Restriction League. M.D.'s on the influence list of the Immigration Restriction League : Tss, 1913. 2
- Lima, Ernest A. de. The history of the immigration bill vetoed by President Cleveland and The history of the immigration bill vetoed by President Taft : Tss, .
- Review of the book Immigration by Henry Pratt Fairchild : Ts, [ca. 1913].
- Safford, Moses Victor. The business side of immigration : Ts (carbon), 1913.
- [United States?]. Bureau of Deportation. Report for year ending September 30, 1912 : Ts (mostly mimeographed), [ca. 1913].
- (1065). Compositions, 1914. 4 folders
- American Genetics Association. Second Report of the Committee on Immigration of the Eugenics Section : Ts (carbon),
- Hall, Prescott F.(Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Lecture notes on immigration : 8 x 5 notecards and 5 x 3 notecards, 1914.
- McKnight, Jno. A. Form letters soliciting members of an organization to write to their congressmen in favor of immigration
restriction : Tss with Ms annotations, 1914.
- Memorandum for the president in favor of the reading test provisions of the Burnett
Immigration Bill (H.R. 6060) : Ts (carbon), 1914.
- (1066). Compositions, 1915-1916. 6 folders
- Jenks, Jeremiah Whipple, 1856-1929. Newspaper editorials : Tss, . With lists of newspapers to which sent and a form
letter to editors.
- Memorandum concerning Massachusetts congressman James A. Gallinan, 1915.
- Paton, Stewart, 1865-1942. Amendments in the immigration bill (H.R. 6060) which relate to exclusion and deportation
of insane and mentally defective immigrants : Ts, 1915.
- Some comments on the speech of Senator Reed, February 4, 1915 : AMs (draft) and Ts, 1915.
- Endorsements of immigration restriction by organizations, a large majority of them
being for a reading test : Tss (3 copies, one marked "Office Copy" with Ms annotations),
Date: 1913-1916. One copy is dated Oct. 1913. The latest annotations are from 1916.
- Sullivan, J.W. Address at meeting to discuss problems in minimum wage legislation
: Ts (carbon), 1915.
- (1067). Compositions, 1917. 3 folders
- Gompers, Samuel, 1850-1924. Statement against relaxation of restriction on Chinese coolie immigration, [ca. 1917].
- Immigration Restriction League. Consolidated membership and influence list, 1914- : Ts with AMs annotations,
Date: 1914-1917. The latest dated annotations are from 1917.
- World Alliance for Promoting International Friendship through the Churches. Minutes of a meeting, with declaration : Tss, 1917.
- (1068). Compositions, 1918. 4 folders
- Immigration Restriction League. A preliminary draft : a bill to regulate immigration, to promote Americanization and
to modify the requirements for the acquisition of citizenship by naturalization :
Ts (carbon), [ca. 1918].
- Immigration Restriction League. Names of committee members and prospective members : Tss and Mss, 1918 and undated.
- United States. Congress. Joint resolution authorizing the admission to the United States of aliens who are
refugees from conditions created by the war, [ca. 1918]. Draft?
- United States. Congress. House. A Bill to regulate the immigration of aliens to the United States : Tss, [ca. 1918].
2 copies. Envelope suggests this is H.R. 11280 (1918).
- (1069). Compositions, 1919. 4 folders
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Immigration. Boston City Club, Mar 10 : AMs, [ca. 1919]. Notes on 3 x 5 cards.
- Immigration Restriction League. Mailing list : Tss with Ms annotations, 1919. Annotated: Revised to Oct. 1, 1919.
- Immigration Restriction League. Membership list : Tss, 1914, 1919. Two Tss dated 1914, one altered in Ms and marked
"Office Copy corrected Jan. 1919."
- Millard, Thomas F. (Thomas Franklin), 1868-. Japan, "race equality," and the League of Nations : Ts (duplicated), 1919. 5 copies.
- (1070). Compositions, 1920-1921. 11 folders
- Foerster, Robert F. (Robert Franz), 1883-1941. Probable growth of the oriental population of continental United States under the
proposed Gulick law : Ts, [ca. 1920].
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Immigration and the World War : Ts, [ca. 1920].
- Hewes, Amy, 1877-. A study of families in three generations by members of the class in statistics of
the department of economics and sociology, Mount Holyoke College : Ts, 1920.
- Immigration Restriction League. Friendly and hostile newspapers : Ts, , with Ms annotations up to 1920.
- Library of Congress. Division of Bibliography. List of references on Japanese in America : Ts (mimeographed), 1920.
- Library of Congress. Division of Bibliography. List of references on Slavs in America : Ts (mimeographed), 1920.
- List of actual publicity received by the Far Eastern Bureau : Ts (mostly carbon),
- National Committee for Constructive Immigration Legislation. Immigration : past and prospective : Ts (carbon), [1919 or 1920]. With charts in Ms
- Resolutions on immigration restriction passed by various societies : printed and Tss,
- New York Times. The unpopular branch (editorial) : Ts (carbon), 1921.
- B. Miscellaneous notes and memoranda, 1894-1921 and undated.
- (1071). Notes and memoranda, 1894-1904. 1 folders
- (1072). Notes and memoranda, 1905-1907. 1 folders
- (1073). Notes and memoranda, 1908-1909. 1 folders
- (1074). Notes and memoranda, 1910-1911. 1 folders
- (1075). Notes and memoranda, 1912-1913. 1 folders
- (1076). Notes and memoranda, 1914-1916. 1 folders
- (1077). Notes and memoranda, 1917-1921. 1 folders
- (1078). Notes and memoranda, undated. 1 folders
- C. Undated compositions.
- (1079). Compositions, A-G, undated 4 folders
- Aldrich, Thomas Baily. Unguarded gates : Ts. A poem, undated.
- Amendments to the Immigration Act of February 20, 1907, recommended by the New York State Board of Alienists : Ts (mimeographed), undated.
- American Federation of Labor. Testimony to Congressional committee, undated.
- Carver, T. N. Composition on immigration restriction : Ts, undated.
- (1080). Compositions, H, undated. 6 folders
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. The ethics of immigration restriction : Tss (2 versions), [190-].
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Memorandum concerning recently proposed methods for the restriction of immigration
: Ms (carbon), undated.
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Notes headed "Attitudes" and "Aphorisms" : AMs (mostly small slips), undated.
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Notes headed "Birthrates" : AMs notes on 5 x 8 cards, undated.
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Notes headed "Eugenics" : AMs notes on 5 x 8 cards, undated.
- Hall, Prescott F. (Prescott Farnsworth), 1868-1921. Rebuttal of arguments against immigration restriction : AMs, undated. The first page
- (1081). Compositions, I-L, undated. 5 folders
- Immigration Restriction League. Printed membership forms, pledge cards, receipts for dues, undated.
- Immigration Restriction League. Submission in favor of immigration restriction : Ts (carbon), undated. The first two
pages are missing.
- Lee, Joseph. Commissioner-General Sargent on immigration misunderstands illiteracy test : Ts , undated. 4 pp.; breaks off before the end.
- Lee, Joseph. Our hyphenated advisors : Ms, undated.
- Lists of names and addresses : Tss, Mss : undated.
- (1082). Compositions, M-Z, undated. 6 folders
- The medical examination of our immigrants : Ts (carbon), undated.
- Names and addresses : index cards, undated.
- National Committee for Constructive Immigration Legislation. Constructive Immigration legislation : Ts, undated.
- Petition to Congress by local labor unions in favor of a reading test for immigrants
: Ts (original and carbon), undated. A list of local union branches.
- Ye immigrant : Ms, undated. A poem; in the hand of Prescott F. Hall.
- Safford, Moses Victor? Report? on placing medical officers abroad to examine immigrants,
- Series: VII. Printed materials by the IRL.
The materials authored by the IRL include the League's constitution, membership forms,
reports, announcements, and published articles. Some materials may be filed under
the author's name in series VI above.
See items (1046-1049), for IRL circular letter forms.
See also HOLLIS database for printed materials located in other Harvard collections.
- A. IRL administrative materials
- (1137). Announcements to members, 1 folders
- (1138). Annual reports, 1 folders
- (1139). Circular letters to members, 1 folders
Date: 1895-1899 and undated.
- (1139a). Committee? minutes on percentage bill discussion, undated. 1 folders
- (1140). List of officers and committee members and "objects of the League", undated. 1 folders
- (1140a). List of previous members of IRL taken from a card catalogue in the PF Hall collection,
Harvard College Library : Ts, 1927. 1 folders
- (1141). Membership application, undated. 1 folders
- (1142). Officer's list for the Immigration League of NY, undated. 1 folders
- (1143). Proposed legislation, various dates. 1 folders
- B. IRL numbered publications
- (1144). No. 5: What of the future? 1 folders
- (1145). No. 6: Who are you?, [1909?] 1 folders
- (1145a). No. 33: Restriction of immigration by Francis A. Walker. 1 folders
- (1146). No. 35: Demand of American labor for restriction of immigration and an illiteracy
test for immigrants. 1 folders
- (1147). No. 48: General immigration statistics, [1907?] 1 folders
- (1148). No. 49: Immigration figures for 1907. 1 folders
- (1149). No. 51: Eugenics, ethics and immigration, by Prescott F. Hall. 1 folders
- (1150). No. 54: Immigration figures for 1909. 1 folders
- (1151). No. 55: Facts concerning the Immigration Restriction League with a list of its officers
and a copy of its constitution. 1 folders
With manuscript annotations.
- (1152). No. 60: Immigration figures for 1912. 1 folders
- (1153). No. 61: The crisis in our immigration policy, 1913. 1 folders
- (1154). No. 62: Immigration figures for 1913. 1 folders
- (1155). No. 63: The reading test. Why it should be adopted, [1914?]. 1 folders
Two copies with manuscript annotations.
- (1156). No. 65: Immigration figures for 1915. 1 folders
- (1157). No. 68: Immigration figures for 1917. 1 folders
- (1158). No. 70: Immigration figures for 1918. 1 folders
- (1159). No. 71: Immigration restriction and world eugenics, by Prescott F. Hall, [1919?].
- C. Far Eastern Bureau Reports.
- (1160). Far Eastern Bureau, New York. Monthly reports : Tss (carbon), clippings, printed pamphlets, 1915 Jan.-June. 5 Volumes 29 x 23 cm.MS
Bureau run by Jeremiah Whipple Jenks (director) and Patrick Gallagher (editor) that sponsored publicity work to change the American newspaper press editor's
attitudes towards the "immigration problem."
Includes letters, reports, clippings, articles, etc... regarding their campaign.
r. f.: XP 9979 (formerly US 10587.29.10).
- Series: Empty folders.
- (1161). Empty folders and envelopes that originally housed these IRL papers. 36 folders
Folders are heavily annotated.