MS Am 2110
Laughlin, James, 1914-1997. James Laughlin compositions sent to Hugh Witemeyer: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2110
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Laughlin, James, 1914-1997.
Title: James Laughlin compositions sent to Hugh Witemeyer,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Poems and other materials sent to Hugh Witemeyer by James Laughlin. Also includes
printed material on James Laughlin.
*2001M-17. Gift of Dr. Hugh Witemeyer, Department of English, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131; received:
2001 Sept. 12.
Processed by: Bonnie B. Salt
Collection is open for research.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check with Houghton
Public Services staff to determine what material is offsite and retrieval policies
James Laughlin Compositions Sent to Hugh Witemeyer (MS Am 2110). Houghton Library,
The Laughlin letters that were originally part of this accession can be found with
other Witemeyer materials in bMS Am 2077.
James Laughlin (1914-1997) was an American publisher, poet and founder of the New
Directions Publishing Corporation.
Includes copies of Laughlin's poems and essays sent (as enclosures in letters) by
James Laughlin to his friend and colleague, Hugh Witemeyer. Also with printed material
about JL and one photograph of JL.
- (2). Laughlin, James, 1914-1997. Poems, A-G : Tss (photocopy), undated. 1 folders
- Advice to Aurelius, dated
Date: 1987 June;
- At Eleusis;
- Bless you, Mr. President;
- A book about nothing;
- Carraig Phadraig;
- Dans les traces d'Ezra Pound, or Monsieur Roquette's pants;
- The deconstructed man;
- Eight glimpses;
- The emigration;
- Encounter at the casino, Aix-les-Bains;
- The girls of Dublin;
- The goddess.
- (3). Laughlin, James, 1914-1997. Poems, H-L : Ts, Tss (photocopy), undated. 1 folders
- Hair, includes Notes to Hair, revised
Date: 1985 ;
- Here I am;
- Homo ludens: a brief history of sport in France;
- The immolation;
- J'ayme donc je suis je souffre mais je vis;
- A lady asks me;
- La Luciole.
- (4). Laughlin, James, 1914-1997. Poems, M-R : Tss (photocopy), undated. 1 folders
- The mathematics
- The mercy in it;
- Mes souffrances;
- My ambition;
- A night at the opera;
- The old man's lament.
- A parenthesis;
- A p(h)un upon Herrick, that he sent Julia's clothes to the cleaners,
includes poem Upon Julia's clothes;
- Please tell me stories;
- The rising mist at Ard Na Sidhe.
- (5). Laughlin, James, 1914-1997. Poems, S : Tss (photocopy), undated. 1 folders
- The secretary;
- The shameful profession;
- Sir Walter Raleigh; a double pentastich from Aubrey's Brief Lives;
- So much depends;
- Some of us come to live;
- The songbird;
- Spring comes again;
- Strange events.
- (6). Laughlin, James, 1914-1997. Poems, T-Z : Tss (photocopy), undated. 1 folders
- Then and now, includes The rain and The poem;
- A translation;
- Transtel Code blue Eyes only;
- La tristesse;
- Trying to please;
- The wood nymph.