MS Port 31
Dimmick, Ralph Edward Ingalls, 1916-, recipient. Letters sent to Ralph Edward Ingalls
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Port 31
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Dimmick, Ralph Edward Ingalls, 1916-, recipient.
Title: Letters sent to Ralph Edward Ingalls Dimmick,
Quantity: 1 collection (1 box (.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in Portuguese.
Abstract: Letters to translator Ralph Edward Ingalls Dimmick from Brazilian authors.
*97M-46. Manuscripts presented by Ralph Edward Ingalls Dimmick; received: 1998 January 21.
Processed by: Jackie Dean.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Letters Sent to Ralph Edward Ingalls Dimmick (MS Port 31). Houghton Library, Harvard
Ralph Edward Ingalls Dimmick earned a Ph D. in Romance Languages and Literature from
Harvard University in 1941. After living in Brazil from 1943 to 1946, Dimmick taught
Portugese and the Brazilian literature at Harvard University. In 1951, Dimmick left
teaching and joined the Organization of American States. He served as contributing
editor to the Library of Congress' Handbook of Latin American studies and translated works Brazilian literature into English including Manual Bandeira's
A brief history of Brazilian literature.
Arranged alphabetically by correspondent.
Letters from Brazilian literary figures, including Manuel Bandeira, Stella Leonardos,
Alceu Amoroso Lima, Jorge de Lima, Osman Lins, Cecília Meireles, Galo Plaza Lasso,
Marques Rebelo, and Erico Veríssimo. Additionally, there are poems by Bandeira and
Leonardos, a transcript of a radio interview with de Lima, and a drawing by Veríssimo.
- (1). Bandeira, Manuel, 1886-1968. Letters, postcards, 1944-1966. 2 folders
Compositions moved to (2).
- (2). Bandeira, Manuel, 1886-1968. Poems : various formats, undated. 1 folders
- "Brigadeiro praticante ": Ts with AMs revisions;
- "Embolada do brigadeiro ": Ts (carbon) with AMs revisions;
- "O brigadeiro ": Ts;
- "Sextilhas româticas ": Ts with AMs revisions;
- "Soneto no. 14 de Elizabeth Barret Browning ": Ts.
Removed from (1).
- (4). Leonardos, Stella. Poems : various formats, various dates. 1 folders
- "Êste Natal, uma rosa ": AMsS,
- "Rancho da Mulinha ": TsS,
Removed from (3).
- (5). Lima, Alceu Amoroso, 1893-. Letters, postcards, 1965-1987 and undated. 1 folders
- (6). Lima, Jorge de, 1893-1953. Letters, 1950-1953. 1 folders
Composition moved to Item (7).
- (7). Lima, Jorge de, 1893-1953. [Radio interview] : Ts (carbon), 1950. 1 folders
With annotation in an unidentified hand "Para a hora 'Tornands chimarrãs' Radio- Ministerio
da Educáçaó. Foi irradiads: 19-3-50."
Removed from (6).
- (8). Lins, Osman, 1924-. Letter, 1968. 1 folders
- (9). Meireles, Cecília, 1901-1964. Letters, 1950-1951. 1 folders
- (10). Plaza Lasso, Galo, 1906-. Letters, 1978-1986 and undated. 1 folders
- (11). Rebelo, Marques, 1907-1973. Letters, 1944-1951 and undated. 1 folders
- (12). Veríssimo, Erico, 1905-1975. Correspondence, 1950-1975 and undated. 4 folders
Includes typescript copies of letters from Pablo Neruda to Verissimo and a letter to Ralph Edward Ingalls Dimmick from David Jaffe. Also includes a colored pencil drawing titled "Esta mamata vai se acabar!" depicting
a man standing on a beach in a swimsuit.