MS Am 2104
Carter family. Carter and White family papers: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2104
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Title: Carter and White family papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Correspondence and photographs of the Carter and White families of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
*89M-55. Manuscripts presented by George N. White, Jr.; received: 1990 February 1.
Processed by: Jackie Dean
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Carter and White Family Papers (MS Am 2104). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
The Carter and White families of Cambridge, Massachusetts, are related by marriage.
In 1864, Robert Carter (1819-1879), author and editor, married his second wife Susan
Nichols. Susan Nichols' sister, Lucy Nichols, married John Eaton White, a captain
in the 99th New York Infantry. Charles Morland Carter is the son of Robert Carter
and his first wife, Ann Augusta Gray.
Organized into three series:
- I. Correspondence
- II. Visual materials
- III. Other papers
These family papers contain correspondence of Carter and White family members, including
letters from John Eaton White to his fiancee, Lucy Nichols, written while he was serving
in the Civil War, as well as letters from Charles Morland Carter to the ornithologist,
Ruthven Deane, describing a hunting trip in Nebraska. There is a sketch and photograph
of John Eaton White, a tintype depicting William Brewster, Charles Morland Carter,
and Daniel Chester French, and a pencil sketch of Charles Morland Carter done by Daniel
Chester French. Finally, there are writings about the Nichols' family genealogy, among
- Series: I. Correspondence.
- (1). Brewster, William, 1851-1919. Letter to George [N. White?], 1914. 1 folders
- (2). Carter, Charles Morland. Letters to Ruthven Deane, 1876. 1 folders
- (3). Carter, Jas. L. Letter to Ruthven Deane, 1876. 1 folders
- (4). Howells, William Dean, 1837-1920. Letter to Robert Carter, 1872. 1 folders
- (5). Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882. Letter to Robert Carter, 1871. 1 folders
- Series: II. Visual materials.
- (7). Captain Jack White as officer of the day. Camp Grebel, Va., June, 1862 : drawing (pen and ink) S, 1862. 1 folders
Drawing is of John Eaton White and signed "S.R.R. Oct."
- (7a). Carter, Charles Morland. [Birds] : drawings, undated. 1 folders
Includes pencil drawing of an eagle's head as well as a pencil and watercolor drawing
of a small bird on a branch. Drawings were found in Carter's Shooting in the early days received with the collection.
- (8). French, Daniel Chester, 1850-1931. Portrait of CMC as seen at Mardevis, Rye Beach : drawing (pencil), 1872. 1 folders
Portrait is of Charles Morland Carter.
- (9). [John Eaton White]. Photograph, undated. 1 folders
- (10). [William Brewster, Charles Morland Carter, and Daniel Chester French holding hunting rifles] : tintype, 1872. 1 folders
The setting is Rye Beach according to a note received with the collection
- (11). Warren. [Benjamin Pierce] : carte-de-visite, undated. 1 folders
With note on the bottom: "Professor Benjamin Pierce. Born Apl 4 1809, died Oct. 6
- Series: III. Other papers.
- (12). Nichols, Benjamin W. Benjamin W. Nichols, of Boston, re Ichabod Nichols and family : Ts (carbon), undated. 1 folders
Includes letter from W. T. Nichols to George Nichols.
- (13). Nichols, George, 1809-1882. Copy of notes made by George Nichols, late of Cambridge, Mass.: our Peirce genealogy
: Ts (carbon), undated. 1 folders
- (14). Palmer, Mary Towle, b. 1846? The story of the bee : photocopy of the published book, 1924. 2 folders
With inscription (photocopy) by Anna White Sherman.