MS Fr 411
Lamartine, Alphonse de, 1790-1869. Aphonse de Lamartine papers, 1713-1890: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Fr 411
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Lamartine, Alphonse de, 1790-1869.
Title: Alphonse de Lamartine papers,
Quantity: 0.5 linear feet (1 boxes)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in French.
Abstract: Letters from the French poet and statesman Alphonse de Lamartine to his executor,
and other related papers.
89M-40. Purchased with funds from the Amy Lowell fund from Thierry Bodin, bookseller; received:
1989 August 13.
Processed by: Jackie Dean.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Alphonse de Lamartine Papers, 1713-1890 (MS Fr 411). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
Alphonse de Lamartine (1790-1869) was born in Mâcon, France into the aristocracy.
His father was imprisoned during the French Revolution but escaped the guillotine.
After briefly serving in the military, Lamartine joined the diplomatic corps as secretary
to the French embassy at Naples. His first collection of poetry, Méditations poétiques, was published in 1820, establishing him as one of the key figures in the Romantic
movement in French literature. Lamartine entered politics and was elected to the National
Assembly in 1848 only to be thrown out when the Bourgeoisie discovered he was acting
as a spokesman for the working class. After leaving politics, Lamartine published
several poetry collections and historical works. He died in Paris.
Arranged into two series:
- I. Correspondence
- A. Letters from Alphonse de Lamartine
- B. Other letters
- II. Other papers
Letters of Lamartine to his executor, Èdouard Dubois, and to other correspondents
as well as some financial records of Lamartine including an account book. There are
engravings by Tony Johannot and other engravers which may have been created to illustrate
Lamartine's books, among other items.
- Series: I. Correspondence.
- A. Letters from Alphonse de Lamartine.
- (1). Letters to Èdouard Dubois, 1839-1869. 4 folders
- (2). Letters to various correspondents, various dates. 1 folders
Includes letters to:
- Edmée Burguerie,
- Michel Caplain,
- Monsieur Clement,
- Monsieur Deleuxe,
- Le directeur de La revue des deux mondes,
- Charles Nadir Delapard de [Gauteur?],
- [Millier, Macle?],
- (3). Letters to unidentified correspondents, 1843-1866 and undated. 2 folders
- B. Other letters.
- (4). [Ferrar, W.?,], avocat. Letter to Alphonse de Lamartine, 1850. 1 folders
- (5). Letter addressed to "Ma bien chére fille," unsigned, undated. 1 folders
- (6). Mormand, Felix. Letter to le directeur du Courrier du Bas-Rhin, 1858. 1 folders
- Series: II. Other papers.
- (7). Account book, 1829. 1 folders
Belonging to Lamartine.
- (8). Conseils rites par M. de Lamartine à M. Dubois comme exécuteur testamentaire, undated. 1 folders
List of credits and debits.
- (9). Contract between Lamartine and M. de Fabrias regarding the administration of land in Anatolia, undated. 1 folders
- (10). Corps legislatif. Certificate awarding Lamartine four hundred thousand francs, 1867. 1 folders
- (12). Engravings, undated. 1 folders
Received with note "vignettes destineés à illustre les [ ] de A. de Lamartine."
- E. Aubert, Ramla.
- [ ] Colm, Jocelyn.
- [Tony?] Gouttiére, Le premier regret.
- Tony Johannot, L'ange.
- Tony Johannot, Le crucifix.
- [Alexandre?] Lacour, Jocelyn.
- [Augustin Francois?] Lemaitre, Le St. Sépulcre.
- [Scho?], Le mont Thabor.
- [Franz Adam?] Schroeder, Tadmor.
- [Franz Adam?] Schroeder, Cathédrale de Rheims.
- [Louis Désiré?] Thiénon, Les révolutions.
- (13). Overture d'un emprunt littéraire par M. De Lamartine : printed flyer, undated. 1 folders
- (14). [Press card for Centenaire de Lamartine séance littérarie ], 1890. 1 folders
Belonging to M. Chincholle.