MS Am 2102
Sissman, L.E., 1928-1976. L. E. Sissman additional papers: Guide. Houghton Library, Harvard College Library
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138
© 2001 The President and Fellows of Harvard College
Last update on 2009 January 28
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, Harvard University
Location: Harvard Depository
Note: This collection is shelved offsite at the
Harvard Depository. See access restrictions below for additional information.
Call No.: MS Am 2102
Title: L. E. Sissman additional papers,
Quantity: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Compositions by American
author, L.E. Sissman along with correspondence.
Processed by: Jackie Dean.
*91M-61. Gift of Anne (Bierman)
Sissman; received: 1992 June 29.
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
This collection is not housed at the Houghton Library but is shelved offsite
at the Harvard Depository. Retrieval requires advance notice. Readers should check
Houghton Public Services staff members to determine what material is offsite and retrieval
policies and times.
L. E. Sissman Additional Papers (MS Am 2102). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
L. E. Sissman (1928-1976) graduated from Harvard College in 1949 as Class
Poet. He settled outside of Boston and worked as an advertising copywriter. From 1964
his poetry and prose was published in the New Yorker and Atlantic
monthly. His books include the poetry collections Dying: an introduction (1967) and Hello darkness: the collected poems of L. E. Sissman, published posthumously in 1978. His Atlantic monthly columns were collected in
Innocent bystander: scenes from the '70s (1975). Sissman died of Hodgkin's
Organized into four series:
- I. Correspondence
- A. Letters from L. E. Sissman
- B. Letters to L. E. Sissman and Anne (Bierman) Sissman
- II. Compositions
- A. Poems
- B. Book Reviews
- C. "Innocent bystander" columns
- D. Other compositions
- III. Compositions by others
- IV. Other papers
These additional papers contain
correspondence of L. E. Sissman including letters from Atlantic monthly and the New Yorker as well as letters received by his wife after his death. The bulk of
this collection is typescripts and proofs of Sissman's poems and book reviews published
in the New Yorker and of his Atlantic monthly column, The
innocent bystander. There are compositions by others, including a typescript of John
Updike's forward to Sissman's Innocent bystander: scenes from the '70s, among
- I. Correspondence.
- A. Letters from L. E.
- (1) Sissman,
L. E., 1928-1976. Letters, various dates. 1
Includes letters to:
- James Dickey, 1967.
- Howard Moss, 1969.
- Edward A. Muir, 1967-1971. (Photocopies).
- [Barbara Sissman?], 1946.
- (2) Sissman, L. E., 1928-1976. Letters to Edward James Sissman and Marie (Anderson) Sissman [his parents], 1947-1965. 2 folders.
- B. Letters to L. E. and Anne (Bierman) Sissman.
- (5) Vanguard Press, Inc. Letters, 1975-1985. 1 folder.
- (6) Letters from various correspondents, various dates. 3 folders.
Includes letters from:
- Jonathan Bishop, 1975.
- Emily Davenport, 1976.
- William Davenport, 1975-1976.
Includes letter to Davenport from Edward A. Muir, 1975.
- William Guthrie, 1976.
- Albert W. Haley, Jr., 1976.
- John F. Mangrum, 1969.
- Julian McMahon, 1969.
- James Ingram Merrill, 1969.
- Dianne Muller, 1975.
- National Book Critics Circle. 1975.
- Newsweek, 1974.
- Stuart Newton, 1975. Composition
removed to item (32).
- Peter Ninn, 1976.
- Charles Saxon, 1975. (2 letters).
- Tom Sexton, undated. Composition
by Beverly A. Walters removed to item (34 ).
- Marie (Anderson) Sissman, 1968.
- John Updike, 1971-1976. Composition removed to item (33).
- Edward S. Van Winkle, 1976.
- The Writer, Inc., 1975.
- James R. Wilson, 1971. Composition removed to item (35).
- (7) Letters of condolences, 1976-1978. 2 folders.
Includes letters from Peter Davison, William
Davenport, Richard Merkin, Edward A.
Muir, John Updike, and Barry Spacks,
- Series: II. Compositions.
- Series: III. Compositions by others.
- (31) Davenport, William W. (William Wyatt). Response after accepting the "Friends of L.E. Sissman" award : Ts (photocopy), 1977. 1 folder.
- (32) Newton, Stuart. The 20th armored: a recurrent dream in the "formalist" traditions, or for "instrumental"
purpose? : Ts (photocopy), 1975. 1 folder.
- (32a) Pinck, Dan C. My years with Harold Ross : Ts with Ms annotations and revisions in an
unidentified hand (photocopy), undated. 1 folder.
- (33) Updike, John. Introduction [to Innocent bystander: the scene from the 70's] : Ts with AMs
annotations and revisons, 1971. 1
- (34) Walters, Beverly A. Sissman and the pursuit of honor : Ts (photocopy), 1972. 1 folder.
- IV. Other papers.
- (37) Miscellany, various dates. 1 folder.
- Certificate from the Tenth Annual American Television and Radio Commercials
- Memorandum from unidentified company, 1962.
- Ms notes in an unidentified hand.