MS Am 2098
Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894. Oliver Wendell Holmes contracts with Ticknor and
Fields, 1858-1900: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Am 2098
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894.
Title: Oliver Wendell Holmes contracts with Ticknor and Fields,
Date(s): 1858-1900, (bulk) 1859-1871.
Quantity: 1 collection (.5 linear feet (1 box)
Language of materials: Collection materials are in English.
Abstract: Book contracts between the American humorist and poet Oliver Wendell Holmes and Ticknor
and Fields, Boston, Massachusetts.
91M-39. Manuscripts transferred from Harvard Law School Library; received: 1992 January 1.
Processed by: Jackie Dean
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Oliver Wendell Holmes Contracts with Ticknor and Fields, 1858-1900 (MS Am 2098). Houghton
Library, Harvard University.
Oliver Wendell Holmes was an American humorist and poet who also served as Dean of
Harvard Medical School.
The collection includes book contracts between Holmes and the Boston publishing house
Ticknor and Fields, copyright certificates for two of Holmes' books, and a letter
to Holmes' son, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. from Houghton, Mifflin and Company (successor
firm to Ticknor and Fields).
- (1). Ticknor and Fields. Contracts with Oliver Wendell Holmes, various dates. 2 folders
- The autocrat of the breakfast-table.
- Currents and counter currents in medical science. With other addresses and essays.
- Elsie Venner; a romance of destiny.
- The guardian angel.
- Mechanism in thought and morals; an address delivered before the Phi Beta Kappa Society
of Harvard University, June 20, 1870. With notes and afterthoughts, by Oliver Wendell
Date: 1870-1871. (2 contracts with James R. Osgood and Company).
Date: 1867. (3 contracts).
- The professor at the breakfast table.
- Songs in many keys.
- Soundings from the Atlantic.
- (2). Copyright certificates, 1858-1859. 1 folders
From the District of Massachusetts for Oliver Wendell Holmes' The autocrat of the breakfast-table and The professor at the breakfast-table; with the story of Iris.
- (3). Houghton, Mifflin and Company. Letter to Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. 1900. 1 folders