Smith, Eli, 1801-1857. Eli Smith papers, 1819-1869: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: ABC 60
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Smith, Eli, 1801-1857.
Title: Eli Smith papers,
Quantity: 1 collection (3.5 linear feet (3 cartons)
Abstract: Eli Smith was a missionary in the Middle East and translator of the Bible into Arabic,
1826-1857. The papers include missionary and family correspondence and scholarly papers
chiefly on philology and geography.
Manuscripts deposited by the United Church Board for World Ministries; received ca. 1949.
Processed by: J. F. Coakley
There are no restrictions on physical access to this material.
Eli Smith Papers, 1819-1869 (ABC 60). Houghton Library, Harvard University.
There is another collection of papers of Eli Smith in Yale Divinity School Library.
The Arabic papers from this collection, chiefly letters to Eli Smith, have been segregated
and have the call number ABC 50. (These have not yet been catalogued.)
Eli Smith (1801-1857) was a missionary of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, stationed in the Middle East, briefly in Malta (1826) and then, until his early death,
in Beirut. He also traveled in Greece (1829), Armenia and Persia (1830-1831), and
Palestine (1838 and 1852). He is remembered as a translator of the Bible into Arabic.
Smith was married three times, to Sarah Lanman Huntington (1833-1836), Maria Ward Chapin (1841-1842), and Hetty Simpkins Butler (1846- ).
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Letters to Eli Smith
- II. Letters from Eli Smith
- III. Other letters
- IV. Compositions by Eli Smith
- V. Biographical material
- VI. Other papers
The papers span the whole of Smith's career 1826-1857 and include a few items before
that. His correspondence was chiefly but not exclusively with missionary colleagues
and with his family. There are also papers of his first wife Sarah L. Smith, of his widow Hetty Smith (down to 1869), and a few items from his children including Charles L. Smith. Eli Smith's own letters are mostly copies made in a copying press, the bulk of them
from the years 1835-1839.
- 1835 Apr. 29;
- 1837 Feb. 23, Mar 24
- 1833 Dec. 2, 9;
- 1834 Jan. 4, Feb. 4, June 24, Sept. 27, Nov. 10;
- 1835 Feb. 17, June 20, 23, Aug. 28, Dec. 1, 2;
- 1836 Apr. 27;
- 1837 Jan. 19, 25, Mar. 10, May 13, Aug. 5, Sept. 6;
- 1838 Jan. 14, 31, Feb. 3, 16, Mar. 1, 10, 28, Aug. 9, 17, Oct. 27, Nov. 1;
- 1839 Jan 7, 11, May 27, Oct. 1;
- 1842 Jan 6, 7; 1843 Jan. 6, Feb. 6, 27, Aug. 3;
- 1844 Dec. 11;
- 1848 Feb. 29;
- 1849 Feb. 15, Mar 29, June 15;
- 1851 June 16, 17;
- 1852 Aug. 2;
- 1853 Aug. 3, Dec. 26; 1854 June 12, Oct. 7;
- 1854 June 12;
- 1855 Oct. 19;
- 1856 Mar. 13.
Badger, George Percy
- 1834 Feb. 8, Feb. 24;
- 1837 Jan. 25, May 24;
- 1838 Feb. 3
Beebee, Samuel J.
Bingham, John C.
- 1836 Apr. 26;
- 1848 Oct. 26
- 1836 Jan. 18;
- 1837 May 15;
- 1838 Dec. 9;
- 1839 Apr. 19
- 1835 Sept. 8;
- 1848 Oct. 26
Calhoun, Simeon H.
- 1838 Oct. 16;
- 1842 Dec. 31;
- 1843 Jan. 19
- 1835 May 27, Dec. 1;
- 1836 Jan. 17
Daggett, Hinman & Co.
De Forest, Catherine
De Forest, Henry A.
- 1842 May 30;
- 1851 Oct. 18
Dwight, H. G. O. (Harrison Gray Otis)
- 1837 Mar. 31, May 13, June 2, July 19, Aug. 11, Oct. 13;
- 1838 Jan. 15;
- 1847 June 30
Farren, J. W.
- 1834 May 9;
- 1837 May 5, 24
Field, David D. (David Dudley)
- 1838 Dec. 17;
- 1839 Mar. 30
- 1843 Jan. 19;
- 1849 July 12;
- 1850 Mar. 18
- 1829 Apr. 15;
- 1836 Jan. 13, Apr. 27;
- 1837 Mar. 22, May 13, July 21, 28, Dec. 28;
- 1838 Nov. 23
- 1836 Dec. 16;
- 1837 Jan. 17, June 21, 22, July 9, 19, Aug. 1, Sept. 2, Nov. 3, Nov. 27, Dec. 16;
- 1838 Jan. 24, Feb. 3, Apr. 25, Oct. 17;
- 1839 Jan. 9, Apr. 1, 12, June 6, 19
Hallock, William A. (William Allen)
- 1837 Oct. 16;
- 1840 Apr. 17;
- 1842 Dec. 31;
- 1849 Feb. 3
Hays, C. D.
- 1837 Nov. 4;
- 1838 Feb. 28
- 1836 July 23;
- 1837 Jan. 17, June 21, July 9, 19, Aug. 1, Sept. 2, Nov. 3, 27, Dec. 16;
- 1838 Dec. 10;
- 1839 Jan. 9, 12, June 8, Dec. 31;
- 1840 July 11
Hemley, J. K.
- 1827 Aug. 21;
- 1831 Aug. 1;
- 1834 July 1;
- 1835 Mar. 15, June 19, July 1, Aug. 6, Nov. 26;
- 1836 Jan. 1, Apr. 29;
- 1837 Feb. 7;
- 1838 Jan 1., Aug. 9;
- 1856 Feb. 13
Hoadly, Eli Smith
- 1837 July 13;
- 1838 Apr. 8
Hoadly, L. Ives
- 1837 Jan 21, Mar. 31, May 15, Sept. 25;
- 1838 Jan. 2, Mar. 11, 25, July 13, Oct. 27;
- 1839 Jan. 14
Homes, Henry A.
- 1837 Jan. 18, May 11, June 7, Dec. 13;
- 1838 Aug. 4, Oct. 13, Nov. 23;
- 1839 Jan. 5, Feb. 26, June 10
Hooker, E. W.
- 1835 Jan. 14;
- 1837 Feb. 6, May 23, Sept. 23, 24, Oct 10;
- 1838 June 10, Nov. 4
Hough, Lent Serajah
Hooker, M. L.
- 1835 Jan. 15;
- 1837 Feb. 6, Sept. 13
Huntington, E. B.
- 1837 Mar. 30, Sept. 9;
- 1838 July 12
(The identification is not certain for all these letters.)
- I. Letters to Eli Smith
- (4). Other correspondents (A). Letters, 1826-1856. 1 folders
Date: 1826-1856. Other correspondents (A). Letters, 1826-1856
The correspondents are: Gorham D. Abbott, Alexander Abgarius, George E. Adams, Mrs. Adams, J. F. Agnew, Edward Aiken, W. Owen Allen, L. H. Angin, Antonius Ameuny, Andover Theological Seminary, William J. Armstrong, Jacob Assaad, A. (Adolf) Asher, Edward E. Atwater, Charles Atwood, Joseph Ayer.
- (8). Benton, William A. Letters, 1852, 1855, and undated. 1 folders
Date: 1852, 1855, and undated. Benton, William A. Letters, 1852, 1855, and undated
- (12). Other correspondents (B). Letters, 1826-1856. 1 folders
Date: 1826-1856. Other correspondents (B). Letters, 1826-1856
The correspondents are: W. S. Balch, Benjamin Barker, Elias R. Beadle, A. M. Beebee, Nathan Benjamin, Joseph Bennett, Hiram Bingham, A. P. Bird, Rahil Bustani, Butrus Bustani, James Black, George W. Blagdon, R. W. Brant, Dr. Bourne, P. Brenner, John Clark Brigham, O. Bronson, C. Brown, R. Grant Borwn, J. P. Brown, R. G. Bryan, R. F. Buer, A. C. Bull.
- (16). Other correspondents (C). Letters, 1823- 1855. 1 folders
Date: 1823- 1855. Other correspondents (C). Letters, 1823- 1855
The correspondents are: Charles J. Calvert, M. Campbell, Sarah Cheney, A. M. Child, Mark Churchill, D. Coates, T. W. Coit, F. Collins, R. L. Cook, George Cowles, Marion D. Crane, Henry Crawford, E. Critien, Calvin and Betsey Crompton, D. Crosby and D. Greene, E. H. Cumpston.
- (20). Other correspondents (D). Letters, 1831-1855. 1 folders
Date: 1831-1855. Other correspondents (D). Letters, 1831-1855
The correspondents are: Daggett, Hinman and Co., A. G. Dalessio, James B. Davis, N. Davis, Franz Delitzsch, Deutsche Morgenländische Gesellschaft, Chester Dewey, Joel L. Dickinson, Auguste Dittrich, Edward M. Dodd, Asa Dodge, J. Duchêne, Lucius C. Duncan, A. Dwight.
- (22). Other correspondents (E). Letters, 1836-1853. 1 folders
Date: 1836-1853. Other correspondents (E). Letters, 1836-1853
The correspondents are: Abdullah Eliyahu, C. Eddy, B. B. (Bela Bates) Edwards, Justin Edwards, C. A. Ely, U. Ernst.
- (27). Other correspondents (F). Letters, 1826-1853. 1 folders
Date: 1826-1853. Other correspondents (F). Letters, 1826-1853
The correspondents are: Falkner and Co., Phoebe Farrer, J. W. Farren, W. E. Fercken, David D. (David Dudley) Field, Stephen J. Field, H. W. Fiske, Daniel Fitz, John C. Floyd, Gustav Flügel, Charles M. Fowler, J. A. Frazier.
- (31). Other correspondents (G). Letters, 1839-1856. 1 folders
Date: 1839-1856. Other correspondents (G). Letters, 1839-1856
The correspondents are: John Gadsby, C. A. Gager, Elihu Galley, William C. Gilman, F. Goldschmidt, James Graham, Charles Graul, David Greene, William Whitewell Greenough, W. Gridley.
- (41). Huntingdon family. Letters, 1840-1856. 1 folders
Date: 1840-1856. Huntingdon family. Letters, 1840-1856
The correspondents are Jabez Huntington, Jedidiah Huntington, E. B. Huntington.
- (43). Other correspondents (H). Letters, 1827-1856. 1 folders
Date: 1827-1856. Other correspondents (H). Letters, 1827-1856
The correspondents are: J. Hadad, W. Hallaway, William A. (William Allen) Hallock, Luther Halsey, E. C. Hamilton, William Hartley, Henri Byron Haskell, George E. Head, F. A. Hildner, Henry Hill, Milan H. Hitchcock, L. Smith Hobart, A. J. Hopkins, E. Hopkins, Charles Hosmer, Fisher Howe, C. F. Howell, R. Hubbard, Walter Hubbell.
- (48). Other correspondents (I J K). Letters, 1826-1855. 1 folders
Date: 1826-1855. Other correspondents (I J K). Letters, 1826-1855
The correspondents are: Robert Harry Inglis, Joseph Wentworth Ingraham, Albert Augustus Isaacs, Charles Jackson, Richard Jackson, Assad Jacob [As'ad Ya'qub Khayyat (see also item (46)], Dwight P. Janes, William Jenks, Isaac Jennings, Henry A. Johnson, B. R. Jones, Henry Jones, William Jones, Charles Colcock Jones, William Jones, Nathaniel Abbot Keyes, William Kruse.
- (53). Other correspondents (L). Letters, 1830-1855. 1 folders
Date: 1830-1855. Other correspondents (L). Letters, 1830-1855
The correspondents are: Daniel Ladd, D. T. Lanman, Joseph Lanman, Anna Louise Lanman, P. Lanman, G. Lansing, John Lee, Henry D. Leeves, John N. (John Nevin) Lewis, Sarah Lewis, J. Locker, Dr. Loewe, David Nevins Lord, Eleazar Lord, Samuel Lyde, William Francis Lynch.
- (55). Other correspondents (M). Letters, 1826-1855. 1 folders
Date: 1826-1855. Other correspondents (M). Letters, 1826-1855
The correspondents are: R. Maclagen, John Maclean, Erastus Maltby,Dwight Whitney Marsh, George Perkins Marsh, C. J. Martin, T. R. Marvin, James Mathelm, John McDowell, J. W. McGregor, Eliza McNeill, A. Merwin, N. Moore, W. D. Moore, A. D. Moordemann, T. Müller.
- (61). Other correspondents (N O P). Letters, 1823-1856. 1 folders
Date: 1823-1856. Other correspondents (N O P). Letters, 1823-1856
The correspondents are: James W. Neal, New York Corporation, Harvey Newcomb, Baptist Wriothesley Noel, George B. Nutting, D. W. Offley, Henry O'Reilly, Edward A. Park, Ned A. Packard, Josiah Peabody, P. Perit, I. F. Pettiborn, N. P. Petrocochino, H. Philip, D. Plerides, Eugène Poujade, Samuel Irenaeus Prime, Lord Prudhoe.
- (66). Other correspondents (R). Letters, 1826-1855. 1 folders
Date: 1826-1855. Other correspondents (R). Letters, 1826-1855
The correspondents are: T. M. Ramsey, Reboul, Charles Rhind, Samuel Hopkins Riddel, Chester Newell Righter, John J. Robertson, Hugh Rose, James Rose, J. Rowlands.
- (79). Other correspondents (S). Letters, 1830-1854. 1 folders
Date: 1830-1854. Other correspondents (S). Letters, 1830-1854
The correspondents are: E. Schermerhorn, Bernhard Schmidt, Elizabeth Sheffield, Charles S. Sherman, L. H. (Lydia Howard) Sigourney, Benjamin Silliman, J. H. Skinner, Azariah Smith, J. Eardley Smith, Smith & Meyner, Samuel Snow, G. M. Sörensent, R. S. Spillman, S. M. Stebbins, William F. Steiger, Griffin Stith, Charles Stoddard, Moses Stuart, Ch. Stussi, Joseph Symm.
- (85). Other correspondents (T). Letters, 1834-1857. 1 folders
Date: 1834-1857. Other correspondents (T). Letters, 1834-1857
The correspondents are: Nami Tabet, A. Tait, J. Tappan, A. C. (Augustus Charles) Thompson, J. B. Thompson, E. W. Thompson, Alexander Tod, Robert Tod, Ira Tracy, S. B. (Selah Burr) Treat, Elizabeth Trimmer, Mary Trimmer, W. Trimmer, Robert Trotter.
- (90). White, Henry. Letters, 1831-1856. 1 folders
Date: 1831-1856. White, Henry. Letters, 1831-1856
Secretary of the Yale College class of 1821. Some of the letters are printed circulars.
- (92). Whitney, Samuel. Letters, 1823-1845. 1 folders
Date: 1823-1845. Whitney, Samuel. Letters, 1823-1845
Also includes letters from his children Maria K. Whitney, Henry Martyn Whitney, Emily E. Whitney.
- (93). Wildenbruch, Ludwig von, 1803-1874. Letters, 1833-1853 and undated. 1 folders
Date: 1833-1853 and undated. Wildenbruch, L. Letters, 1833-1853 and undated
Letters from Anton Albert Heinrich Ludwig (or Louis) von Wildenbruch, Prussian consul
in Beirut, 1843-1848. Also includes letters from Ernestine Wildenbruch.
- (101). Other correspondents (V W Y Z). Letters, 1823-1856. 1 folders
Date: 1823-1856. Other correspondents (V W Y Z). Letters, 1823-1856
The correspondents are: William Fowler Vaill, C. W. M. Van de Velde, George Wallach,Charles Walley, Wamick Pasha, F. de W. (Ferdinand de Wilton) Ward, John Washington, Mary Watson, Henry Wheatland, Placentia V. Whidden, Frederick Whittlesey, J. S. Williams, Mary I. Williams, T. W. Williams, J. Wilson, John Wilson, Samuel S. Wilson, W. Winthrop, George W. Wood, Henry Wood, Sir Richard Wood, Albert G. Zabriskii, F. Zaremba.
- II. Letters from Eli Smith
- (103). Letters to Hetty Smith, 1849-1856. 1 folders
Most of the letters are undated. Also includes one letter to his daughter Sarah Smith.
- (104). Letters written from Constantinople to fellow missionaries, 1836. 1 folders
Sewn into two booklets, one labeled "Notes of discussions held at Constantinople."
The addressees include Daniel Temple, John B. Adger, Homan Hallock, Story Hebard, William M. Thompson.
- (105). Letters to various correspondents, 1826-1856. 18 folders
The letters are arranged chronologically. For an index to the personal names of recipients
see the end of this finding aid.
- III. Other letters
- (106). Huntington, Sarah L. Letters to Sarah Lanman Smith, 1814-1826. 1 folders
Sarah L.Huntington was Sarah Lanman Smith's stepmother.
- (107). Smith, Hetty. Letters to Sarah Butler, 1852-1853. 1 folders
Also includes one letter to "My Dear Mother".
- (108). Smith, Hetty. Letters to other correspondents, [not before 1857]. 1 folders
One letter is to Moses Chapin; the others are not identified.
- (109). Smith, Hetty, recipient. Letters from various correspondents, 1829-1868. 7 folders
Arranged alphabetically by correspondent. Unidentified correspondents are at the end.
The correspondents are: Rufus Anderson, William A. Benton, Loanza G. Benton, S. G. Bird, Eliza Black, Abby M. Bliss, Isabella H. P. Bliss, John Clark Brigham, Daniel Butler, Eliza Butler, John S. Butler, Sarah Butler, Emily P. Calhoun, Simeon H. Calhoun, Moses Chapin, Marion D. Crane, Henry A. De Forest, Edward M. Dodd, Lydia H. Dodd, H. G. O. (Harrison Gray Otis) Dwight, Mary L. Dwight, Hannah Maria Eddy, Roxana W. Foote, Joshua Edwards Ford, Mary P. Ford, J. A. Frazier, Maria Gobat, Abigail P. Goodell, William Goodell, Lucy G. Hall, H. W. Halsted, Mary Hibben, Henry Hill, Faith H. Hooker, Mary L. Hooker, Esther Humiston, Khazand, H. N. Kirk, Maria Kruse, E. Lowndes, C. N. Lyons, John Maltby, Dwight Whitney Marsh, Julia W. Marsh, Homer B. Morgan, Catherine S. Mussey, John Nicolayson, M. E. Nicolayson, George B. Nutting, Mary L. Peabody, J. C. Portilis, Eliza C. Powers, Martha J. Riggs, Mary R. Schauffler, William G. (William Gottlieb) Schauffler, Eliza C. A. Schneider, Isabella Scott, C. Sergeant, Martha L. Sheldon, Benyamin Smith, E. H. Smith, P. Smith, Sarah A. Smith, Billy Sparrow, David Tappan Stoddard, Charles O. Thompson, Chloe Thompson, William Thompson, Joseph Tracy, Tillman C. Trowbridge, S. E. Waldo, Langdon S. Ward, Sarah Wells, Matilda S. Whiting, W. G. Williams, David M. Wilson, Emeline T. Wilson, Henry Woods, Gregory Wortabet, John Wortabet.
- (110). Smith, Sarah L. Letters to various correspondents, 1834-1836. 1 folders
The recipients are Mrs. Hallock, Mrs. George B. Whiting, Daniel Temple, Mrs. Temple, Matilda S. Whiting, Rebecca W. Williams.
- (111). Children of Eli Smith. Correspondence, 1845-1868 and undated. 1 folders
Includes letters to and from Charles Henry Smith, Mary Smith, Ned Smith. Most are from them to Eli or Hetty Smith.
- (112). Other letters, 1829-1842. 1 folders
The letters are to various recipients, from Jonas King, J. Cartright, R. Walworth, Daniel Webster.
- IV. Compositions by Eli Smith
- (113). Notes from college courses, 1819and undated. 1 folders
- (114). Researches in Armenia, [ca. 1831]. 2 folders
Autograph Ms in Smith's hand, with his alterations to the text. Another manuscript
at ABC 16.7.3 vols. 1, 2 is copied from this one. For the relationship to the published
book Researches of the Rev. E. Smith and Rev. H. G. O. Dwight in Armenia (1833), see vol. 2, p. viii.
- (115). Notes and resolutions from missionary meetings, 1831-1837. 1 folders
- (116). Rules for the orthography of Arabic and Turkish names and words, in Roman letters.
Adopted by the Syrian Mission of the A.B.C.F.M., 1838and undated. 1 folders
Various Ms drafts and printed leaflet of 7 pp. with Ms annotations by Smith. Also
includes an untitled Ms on the Arabic alphabet.
- (117). History of the Tunukhs, [not before 1838]. 1 folders
- (118). Lists of books, 1846and undated. 1 folders
- (119). Biblical researches in Palestine, and in the adjacent regions : a journal of travels
in the year 1838 /by E. Robinson and E. Smith, . 1 folders
Unbound signatures 12-31 of volume 3, comprising Appendix 2, by Smith, and indices.
- (120). Notes on the Bible, undated. 1 folders
Mostly lists of passages on various themes and translations from the Old Testament.
- (121). The book of surf. Concerning the formation of words and the rules thereof, undated. 1 folders
In Smith's hand. Incomplete.
- (123). Notes on Papal sects in Syria, undated. 1 folders
- (124). Domestic missions, undated. 1 folders
- (125). Notes on the geography of Palestine and Syria, undated. 1 folders
Various unconnected sets of notes.
- (126). Miscellaneous notes and short compositions, undated. 1 folders
- V. Biographical material.
- (127). Bills and accounts, 1827-1829. 1 folders
- (128). Bills, contracts and accounts, 1830-1839. 1 folders
- (129). Accounts of the press at Beirut, 1836-1837. 1 folders
- (130). Bills and accounts, 1840-1847. 1 folders
- (131). Bills and accounts, 1850-1856. 1 folders
- (132). Bills and accounts, [not after 1856]. 1 folders
- (133). Certificates of membership for Eli Smith, 1833, 1840, 1842. 1 folders
In the American Tract Society, American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, American Oriental Society.
- (134). Certificate of membership for Eli Smith in the Societas Historico-Theologica Lipsiensis, 1843. 1 folderspf
- (135). Eli Smith's passport from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1826. 1 folderspf
With visas from Consulates in the Mediterranean, 1826-1830.
- (136). Papers relating to Eli Smith's and Rufus Anderson's travel in Greece, 1829. 1 folders
- (137). Certificates relating to Eli Smith's travel, 1830-1838. 1 folders
- (138). Medical reports on Eli Smith, 1846, 1856, and undated. 1 folders
- (139). Memoirs and eulogies of Eli Smith, 1857-1859. 1 folders
Includes compositions by William Goodell and C. Van Dyck.
- (140). Bills to Hetty Smith, 1857-1869. 1 folders
- (141). Papers relating to the building of a house for Hetty Smith, 1857-1866. 1 folders
Includes lists of subscribers, correspondence, and plans of the house.
- VI. Other papers.
- (142). Association in Aid of Evangelical Missions (London). Prospectus, [ca. 1854]. 1 folders
- (143). Bingham, Hiram. Letter to the author of a book on the Sandwich Islands, 1864. 1 folders
With a clipping of 1863 on the Sandwich Islands churches.
- (144). Syro-Egyptian Society of London. Prospectus, notices and regulations, 1844. 1 folders
Printed leaflets, one with Eli Smith's annotations.
- (145). Van Lennep, Henry. The grave of Henry Martyn : printed pamphlet, 1863. 1 folders
- (146). Specimens of Arabic printing type, [183-]. 1 folders
- (147). Miscellaneous papers, 1818-1864. 1 folders
Handwritten notes and compositions (not by Smith) on various subjects including the
Malta Protestant College, Maronite opposition to the Syrian mission, the Anglican
bishopric of Jerusalem, extracts from the Greek Gazette (with Ms. annotations by Smith),
and old Egyptian inscriptions at Surabit el Khadim.
- (148). Miscellaneous printed leaves, undated 1 folders