MS Ger 146.4
Feininger, Lyonel, 1871-1956. Lyonel Feininger photographs, 1896-1942: Guide.
Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138 USA
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: MS Ger 146.4
Repository: Houghton Library, Harvard Library, Harvard University
Creator: Feininger, Lyonel, 1871-1956.
Title: Lyonel Feininger photographs,
Quantity: 2 linear feet (6 boxes)
Abstract: Black-and-white photographs taken by Lyonel Feininger.
87M-86. Gift of Mr. T. Lux Feininger, 22 Arlington Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02140; received: 1987 September.
Processed by: Elizabeth Falsey
Restricted: fragile; use surrogate. For access to original consult curatorial staff.
Images linked to this finding aid are intended for public access and educational use.
This material is owned and/or held by the Houghton Library, and is provided solely
for the purpose of teaching or individual research. Any other use, including commercial
reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution requires the permission
of the curator.
Copyright in these images is administered by Artists Rights Society (ARS) New York/VG
Lyonel Feininger Photographs, 1896-1942 (MS Ger 146.4). Houghton Library, Harvard
Lyonel Feininger: Photographs
provides access to a searchable database of more than 18,000 negatives and slides
housed in the Busch-Reisinger Museum's Lyonel Feininger Archive. The site also includes
slideshows, information about Feininger's photographic subjects, and a chronology.
Feininger was an American-born artist who went to Germany in 1887 and returned to
the U.S. in 1936.
Muir, Laura. Lyonel Feininger Photographs, 1928-1939. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Art Museums/Busch-Reisinger;
Ostfildern, Germany: Hatje Cantz, 2011.
Arranged into the following series:
- I. Portrait and figure
- II. Architecture
- A. Ruins
- B. Villlage and rustic
- C. Quimper, St. Malo
- D. Paris
- E. Halle a.d. Saale
- F. L. F. enlargements from negatives not by him
- G. Unidentified places
- III. The sea
- IV. Deep [the genius loci]
- V. Railroads
- VI. "Feininger special"
- VII. The street
- VIII. Halle studio
- IX. Harborside
- X. Still life
- XI. Shop windows
- XII. Model yachts
- XIII. Mr. T. Lux Feininger's catalogue of this collection
531 black-and-white photographs taken by Lyonel Feininger. The photographs were identified, given titles, and arranged by T. Lux Feininger, the artist's son. Collection includes T. Lux Feininger's card index to this collection
(item 532), from which the collection finding aid was produced; and some family photographs,
including photographs of Lyonel's wife, Julia Feininger.
- Series: A. Portrait and Figure Photographs, (1) - (39).
- Series: B. Architecture Photographs, (40) - (140).
NOTE: This series divided into 7 subheadings: 1. Ruins (40-49); 2. Village and rustic
(50-66); 3. Quimper, St. Malo (67-95); 4. Paris (96-107); 5. Halle A.d. Salle (108-130);
6. L.F. enlargements from negatives not by him (131-137); 7. Unidentified places (138-140).
- 2. Village and Rustic, (50) - (66).
- 3. Quimper, St. Malo, (67) - (95).
- 5. Halle A.d. Saale (108) - (130).
- 6. L. F. enlargements from negatives not by him, (131) - (137).
- 7. Unidentified Places, (138) - (140).
- Series: C. The Sea Photographs, (141) - (168).
- Series: D. Deep - the Genius Loci Photographs, (169) - (207).
- Series: E. Railroads Photographs, (208) - (288).
- Series: F. "Feininger Special" Photographs, (289) - (362).
- Series: G. The Street Photographs, (363) - (384).
- Series: H. Halle Studio Photographs, (385) - (395).
- Series: I. Harborside Photographs, (396) - (459).
- Series: J. Still Life Photographs, (460) - (475).
- Series: K. Shop Windows Photographs, (476) - (499).
- Series: L. Model Yachts Photographs, (500) - (531).
- Series: M. T. Lux Feininger's Catalogue.
- (532). Feininger, T Lux. [Catalogue of Lyonel Feininger photographs]. A.MS.; [Cambridge, n.d.]. Index cards. Includes comments on individual photographs and on the groups.