[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00681View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
bMS 681

Unitarian Universalist Church of Northern Berkshire, North Adams. Records, 1829-1997: A Finding Aid.

Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

[link]


Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: bMS 681
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University
Creator: Unitarian Universalist Church of Northern Berkshire, North Adams.
Title: Unitarian Universalist Church of Northern Berkshire, North Adams. Records,1829-1997.
Date(s): 1829-1997.
Quantity: 7 boxes
Abstract: Records of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Northern Berkshire, North Adams. They include adminitrative and financial records; club and association records; and clippings, photographs, and scrapbooks. The records span 1829-1997.

Access:

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Biographical / Historical

The First Universalist Society of North Adams was officially organized in 1842. Rev. Hiram Torrey served as its first settled minister until 1844. A meeting house for the congregation was constructed on State Street in 1852 which served the society for forty years. In 1892 the Society voted to build a new church, and the cornerstone for this Romanesque style building was laid on September 2, 1892. In 1928, during the pastorate of the Rev. Mary Andrews Conner, the First Universalist Society of North Adams and the First Universalist Church merged into one organization known as the First Universalist Church of North Adams. After the 1961 merger of Unitarian and Universalist churches, it became known as the Unitarian Universalist Church of Northern Berkshire (this name change occurred c. 1966). On January 1, 1977 it became a fellowship, and acquired a new stone and brick building on State Street in North Adams. Due to financial difficulties and failing membership, the church closed c. 1994.

Arrangement

Organized into the following series:

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of meeting minutes of the executive board, the church council, and the fellowship board; constitutions and by-laws; membership records; building and maintenance records; and birth, marriage and death records. The collection also contains records of church organizations such as the Ladies Aid Society, the Social Club, Universalist Comrades, and the Sunday School Association; as well as newsletters, brochures documenting anniversaries and special events, photographs of the church and church members, and a history of the church written in 1937. Oversized financial records are arranged in box 7.

General

The number after the slash in each entry in the following list indicates the box number, and the number in parentheses is the folder number.

Container List


div00681