[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00547View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
bMS 547

First Universalist Church (Somerville, Mass.). Records, 1861-1984: A Finding Aid.

Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

[link]


Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: bMS 547
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University
Creator: First Universalist Church (Somerville, Mass.).
Title: First Universalist Church (Somerville, Mass.). Records, 1861-1984.
Date(s): 1861-1984.
Quantity: 10 boxes
Abstract: Records of the First Universalist Church of Somerville, Massachusetts, including general record books, membership and pew records, Women's Union and Sunday School records, and documents related to the dissolution of the church. The records span 1861-1984.

Acquisition Information:

Gift of the Unitarian Universalist Association, 1987 and 2006.

Access:

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Related Materials

For related collection, please see bMS 528.

Biographical / Historical

The First Universalist Church in Somerville was legally established in 1854 and organized in 1861. The first pastor of the society was the Rev. George H. Emerson. The church was originally located on Cross Street until it burned down in an 1868 fire. The church was rebuilt at the same location, but then moved in 1918 to 125 Highland Street. The First Universalist Church merged with the West Somerville Universalist Church (formerly the Third Universalist Church of Somerville) in 1952 and then disbanded in 1984.

Arrangement

Organized into the following series:

Scope and Contents

The bulk of this collection consists of church record books, which include membership information, pew rentals, Parish Committee meeting minutes, annual reports, and financial records; and material related to the Women's Union and the Sunday School. There are also legal documents, correspondence, and financial records related to the dissolution of the church, which was sold to King Solomon's Lodge in 1984. The collection also contains printed material related to the church.

Container List


div00547