OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00528View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: bMS 528
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University
Creator: West Somerville Universalist Church (Somerville, Mass.).
Title: West Somerville Universalist Church (Somerville, Mass.). Records, 1884-1950.
Quantity: 4 boxes
Abstract: Records of the West Somerville Universalist Church that include member records, meeting minutes, financial records, and treasurer's reports. There are also record books and papers for the Men's Supper Committee, the Ladies Social Circle, and the Sunday School; as well as a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and the constitution and by-laws for the church.
For related information on the First Universalist Church of Somerville, please see bMS 547.
The first parish meeting for this Universalist congregation in Somerville was held in 1881. In 1886, the Third Universalist Church in Somerville was established, with 21 members. In 1925 these church and parish organizations merged. On February 2, 1927, the name of the church was changed from the Third Universalist Church of Somerville to the West Somerville Universalist Church. A new certificate of organization was issued on March 16, 1927. The church merged with First Universalist Church of Somerville in 1952 and disbanded in 1954. The pastors of the church were:
- Rufus Austin White (1882-1883)
- Charles Augustus Skinner (1884-1889)
- Charles Macomber Smith, DD (1890-1893)
- Thomas Edward Potterton (1893-1901)
- William Couden (1901-1909)
- Harry Adams Hersey (1909-1912)
- Frederick A. Wilmot (1913-1916)
- Henry B. Taylor (1916-1918)
- Isaac Smith (1919-1923)
- Alfred S. Cole (1923-1929)
- Charles P. Hall (1930-1935)
- Thomas A. Sinclair (1935-1936)
- Warren B. Lovejoy (1936-1940)
- Dana E. Klotzle (1942-1943)
- Frederick L. Harrison (1944-1948)
- George Carpenter, student pastor (?-1948)
- Elmer D. Colcord, DD (1948-1950)
The bulk of this collection consists of record books that include member records, meeting minutes, financial records, and treasurer's reports. There are also record books and papers for the Men's Supper Committee, the Ladies Social Circle, and the Sunday School. The collection also contains a scrapbook of newspaper clippings and the constitution and by-laws for the church.