[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00456View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
bMS 456

Third Congregational Society (Cambridge, Mass.) Records (bMS 456): A Finding Aid

Andover-Harvard Theological Library

[link]


Harvard Divinity School

© 1981 The President and Fellows of Harvard College


Last update 2016 June 28

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: bMS 456
Title: Third Congregational Society (Cambridge, Mass.). Records, 1827-1965
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138-1911
Quantity: 2.9 Cubic Feet (11 Boxes)
Abstract: Records of meetings of Society, 1827-1936, 1962; Standing Committee records, 1827-1885, 1909-1940, 1962; Society records, including records of deaths, marriages, baptisms, and members, 1808-1926 (a record of births, marriages, and deaths during Thomas Brattle Gannett's ministry is in the Massachusetts Historical Society); Sunday School treasurer's books, 1921- 1938; Social Service Committee records, 1921-1929; Young People's Club minutes, 1892-1895; Women's Branch Alliance records, 1885-1936; Women's Branch Alliance Executive Board meetings records, 1895-1907, 1924-1935; Women's Branch Alliance treasurer's books, 1905-1936; scrapbook of Society, 1911-1935; treasurer's records, 1878-1938; Austin Street Sewing Society records, 1889-1892, 1895-1899; general files, including short histories of Society, legal papers, reports of the minister (Frank O. Holmes), parish letters, papers re new building (1911), etc.

Processed by:

Alan Seaburg, 1981.

Acquisition Information:

Gift of First Parish in Cambridge and secured by Dr. Conrad Wright, 1974.

Access Restrictions:

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Historical Note

The Third Congregational Society was incorporated June 16, 1827, and erected a brick meeting house on the corner of Thorndike and Third Streets in East Cambridge. The church was organized March 3, 1828, and was sometimes called the East Cambridge Church. It merged with the Cambridgeport Parish in 1885 , whose meeting house was located on Austin Street. After the merger, the Cambridgeport Parish took on the name and endowment of the Third Congregational Society. The Cambridgeport Parish/Third Congregational Society was also known as the Harvard Street Church after it moved to a new building on Harvard Street in 1911. It merged with the First Parish in 1939.

Ministers

Ministers after the merger with the Cambridgeport Parish

Arrangement

Organized into the following series:

Scope and Content

This collection consists of records of meetings of the Society, 1827-1936, 1962; Standing Committee records, 1827-1885, 1909-1940, 1962; Society records, including records of deaths, marriages, baptisms, and members, 1808-1926; Sunday School treasurer's books, 1921-1938; Social Service Committee records, 1921-1929; Young People's Club minutes, 1892-1895; Women's Branch Alliance records, 1885-1936; Women's Branch Alliance Executive Board meetings records, 1895-1907, 1924-1935; Women's Branch Alliance treasurer's books, 1905-1936; a scrapbook of the Society, 1911-1935; treasurer's records, 1878-1938; Austin Street Sewing Society records, 1889-1892, 1895-1899; general files, including short histories of the Society, legal papers, reports of the minister (Frank O. Holmes), parish letters, and papers related to the new building (1911).

Container List


div00456