OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00455View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© 1981 The President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: bMS 455
Title: Cambridgeport Parish (Cambridge, Mass.). Records, 1808-1885
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138-1911
Quantity: 0.7 Cubic Feet (2 Boxes)
Abstract: Records of the parish, 1808-1885.
The Cambridgeport Meeting-house Corporation was established June 15, 1805, and the meeting house on the common bounded by Broadway, Harvard, Columbia, and Boardman Streets was dedicated January 1, 1807. The parish itself was organized in March 1808 and the church in July 1809. Their second meeting house, on Austin Street, was built in 1834. In 1885, the Cambridgeport Parish merged with the Third Congregational Society and took on the name and endowment of the Third Congregational Society. The Cambridgeport Parish was also known as the Harvard Street Church after 1911 when it moved to a new building on Harvard Street. It merged with the First Parish in 1939.
- Thomas Brattle Gannett
- Artemas Bowers Muzzey
- John Fothergill Waterhouse Ware
- Henry Clapp Badger
- George Ware Briggs
This collection consists of the records of the Cambridgeport Parish, 1808-1885. For church records (including births, marriages and deaths) see the Third Congregational Society records. For a record of births, marriages, and deaths during Thomas Brattle Gannett's ministry see the collection of the Massachusetts Historical Society.
For later ministers and additional related records, please see bMS 456.