[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00357View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
bMS 357

Beacon Universalist Parish (Brookline, Mass.) Records (bMS 357): A Finding Aid

Andover-Harvard Theological Library

[link]


Harvard Divinity School

© 1979 The President and Fellows of Harvard College


Last update 2016 June 28

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: bMS 357
Title: Beacon Universalist Parish (Brookline, Mass.) Records, 1859-1863
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138-1911
Quantity: 1 Foot
Abstract: Record books, including financial records of the Fifth Universalist Church in Boston, Shawmut Universalist Society and Church, Beacon Universalist Parish and Church (1837-1946); record books and papers of the Shawmut Universalist Sunday School Association/Every Day Church Sunday School/Beacon Universalist Church School (1863-1944); programs, clippings, photographs.

Processed by:

Elizabeth Ann Falsey, 1979.

Acquisition Information:

Gift of the First Parish Church, Waltham, Massachusetts, 1968.

Access Restrictions:

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Historical Note

The society held its first public meeting in Boylston Hall, Boston, on January 3, 1836, and formal organization took place a week later. The Sunday School was organized in March 1837; the church was organized July 27, 1837, and reorganized August 20, 1837. The society was incorporated in March 1838 as the Fifth Universalist Society in Boston. A church building was constructed on Warren Street and was dedicated January 30, 1839.
In February 1863, the society changed its name to the Shawmut Universalist Society and was joined in March 1863 to the South Universalist Church. After meeting for several months in the Concord Street chapel of the South Church, they bought a church on Shawmut Avenue, which was rededicated in April 1864. During the ministry of George Landor Perin, the church was known as the "Every-Day Church" because of its varied program of social work and neighborhood activities.
In 1891, some of its members who lived in Brookline began to hold services there. In 1904 the society decided to move to Brookline and join with that group. They built a church on Harvard Avenue in Brookline and the society changed its name in 1905 to the Beacon Universalist Parish. The church building was sold in 1906, and the members held occasional services in a rented chapel. On November 15, 1939, J. Q. Parkhurst, minister of the Church of our Savior in Waltham was installed also as minister of the Beacon Parish, and regular services were held for two years. In 1941, the parish voted to hold union services with the Church of our Savior in Waltham. A full merger with the Waltham church was completed in 1943.

Ministers

Scope and Content

This collection consists of record books, including financial records of the Fifth Universalist Church in Boston, Shawmut Universalist Society and Church, Beacon Universalist Parish and Church (1837-1946); as well as record books and papers of the Shawmut Universalist Sunday School Association/Every Day Church Sunday School/Beacon Universalist Church School (1863-1944); programs, clippings, and photographs.

Container List


div00357