OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00355View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: bMS 355
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University
Title: South Universalist Church (Boston, Mass.) Records, 1859-1863
Quantity: 1 items
Abstract: Record book (1859-1863) of the Sunday School Association of the Church of the Paternity/South Universalist Church.
The South Universalist Church was organized as the Church of the Paternity on March 7, 1859, and a chapel on Concord Street was dedicated on April 1, 1859. Its Sunday School had been meeting in Concord Hall since February 1859. On November 28, 1859, Edwin Courtland Bowles was installed as minister; he remained until 1861. On January 23, 1862, they changed their name to South Universalist Church. In 1863, the society decided to merge with the Shawmut Universalist Society. The last service was held on February 22, 1863, and the society was dissolved on March 18, 1863. On April 3, 1863, the churches formally united; the united church used the Concord Street chapel until a new building on Shawmut Street was dedicated in 1864.
This collection consists of a record book (1859-1863) of the Sunday School Association of the Church of the Paternity/South Universalist Church.