St. Paul's Universalist Church (Jamaica Plain, Boston, Mass.) Records
(bMS 291): A Finding Aid
Andover-Harvard Theological Library
Harvard Divinity School
© 1978 The President and Fellows of Harvard College
Last update 2016 June 27
Call No.: bMS 291
Title: St. Paul's Universalist Church (Jamaica Plain, Boston, Mass.). Records, 1873-1938
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological
Library, Harvard Divinity School
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138-1911
Quantity: (2 Boxes)
Abstract: Record books (1888-1928), including minutes; correspondence, reports,
programs; church register (1888-1922), including lists of members, marriages,
baptisms; pamphlet constitution of the Jamaica Plain Universalist Parish (1873).
Elizabeth Ann Falsey, 1978
Gift of the Universalist Historical Society, 1976.
There are no restrictions on access to this
Universalist services were first held in the meetinghouse of the Central Congregational Society on Greenough Avenue
purchased by the Jamaica Plain Universalist Parish in1871. The church was organized on April 2, 1888. Land was
acquired on Rockview Street in 1889, but a new church was not built
until 1892. Services ceased in 1927. On January
16, 1928, at a called meeting of the members, the treasurer was instructed to
execute a deed for the property to the Massachusetts Universalist
This collection consists of record books, 1888-1928, including minutes;
correspondence, reports, programs; church register 1888-1922, including lists of
members, marriages, baptisms; and a pamphlet constitution of the Jamaica Plain Universalist Parish, 1873.
- bMS 291/1 (1) Constitution and By-laws of the Jamaica Plain Universalist Parish,
Date: 1873 (pamphlet).
- bMS 291/1 (2) St. Paul's Universalist Church of Jamaica Plain. Record book,
Date: 1888-1906. Includes: by-laws, list of charter members, record of organization,
Date: 1888; minutes,
Date: October 4, 1888-October 11, 1906, containing reports of pastor, officers, and affiliated groups.
- bMS 291/1 (3) Legal documents, including: agreement to form a
corporation, with signatures of charter members,
Date: April 2, 1888; notice of first meeting,
Date: September 24, 1888; statement of
Date: November 7, 1888.
- bMS 291/1 (4) Documents concerning church property: agreement to purchase warrantee deed, mortgage deed, Massachusetts Universalist Convention deed,
- bMS 291/1 (5) Miscellaneous papers from bMS 291/1 (2), including: clipping with cut of chapel,
Date: 1891: program of
installation of Frank K. Gifford,
Date: 1893, with Trustees' report,
Date: 1900; agreement to purchase organ,
Date: 1896; clipping,
Date: December 1898, concerning Church
festival; Treasurer's reports,
Date: 1902 and
- bMS 291/1 (6) By-laws,
- bMS 291/1 (7) Letter, lists, and notes, concerning membership
campaign in Hyde Park,
- bMS 291/1 (8) Correspondence, reports, minutes,
- bMS 291/2 (1) St. Paul's Universalist Church. Record book,
Date: 1919-1928. Includes: minutes,
Date: January 23, 1919-November 30, 1927, with reports of pastor, clerk, treasurer, and women's and Sunday School
organizations; copies of correspondence, warrants, memorials; affidavits. Note: final meeting was held on 16 January 1928.
- bMS 291/2 (2) Membership and subscription lists,
Date: 1916-1921 and n.d.
- bMS 291/2 (3) Reports, minutes, programs,
Date: 1921-1924 and n.d.,
including reports of Parish worker,
- bMS 291/2 (4) Copies of letters,
Date: 1938, concerning former Church members.
- bMS 291/2 (5) Cradle Roll and Birthday record book,
Date: 1908-1924; list of Sunday School library books, n.d.; photograph of Mary I.
- bMS 291/2 (6) Church and Parish register, including lists of: pastors,
Date: 1888-1935; members,
Date: 1888-1921, with additional
Date: 1935; marriages,
Date: 1895-1920; baptisms,