OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00247View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
© 1978 The President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: bMS 247.
Title: Third Universalist Society (Cambridge, Mass.). Records, 1876-1918
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School
45 Francis Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138-1911
Quantity: 0.35 Cubic Feet (1 Box)
Abstract: Society record book, including membership lists and minutes (1876-1918); Church calendars; clippings.
This collection consists of a society record book, that includes membership lists and minutes (1876-1918), as well as church calendars and clippings.
The church began as a Unitarian society organized October 8, 1851, and called the Allen Street Congregational Society. Its first meeting house, on the southeast corner of Orchard and Allen Streets was built between 1851 and 1853 and was destroyed by fire on March 19, 1865. Another meeting house was built on its site and completed by the end of that year. In 1869 the society voted to change its affiliation to the Universalist denomination, and in 1870 it was granted formal fellowship. By an Act of the General Court (Massachusetts Special Laws, 1864, ch. 103), its name was changed to The Third Universalist Society of Cambridge.The congregation built a larger brick church on the south side of Massachusetts Ave. (then called North Ave.), which was dedicated September 14, 1876. The society dissolved on January 13, 1929.
Ministers of the Allen Street Congregational Society
- James Thurston
- Caleb Davis Bradlee
- John M. Marsters
- Frederick West Holland
- John M. Marsters
- Charles E. Fay, stated supply
Ministers of the Third Universalist Society
- William A. Start
- Isaac Murray Atwood
- Charles W. Biddle
- Frank O. Hall
- Augustus P. Reccord
- William B. Eddy
- Frederick W. Hamilton
- Edson Reifsnider
- Lucius R. Paige, II