[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00087View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
bMS 87

Unitarian Church, Newton Centre, Mass. Records, 1881-1933 (bMS 00087): A Finding Aid.

Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

[link]


Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: bMS 87
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University
Creator: Unitarian Church, Newton Centre, Mass.
Title: Unitarian Church, Newton Centre, Mass. Records, 1881-1933.
Date(s): 1881-1933
Quantity: 1 boxes
Abstract: Collection consists of a short history of the church, a record book of the Women's Auxiliary, (1887-1889), a record book of the Stebbins branch of the National Alliance (1891-1916), and a scrapbook containing clippings on Dr. Albert C. Dieffenbach (1876-1963); biographical information and photographs of Rev. Rufus Phineas Stebbins (1810-1885), and newspaper clippings, church notices, photographs, etc.

Processing Information:

Processed by Fran O'Donnell, 2015.

Access:

There are no restrictions on access to this collection.

Biographical / Historical

In 1877, ten families from Newton Centre and Newton Highlands traveled to the Channing Church in Newton, and then decided they could form a church in Newton Centre. In 1878 the question of organizing as a religious Society was discussed and it was voted to take the necessary steps towards forming a Society. Fifty-eight people signed a covenant and the Church was incorporated in 1892. The first minister was Rev. Rufus Stebbins, and he served for eight years. The church went through several renovations, and in 1949 it was sold to the Lutheran Church of the Newtons, and the congregation scattered, some going to the West Newton Unitarian Church and some to the First Church in Chestnut Hill.

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of a short history of the church, a record book of the Women's Auxiliary, (1887-1889), a record book of the Stebbins branch of the National Alliance (1891-1916), and a scrapbook. The scrapbook contains church notices, newspaper clippings on Dr. Albert C. Dieffenbach (1876-1963), biographical information on Rev. Rufus Phineas Stebbins (1810-1885), and photographs. The photographs portray the interior and exterior of the church, a Sunday School class, and some of the early members of the church, including Rev. Stebbins.

Container List


div00087