[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:DIV.LIB:div00011View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
bMS 00011

First Congregational Church and Society in Brighton (Brighton, Boston, Mass.) Records: A Finding Aid

Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

[link]


Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: bMS 00011
Repository: Andover-Harvard Theological Library, Harvard Divinity School, Harvard University
Creator: First Congregational Church and Society in Brighton (Brighton, Boston, Mass.).
Title: First Congregational Church and Society in Brighton (Brighton, Boston, Mass.). Records,
Date(s): 1721-1966.
Quantity: 10 boxes
Abstract: Records of the First Congregational Church and Society in Brighton (Brighton, Boston, Mass.); includes treasurer's records, records of the Standing Committee, Parish Committee, First Parish Unity Club, and other church groups; financial records; preaching receipts; parish bills; parish announcements; Sunday school papers; pew deeds and accounts; parish church tax books; meeting minutes, and marriage records.

Immediate Source of Acquisition:

Gift of the Unitarian Universalist Association. Material in box 8, folder 8 was donated by Mrs. Clarence Blake.

Biographical / Historical

From 1636 to 1737, the people of Brighton, called Little Cambridge, worshipped with the Cambridge Society. The Society in Brighton was organized in 1737, and in 1744, it built its first meeting house. In 1779, the General Court granted a "legal" existence to the Society as the "South" or Third Parish of Cambridge. On February 26, 1783, the "First Parish in Brighton" was organized as a Parish independent of Cambridge. On November 1, 1784, Rev. John Foster was ordained as the first pastor of the Church. In 1809 the second meeting house was dedicated. Both these meeting houses were on the corner of Washington and Market Streets. On July 1, 1894 the cornerstone of the new Church on Chestnut Hill Avenue was laid by the minister, Rev. Albert Walkley. On March 31, 1895 the new Church was dedicated. (From The First Parish by Rev. Albert Walkley, minister).

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of the records of the First Congregational Church and Society in Brighton, Massachusetts. It includes treasurer's records and records of the Standing Committee, Parish Committee, First Parish Unity Club, and other church groups. The collection also includes financial records, preaching receipts, parish bills and announcements, Sunday school papers, pew deeds and accounts, parish church tax books, marriage records, and meeting minutes of the "inhabitants on the south side of the Charles River."

Container List


div00011