OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
|http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:GSD.loeb:des00022View HOLLIS Record
Questions or Comments Copyright Statement
On July 1, 2018, OASIS will retire. It will be replaced by HOLLIS for Archival Discovery. Please explore.
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: DES.2009.0001.011762445
Repository: Special Collections, Frances Loeb Library, Graduate School of Design, Harvard University
Title: Harvard University, Graduate School of Design. The GSD History Collection, Academic Affairs: An Inventory
Quantity: 21 linear feet
Quantity: Extent is approximate
Abstract: This collection includes documents relating to the organization and administration of academic courses and programs at Harvard's Graduate School of Design, mainly between 1936 and 1993.
The first academic degree programs in architecture and landscape architecture at Harvard emerged from design education initiatives that began in 1874 when Charles Eliot Norton introduced architectural history into his fine arts courses. The first Harvard course devoted exclusively to architecture was offered by Herbert Langford Warren in 1893. In 1899 the first Harvard building devoted solely to instruction in the fields of design was started in memory of Nelson Robinson, Jr., a former Harvard student who had been interested in architectural design and landscape architecture. The Faculty of Architecture was established in 1914 to coordinate the curricula and degrees in architecture and landscape architecture. City planning became the third component of the design curriculum in 1909, when James Sturgis Pray began teaching planning courses within the landscape architecture program. It was not until 1936 that Harvard created a separate professional school for these various disciplines when the Graduate School of Design was established for the study of architecture, landscape architecture, and city planning. Joseph Hudnut was appointed dean of the newly established GSD, and he invited Walter Gropius to come to Harvard as chairman of the department of architecture in 1936. Another landmark during this period was the admission of women to the GSD for the first time in 1942. The postwar era brought enormous changes for all three professions. Both Hudnut and Gropius reached retirement age in the early 1950s, and Josep Lluis Sert was appointed dean in 1953. Among his many contributions was the establishment in 1960 of the first degree program in urban design in the United States.
The collection GSD History Collection: Academic Affairs is arranged into five main series: Series A, Academic Programs; Series B, Faculty; Series C, Course Materials; and Series D, Sponsored Research; and Series E, Programs and Activities. The series are further subdivided thereunder into Subseries as follows: Series A (Harvard University GSD, Academic Affairs: Academic Programs) is comprised of Subseries AA: Academic Programs and Curriculum Development; Subseries AB: Landscape Department Colloquia, Seminar and Lecture Series; Subseries AC: Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards. Series B (Harvard University GSD, Academic Affairs: Faculty) is comprised of Subseries BA: Faculty, Directories and Handbooks; Subseries BB: Faculty Biographical Records; Subseries BC: Faculty-Related Material; and Subseries BD: Faculty Personal and Academic Papers. Series C (Harvard University GSD, Academic Affairs: Course Materials) is comprised of Subseries CA: Course Bulletins; Subseries CB: Course Descriptions, Landscape Architecture Department; Subseries CC: Course Work, Studio Work; Subseries CD: Course Work, Studio Negatives; Subseries CE: Course Work, Student Projects; and Subseries CF: Course Work, Studio Photostats. Series D (Harvard University GSD, Academic Affairs: Sponsored Research) is comprised of Subseries DA: Harvard Jerusalem Study; Subseries DB: Other Sponsored Research; and Subseries DC: Background Information. Series E (Harvard University GSD, Academic Affairs: Programs and Activities) is comprised of Subseries EA: Advanced Research Programs; Subseries EB: Other Research Programs; and Subseries EC: Professional Development and Career Dicovery Programs.
This collection documents aspects relating to the organization and administration of academic courses and programs. Materials include curriculum development papers, departmental papers related to seminars, exhibitions and lectures, information on scholarships, fellowships and awards. It also includes some faculty papers, course materials, and materials related to professional development courses offered through the school. The vast majority of the materials span the years 1936-1993.