Mss:783 1893-1961 H414
Hayden, Stone & Co. Hayden, Stone & Company Records, 1893-1961 (inclusive): A Finding
Baker Library Special Collections, Harvard Business School, Harvard University
Harvard Business School, Boston MA 02163.
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Mss:783 1893-1961 H414
Repository: Baker Library Special Collections, Harvard Business School, Harvard University
Title: Hayden, Stone & Company records
Quantity: 5 linear feet (46 volumes)
Language of materials: English
The Hayden, Stone, & Company records were received by Baker Library Special Collections
as a donation from the Charles Hayden Foundation, 1971.
Collection is open for research. Materials stored onsite. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for more information.
Cite as: Hayden, Stone & Company Records. Baker Library, Harvard Business School.
The brokerage firm, Hayden, Stone & Co., was founded in 1892 by Charles Hayden and
Charles Hayden was born in Boston in 1870 to Josiah Willard and Emma Augusta Hayden.
His father was a Boston leather and shoe merchant. Young Charles graduated from the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1890, with a degree in mining and engineering.
Upon graduation he entered into the brokerage firm of Clark, Ward & Co., where he
met Galen Stone. Hayden borrowed $20,000 from his father and joined Stone to form
Hayden, Stone & Co.
An astute business man, Hayden achieved a prominent place in corporate financing.
He was active in the business up to the time of his death in 1937. As Hayden's personal
investments and prestige grew, he was elected to many boards of directors which included
mining, transit, freight, banking, manufacturing companies. For all his accomplishments
in finance, Hayden was a renown philanthropist, establishing the Charles Hayden Foundation.
The Foundation financed the building of boy's clubs, funded charities interested in
boy's work, and aided youth service organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America.
Galen Stone was born in 1862. A financial editor of the Boston Advertiser, he worked
for many years in the commercial publishing and financial journalism fields. He joined
Clark, Ward & Co. teaming up with the young Charles Hayden. Also successful in business
and accumulating a large personal fortune, Stone was widely known as a man of intense
human sympathy. He was prominent in settlement house developments in the Boston area
and contributed to a broad range of charitable and cultural endeavors. He died in
Hayden, Stone & Co. began its brokerage business in Boston at 87 Milk Street, and
the new partners bought seats on the Boston Stock Exchange. For a time Hayden and
Stone specialized in copper stocks. They produced a keen analysis of copper companies'
stocks, based upon the conditions of the industry and the current state of the market.
This proved to be a turning point for the company as orders began to come in with
greater regularity. In 1906 the business moved its offices to New York City and the
firm, in addition to its brokerage activities, became a leading underwriting and investment
The Collection contains the partial records of Hayden, Stone & Co., which include
private ledgers, 1899-1939. Also contained in the collection are stock accounts of
Charles Hayden and his estate, of J. Willard Hayden, and of certain trusts, and one
journal of the Charles Hayden Foundation.
- Series: Hayden, Stone & Company records
Scope and Contents: Series consists of partial records of the company, which include Private ledgers,
1899-1937; Accounts, 1934-1937; Stock purchases, 1921-1935; and various account books
- Volume 1, Private ledger
- Volume 2, Private ledger
- Volume 3, Private ledger
- Volume 4, Private ledger
- Volume 5, Private ledger
- Volume 6, Private ledger
- Volume 7, Private ledger
- Volume 8, Trial balances for private ledgers
- Volume 9, Petty expense
- Volume 10, Summary ledger (for various offices of the Company)
- Volume 11, Summary accounts: notes payable, accounts receivable, operations, bond interest, profit
- Volume 12, Cash
- Volume 13, Detail of private ledgers
- Volume 14, Accounts
- Volume 15, Stock purchase account
- Volume 16, Stock purchase account
- Volume 17, Closed accounts stock
- Series: Charles Hayden and the Estate of Charles Hayden
Scope and Contents: Series consists of Charles Hayden Accounts, 1919-1937 and Stock Accounts, 1919-1932;
Estate cash books, 1937-1940, journals, 1938-1940, stocks, 1937-1940 and cash receipts
and disbursements, 1937-1947. Also included are board of director's meeting minutes
for the Equitable Trust Company of New York. Hayden served on the board of directors.
- Volume 18, Accounts
- Volume 19, Stock account
- Volume 20, Stock account
- Volume 21, Cash book 1
- Volume 22, Cash book 2
- Volume 23, Cash book 3
- Volume 24, Journal 1
- Volume 25, Journal 2
- Volume 26, Journal
- Volume 27, Securities owned
- Volume 28, Stock
- Volume 29, Stock liquidation
- Volume 30, Cash receipts and disbursements
- Volume 31, Cash receipts and disbursements
- Volume 40, Equitable Trust Company of New York Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
- Volume 41, Equitable Trust Company of New York Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
- Volume 42, Equitable Trust Company of New York Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
- Volume 43, Equitable Trust Company of New York Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
- Volume 44, Equitable Trust Company of New York shareholders
- Volume 45, Equitable Trust Company of New York shareholders
- Series: Josiah W. Hayden
Scope and Contents: Series consists of Stock Accounts, 1928-1936; Accounts, Cash books and General journals,
- Volume 32, Stock
- Volume 33, Accounts
- Volume 34, Accounts
- Volume 35, Cash book and general journal
- Volume 36, Cash book and general Journal
- Series: Various Trusts
Scope and Contents: Series consists of a Ledger, 1937-1961, and trust ledgers for N. Blanche Hayden, J.
Willard Hayden, and Anita Stewart Morris.
- Volume 37, Ledger
- Volume 38N. Blanch Hayden Trust, J. Willard Hayden Trust Anita Stewart Morris Trust
- Volume 39N. Blanch Hayden Trust, J. Willard Hayden Trust Anita Stewart Morris Trust
- Series: Charles Hayden Foundation
- Volume 46, Charles Hayden Foundation ledger
Banks and banking
Investment banking--New York (State)--New York.
Trusts and trustees