Mss:766 1801-1872 B915
Bryant & Sturgis (Boston, Mass.)Bryant & Sturgis (Boston, Mass.) records, 1801-1872
(inclusive): A Finding Aid
Baker Library Historical Collections, Harvard Business School, Harvard University
Harvard Business School, Boston MA 02163.
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: Mss:766 1801-1872 B915
Repository: Baker Library Historical Collections, Harvard Business School, Harvard University
Creator: Bryant & Sturgis (Boston, Mass.)
Title: Bryant & Sturgis (Boston, Mass.) records
Quantity: 2 linear feet (15 volumes, 1 envelope)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: Records of Bryant & Sturgis, a Boston mercantile firm engaged chiefly in the China
Appointment necessary to consult collection.
Vol. 10 (Letterbook, 1818-1829) and Vols. 14-15 (C.H. Hammatt Journal, 1823-1825)
are available on microfilm (2 reels, 35 mm.) for use in the Historical Collections
Reading Room, Baker Library. Order nos. 74-1851 and 95-2715.
Cite as: Bryant & Sturgis (Boston, Mass.) records. Baker Library Historical Collections.
Harvard Business School.
Baker Library holds the John Bryant account books, 1801-1812. This two volume collection
contains a ledger and an account book kept by merchant John Bryant before entering
into partnership with William Sturgis in Bryant & Sturgis.
Mercantile firm of Boston, Mass. engaged chiefly in the China trade . The partners were John Bryant and William Sturgis.
The collection includes waste books, journals, ledgers, and letter books (including
one of John Perkins Cushing ). There are statements of account of William Sturgis , 1827-1861 (with gaps); a journal (diary) of Charles H. Hammatt , Sandwich Islands ( Hawaii ), 1823-1825; and an exchange reckoner of John Sturgis, 1821.
- Volume 1Waste book, 1812-1815
- Volume 2Waste book, 1828-1832
- Volume 3Waste book, 1857-1866
- Volume 4Journal, 1833-1839
- Volume 5Ledger, 1812-1817
- Volume 6Accounts current, D, 1858-1863
- Volume 7Invoice book, outward, 1838-1845
- Volume 8Letter book, 1811-1814
- Volume 9Letter book, 1814-1818
- Volume 10Letter book, 1818-1829
Vol. 10 (Letterbook, 1818-1829) is available on microfilm for use in the Historical
Collections Reading Room, Baker Library. Order no. 74-1851.
- Volume 11Letter book, 1837-1872
- Volume 12J. P. Cushing's private letter book, 1828-ca. 1842
- Volume 13Trial balances and estimates of return cargoes, 1828-ca. 1850
Kept by J. P. Cushing
- Box 14, Folder 1Letters to J. P. Cushing, 1829-1838
- Box 14, Folder 2Estimate of property of Perkins & Co., 2nd establishment, 3rd establishment
- Box 14, Folder 3Statement of William Sturgis in acct. with Bryant & Sturgis, 1827-1830, 1847, 1849-1861
- Box 14, Folder 4Miscellaneous papers of William Sturgis, including indenture and receipts
- Volume 15Journal (diary) of Charles H. Hammatt, May 6, 1823 - June 9, 1825.
Vol. 15 (C. H. Hammatt journal, 1823-1825) is available on microfilm for use in the
Historical Collections Reading Room, Baker Library. Order no. 95-2715.
48 p. Hammatt was agent for Bryant & Sturgis in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii). He
tells about efforts to sell a vessel (Cleopatra's Barge) to King Riho Riho, arrivals
and departures of other vessels. With some notes by the donor. Also copy of letter
from Hammatt,Boston, October 5, 1827.
Export marketing -- Massachusetts.
Boston (Mass.) -- Commerce.
Cushing, John Perkins, 1787-1862
Hammatt, Charles H.
Sturgis, William, 1782-1863.
Bryant and Sturgis.