[OASIS] Harvard University Library
OASIS: Online Archival Search Information System
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:HBS.Baker.EAD:bak00095View HOLLIS Record   Frames Version
Questions or Comments   Copyright Statement
Mss:306 1945-1970 J76

Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation Photographs, 1945-1970: A Finding Aid

Baker Library Historical Collections, Harvard Business School, Harvard University

[link]


Harvard Business School, Boston MA 02163.

© President and Fellows of Harvard College

Descriptive Summary

Call No.: Mss:306 1945-1970 J76
Repository: Baker Library Historical Collections, Harvard Business School, Harvard University
Creator: Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation
Title: Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation Photographs
Date(s): 1945-1970
Quantity: 5.75 linear feet (6 boxes)
Language of materials: English
Abstract: This collection consists of black and white photographic prints that depict many of the processes, work, and products made by Jones and Laughlin Steel Company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Processing Information:

Processed: February 2002
By: Naomi Sanger

Processing Note:

The photographs were rehoused in acid-free folders and boxes. The folders were labeled with the original captions and numbers.

Conditions Governing Access:

Appointment necessary to consult collection.

Preferred Citation:

Cite as: Jones and Laughlin Corporation Collection. Baker Library Historical Collections. Harvard Business School.

Historical Note:

Jones & Laughlin Steel was established in 1853 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as a result of several interlocking partnerships between members of the Jones and Laughlin families. The partnerships consolidated in 1902 to become the Jones & Laughlin Steel Company, then the nation's second largest producer of steel. The company incorporated in 1923 as the Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation. Jones & Laughlin had major steel manufacturing works at Pittsburgh; Aliquippa, Pennsylvania; Cleveland, Ohio; and Hennepin, Illinois. In 1974, Jones & Laughlin became a wholly owned subsidiary of the LTV Corporation, although it continued to do business under its original name. Like the rest of the American steel industry, Jones & Laughlin's fortunes declined steadily through the 1970s and 1980s. In 1984, the LTV Corporation merged with the Republic Steel Corporation. The new company, which was significantly reduced in size, was renamed LTV Steel.

Scope and Content Note:

The collection consists of fifty-one black and white photographic prints. The photographs appear to date circa 1945 to 1970, although exact dates are unknown. The images illustrate many of the processes, work, and products made at several Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation facilities, including the works at Pittsburgh and Aliquippa. Several of the photographs depict Jones and Laughlin employees at work. The photographs are arranged according to their size.
The photographs, which are each mounted on a rigid piece of fiberboard, were removed from a Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation exhibit in 1973. The original location and date of this exhibit are unknown. There is a number written on the back of each print that may correspond to its location in the original exhibit.
A number of the photographs were published in Portraits in Steel: An Illustrated History of Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation by David H. Wollman and Donald R. Inman (Kent, Ohio: The Kent State University Press, 1999.)

Container List


bak00095