Arnold Arboretum. Records of Published Programs, Guides, and Maps of the Arnold Arboretum,
(1900-1999) : A Finding Aid
Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: V C-1
Repository: Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
Creator: Arnold Arboretum
Quantity: 3 boxes
These informational publications were produced by various departments, staff members,
and affiliates of the Arnold Arboretum. This collection was compiled by Kelly McCarthy
in December of 2000. The HOLLIS # for this collection is 009163144 and the file name
Processed by: Kelly McCarthy and Joseph Melanson
Researchers seeking to examine archival materials are strongly encouraged to make
an appointment. The Director, or an office of origin, may place restrictions on the
use of some or all of its records. The extent and length of the restriction will be
determined by the Director, office of origin, and the Archivist and will be enforced
equally for all researchers.
The copyright is held by The President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Arnold
Arboretum Archives of Harvard University. The copyright on some materials in the collection
may be held by the original author or the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining written permission from the holder(s) of copyright and the
Arnold Arboretum Archives prior to publishing any quotations or images from materials
in this collection.
Photocopies may be made at the discretion of the Arnold Arboretum Archives staff.
Permission to make photocopies does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish
materials outside the bounds of the fair use guidelines.
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University is a 265-acre site, located at 165 Arborway,
Jamaica Plain, MA, that conducts research on and displays North America's premier
collection of hardy trees, shrubs and vines. The grounds were planned and designed
by the Arboretum's first director, Charles Sprague Sargent, and America's first landscape
architect, Frederick Law Olmsted. Begun in 1872 and named for its benefactor James
Arnold, the Arboretum remains one of the best preserved of Olmsted's landscapes.
As a National Historic Landmark and an international center for scientific research
and education, the mission of the Arnold Arboretum is to increase knowledge of woody
plants through research and dissemination of that knowledge through education. This
mission is carried out in part by published articles, books, guides and maps. This
archival collection, which begins in 1900 and continues forward, is focused on those
publications that are directed to the general public and the local community.
The collection includes published guides, books, articles, and maps that provide basic
information about the Arnold Arboretum to visitors and the local community. The earliest
guides in the collection have a copyright date of 1900 and dates continue to the present.
Many of the guides and maps are included in successive editions of the same publication.
Study of the guides reveal changes in the landscape and its interpretation.
The guides are currently housed in three boxes containing thirty two folders. This
collection is expected to grow as changes in the landscape are made and interpretation
follows. A section for the Case Estates of Weston, MA, which is part of the Arnold
Arboretum and is a site that provides botanical experimentation, display and education,
is housed in folders 21-23. Most of the materials are arranged chronologically, except
in instances where no date has been ascertained with certainty.
- 1. Map of Arnold Arboretum: showing location of the trees and shrubs.
Published by Geo. H. Walker & Co, c1900.
- 2. Map of Arnold Arboretum: showing location of the trees and shrubs.
Published by Geo. H. Walker & Co, c1900.
- 3. Plan of the Arnold Arboretum: Harvard University.
Published by Walker Lith. & Pub. Co., Boston, Mass, [1918?].
- 4. A guide to the Arnold Arboretum. / Charles S. Sargent. 1911.
"With the compliments of the Director of the Arnold Arboretum."
- 5. A guide to the Arnold Arboretum. / Charles S. Sargent. 1912. [HOLLIS no.003393474 ]
- 6. A guide to the Arnold Arboretum. / Charles S. Sargent. 1921. 2nd. Edition [HOLLIS no. 006862054]
- 7. A guide to the Arnold Arboretum. / Charles S. Sargent. 1925. 2nd. Edition. [HOLLIS no. 003051787]
- 8a-8c. America's greatest garden: The Arnold Arboretum / E.H. Wilson 1925. [HOLLIS no.003394639]
- Through the Arnold Arboretum./ Arnold Arboretum. 1934. [HOLLIS no. 003051787]
- "Bird's eye view" Map insert.
[See article, "Arboretum issues new guide for visitors" in the Boston Herald 5 Aug, 1934.] Folder 12 of this collection.
- 10. Through the Arnold Arboretum. / Arnold Arboretum. 1934. [HOLLIS no.003051787]
- 11. Through the Arnold Arboretum / Arnold Arboretum.  [HOLLIS no.000002543]
- 12. "Arboretum issues new guide for visitors." Boston Sunday Herald, 5 August 1934. Includes map found in "Through the Arboretum" early issues.
- 13. The Arnold Arboretum. 1954. [Identifies the plantings around the administration building.]
- 14. Through the Arnold Arboretum. / S.B. Sutton. c1968. [HOLLIS no. 006215666]
- 15. The Arnold Arboretum. 1960, 1963, and 1966
- 16. The Arnold Arboretum. 1972,1975. [Includes order form from T.O. Metcalf Company Printers.]
- 17. Maps
- The Arnold Arboretum. circa 1980.
- Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University: map guide. c1982.
- Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University: map guide. c1985.
- The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University: map. c1988.
- 17a. Publications for Kids
- "A study in green." The Arnold Arboretum's Tree-cheers-for-kids mystery map 2. 1987.
- Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University Plant explorers' map. nd.
- The language of flowers. A tree cheers for kids map. nd.
- The mysterious forest. A tree-cheers-for-kids Halloween map. nd.
- 18. Maps
- The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University: map guide. c1991.
- Living collections map guide: the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. c1995.
- Living collections map guide: The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. 1996
- The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. 1995. [Directions card]
- Living collections map guide: The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. 1997.
- The Arnold Arboretum map & guide to the living collections. / c1999.
- 19. Specific & Seasonal Collection Guides
- A guide to conifers in the Arnold Arboretum. With photocopy of Harvard University
Gazette insert. November 1987.
- Autumn waves its magic wand over the Arboretum. With photocopy of Harvard University Gazette insert. September 1988
- A guide to summer trees in the Arnold Arboretum.
- A guide to winter trees in the Arnold Arboretum New guided trail gives visitors spring
vistas. Photocopy of Harvard University Gazette insert. February 1987.
- A guide to spring trees in the Arnold Arboretum. Photocopy of Harvard University Gazette insert. April 1989.
- Foliage: Viewing a new bounty at the Arboretum. Photocopy of Harvard University Gazette insert. September 1989.
- 20. Self Guided Tours
- Centenarian trees and shrubs of the Arnold Arboretum: a self-guided tour.
Photographs by Istvan Racz and Zsolt Debreczy.199?
- Family Maple Adventure (1 copy)
- 21-23. Case Estates
- 21. Pre-publication information (galleys, layout, bills, etc.) : author's notes, drafts
for Trees for urban/suburban landscapes.
- 22. Trees for urban/suburban landscapes : Case Estates of the Arnold Arboretum / Mabel-Maria
Herweg, Susan Cheever.
President and Fellows of Harvard College, c1982. [Includes bibliographic information
- The Case Estates of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University.
- The Case Estates: the Arnold Arboretum.