Spongberg, Stephen A. Papers of Stephen A. Spongberg, (1970-1998): A Finding Aid
Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: II A-11
Repository: Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
Creator: Spongberg, Stephen A.
Quantity: 11 linear feet
Stephen Alan Spongberg's papers were transferred to the Archives upon his departure
from the Arboretum in 1998. The papers were received in a mixed order, they were then
processed and ordered chronologically where necessary. Most of the folder titles are
the original titles that Dr. Spongberg used. The HOLLIS # for this collection is 009147442
and the file name is ajp00036.
Processed by: Joseph Melanson
Researchers seeking to examine archival materials are strongly encouraged to make
an appointment. The Director, or an office of origin, may place restrictions on the
use of some or all of its records. The extent and length of the restriction will be
determined by the Director, office of origin, and the Archivist and will be enforced
equally for all researchers.
The copyright is held by The President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Arnold
Arboretum Archives of Harvard University. The copyright on some materials in the collection
may be held by the original author or the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining written permission from the holder(s) of copyright and the
Arnold Arboretum Archives prior to publishing any quotations or images from materials
in this collection.
Photocopies may be made at the discretion of the Arnold Arboretum Archives staff.
Permission to make photocopies does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish
materials outside the bounds of the fair use guidelines.
Stephen Alan Spongberg was born October 15, 1942 in Rockford, Illinois. He received
a Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1971. As a postdoctoral
graduate, Dr. Spongberg began his career at the Arnold Arboretum in 1970 as assistant
curator devoted to the Generic Flora of the Southeastern United States Project. In 1976, he continued his work at the Arboretum and was appointed horticultural
taxonomist. In 1979, he also undertook the editorship of the Journal of the Arnold Arboretum, now published as part of the Harvard Papers in Botany, a position he held for 12 years. Recognized for his Asian plant explorations, Dr.
Spongberg participated in the Arnold Arboretum expedition to Japan and Korea in 1977.
Between August and November of 1980, he took part in the Sino-American Botanical Expedition to Western Hubei Province, in the People's Republic of China. The Sino-American Botanical
Expedition (SABE) marked the first cooperative venture between Chinese and American
In 1990, Dr. Spongberg published A Reunion of Trees, which was one of over 40 publications he produced between the years of 1972 and 1996.
A Reunion of Trees provided a comprehensive history of the global search for new botanical species as
well as the Arnold Arboretum's role in prominent discoveries of botanical resources
in Asia. Recognized as one of the world's leading horticulturists and scholars of
north temperate zone woody plants, Dr. Spongberg specializes in taxonomic studies
of the genera Magnolia, Stewartia, and Sorbus. He continues to publish his research
and currently sits on the editorial boards of the Harvard Papers in Botany, Arnoldia and the Plantsman.
In addition to his work for the Arnold Arboretum, Dr. Spongberg served as a consultant
for the World Health Organization and is active in a variety of professional organizations,
including the Botanical Society of America, American Society of Plant Taxonomists,
Royal Horticultural Society, and Sigma XI. In 1997, Dr. Spongberg was honored by the
Royal Horticultural Society with the prestigious Gold Veitch Memorial Medal for his
contributions to horticulture. In 1998, Dr. Spongberg retired from the Arboretum and
was appointed Curator Emeritus in recognition of his service.
Following his retirement, at the age of 55, Dr. Spongberg became the director of
the Polly Hill Arboretum on Martha's Vineyard.
The collection consists of eleven boxes that contain papers related to Stephen Spongberg's
botanical explorations, his published material, and his active role in Arnold Arboretum
administration. Included are pre-publication materials from A Reunion of Trees,extensive notes and correspondence related to his participation on the Japan and Korea
and Sino-American Botanical Expeditions, and administrative papers relating to his
role as editor of the Journal of the Arnold Arboretum. His extensive correspondence with other professionals in the field of botanical and
horticultural taxonomy are also included.
This collection is arranged into 10 series:
Series I: Biographical Material (Box 1, Box 1a)
Series II: "A Reunion of Trees" (Box 2)
Series III: Manuscripts (Box 3)
Series IV: Reprints (Box 3)
Series V: Botanical Illustrations (Box 3)
Series VI: Poisonous plants (Box 4)
Series VII: Journal of the Arnold Arboretum (Box 5)
Series VIII: Plant Exploration and Travel Sino-American Botanical Expedition (Box 6) ; Japan and Korea (Box 7)
Series IX: Committees and Administration (Box 8) ; Sub-series, Living Collections
Series X: Correspondence A-Q (Box 10) ; Correspondence R-Z (Box 11)
- Series: I: Biographical Material
- Curriculum vitae etc continued
- Retirement from Arnold Arboretum and Directorship Polly Hill Arboretum
- Series: II: "A Reunion of Trees"
- Guidebook - Exploring Far & Near
- Arnold Arboretum Guidebook
- A Reunion of Trees - reviews
- Chapter I culls [photographic]
- Chapter II culls [photographic]
- Chapter III culls [photographic]
- Chapter IV culls [photographic]
- Chapter V culls [photographic]
- Chapter VI culls [photographic]
- Artwork Legends, Chapter I
- Artwork Legends, Chapter II
- Artwork Legends, Chapter III
- Artwork Legends, Chapter IV
- Artwork Legends, Chapter V
- Artwork Legends, Chapter VI
- Legends for Plant Distributions Maps, Miscellaneous Maps, & Preface Artwork
- Three tree labels for three books in the series
- Numerical listing of illustrations
- 1978 Calendar with Chinese "tree" character on cover, illustrated with E. H. Wilson
- Color print for book jacket.
- Color Plates, Proofs & Negatives
- Photographs and maps Photographs pp. 1 - 146
- A Reunion of Trees negatives
1 box, 2 groups. 1 general, 1 in order of page number.
- Series: III: Manuscripts
- Lauraceae - Family & Genera
- Theaceae - Family & References
- Franklinia & Gordonia - Theaceae
- Cleyera & Ternstroemia - Theaceae
- Schisandraceae, Illiciaceae
- Ebenaceae / Diospyros Continued
- Persimmon Article - MS Arnoldia
- The Value of Herbaria for Horticulture and the Curation of Living Collections
- Cultivar Registration - MS
- Erigeron [Contained in 2 typewriter paper boxes]
- Phylogeny - classification
- Weaver, R Plants, Walks by #
- Generic Flora of the Southeastern United States Project - Arnold Arboretum
- Series: IV: Reprints
- Abstract of "Polyploidy and Reproductive Mechanisms in the Erigeron grandiflorus Complex
(Compositae) of Western North America." The Association of Southeastern Biologists Bulletin. Vol 17, no. 2. April 1970. Page 65. Presented at the 31st Annual Meeting of the ASB.
- "The Staphyleaceae in the Southeastern United States." Reprinted from Journal of the Arnold Arboretum Vol. 52, no. 1. January, 1971. 196-203.
- Abstract of "A Taxonomic Revision of Granite Outcrop Species of Arenaria (Minuartia)."
The Association of Southeastern Biologists Bulletin Vol. 18, no. 2. April 1971. Page 45. With J. Frank McCormick and John R. Bozeman.
Presented at the 32nd Annual Meeting of the ASB.
- "A Taxonomic Revision of Granite Outcrop Species of Minuartia (Arenaria)." Reprinted
from Brittonia. Vol. 23, no. 2. April-June, 1971. 149-160.
- "The Genera of Saxifragaceae in the Southeastern United States: Saxifragaceae." Reprint
from Journal of the Arnold Arboretum. Vol. 53, no. 4. November, 1972. 409-498
Date: Journal of the Arnold Arboretum.
- "A New Alaskan Species of Erigeron L. (Compositae)." Reprinted from Rhodora, Vol. 75, 801, 1973. 116-119.
- "A Tentative Key to the Cultivated Magnolias." Reprinted from Arnoldia, Vol. 34, no. 1. Jan./Feb. 1974. 1-11.
- "Nomenclature: Report to the Committee for Spermatophyta." Taxon 23 (5/6). November 1974. 819-880.
- "Changes of Botanical Names" Brooklyn Botanic Garden Record: Plants & Gardens. Vol. 30, no. 4. Winter 1974-1975. 45-47.
- "Lauraceae Hardy in Temperate North America." Reprinted from Journal of the Arnold Arboretum Vol. 56, no. 1. January, 1975. 1-19.
- "Stewartias - Small Trees and Shrubs for All Seasons." Reprinted from Arnoldia. Vol. 35, no. 4. July/August 1975. 165-180.
- "In Reply to Mr. Welch, or the Status and Relationship of Cultivar and Botanical Categories
of Infraspecific Rank." With Elizabeth A. Shaw. Taxon 24 (5/6). November 1975. 629-632.
- "Styracaceae Hardy in Temperate North America." Reprinted from Journal of the Arnold Arboretum. Vol. 57, no 1. January 1976. 54-73.
- "Magnoliaceae Hardy in Temperate North America. Reprinted from the Journal of the Arnold Arboretum. Vol. 57, no. 3. July, 1976. 250-312.
- "Some Old and New Interspecific Magnolia Hybrids." Reprinted from Arnoldia. Vol. 36, no.4. July/August 1976. 129-145.
- "Ebanaceae Hardy in Temperate North America." Reprinted from the Journal of the Arnold Arboretum Vol. 58, no. 2 April, 1977. 146-160
- "Crassulaceae." Reprinted from the Journal of the Arnold Arboretum. Vol. 59, no. 3, July 1978. 197-248.
- "Cultivar Registrations at the Arnold Arboretum-1977." The Bulletin American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta. Vol. 12 no. 3. July 1978. 65-67.
- "Korean Adventure." In Arnoldia. Vol. 38, no. 4, 133-152. July/August 1978.
- "Lardizabalaceae Hardy in Temperate North America." With I.H. Burch. Reprinted from
the Journal of the Arnold Arboretum Vol. 60, no. 2. April, 1979. 302-315.
- "Cercidiphyllaceae Hardy in Temperate North America." Reprinted from Journal of the Arnold Arboretum Vol. 60, no. 3. 367-376. July 1979.
- "Cultivar Registration at the Arnold Arboretum - 1978." In The Bulletin of the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta. Vol. 13, no. 3. July 1979. 75-77.
- "Notes on Persimmons, Kakis, Date Plums, and Chapotes." In Arnoldia. Vol. 39, no. 5. Sept./Oct. 1979. 290-310.
- "Notes from the Arnold Arboretum: The Collections Policy of the Arnold Arboretum Taxa
of Infraspecific Rank, and Cultivars." In Arnoldia. Vol. 39, No. 6. Nov./Dec. 1979. 370-376.
- Plant Sciences. The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University Newsletter. Summer 1981, Vol. 1, no.3.
- "Magnolia salicifolia: An Arboretum Introduction." In Arnoldia. Vol. 41, No. 2. 50-59.
Mar./Apr. 1981. Plant Sciences. The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. Summer 1981, Vol. 1, No 3.
- "Calycanthus Floridus (Calycanthaceae)- A Nomenclatural Note." With D. E. Boufford.
Reprint from Journal of the Arnold Arboretum. Vol. 62, 1981.
- "Eastern Asian-Eastern North American Phytogeographical Relationships - A History
From the Time of Linnaeus to the Twentieth Century." with D. E. Boufford. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden. 70: 423-439. 1983.
- "The Value of Herbaria for Horticulture and the Curation of Living Collections." In
the Longwood Program Seminars. 1984. 33-38.
- "Notes on Simple-Leaved Chinese Species of Sorbus (Rosaceae) from Hubei Province."
Journal of the Arnold Arboretum 67: 257-262. April, 1986.
- Series: V: Botanical Illustrations
- Actinidia botanical illustrations
- Ailanthus, botanical illustrations
- Akebia, botanical illustrations
- Berberis (Mahonia), 1 photograph
- Calycanthus botanical illustrations 
[plate numbers in brackets]
- Camellia japonica cos., 1 photograph 
- Campsis, 1 photograph  and botanical illustrations
- Cedrus, botanical illustrations
- Chionanthus, 1 photograph and botanical illustrations
- Colutea, 1 photograph and botanical illustrations
- Cornus, botanical illustrations
- Cotinus, 2 photographs [198 & 200]
- Davidia, 1 photograph, 1 photocopy [203 - 204] and botanical illustrations
- Fagus, botanical illustrations
- Fothergilla, 1 photograph and botanical illustrations 
- Ginkgo, botanical illustrations
- Hovenia, photographs [217, 218]
- Hydrangea, 1 photocopy 
- Kerria, botanical illustrations
- Koelreuteria, 1 photograph 
- Kolkwitzia, botanical illustrations
- Lonicera, 2 photographs 
- Metasequoia, 1 photocopy and botanical illustrations
- Pinus, botanical illustrations
- Platanus, 2 photographs 
- Ponicerus, botanical illustrations
- Pseudolarix, 2 photographs and botanical illustrations
- Pterostyrax, 1 photograph
- Rhododendron, 1 photograph and botanical illustrations
- Rhodotypos, botanical illustrations
- Ribes, 1 photograph and botanical illustrations 
- Sciadopitys, botanical illustrations
- Sorbus, 1 photograph and botanical illustrations
- Stewartia, botanical illustrations
- Taxodium, botanical illustrations
- Series: VI: Poisonous Plants
- Poisonous Plants by David C. Twichell.
3 folders of color photo contact strips for
- Poisonous Plants of the Northeastern United States. By Ida Hay Burch and Stephen Spongberg with photographs by David Twichell.
1 Manuscript with photos
- Poisonous Plant Photographs
Several loose large format
- Series: VII: Journal of the Arnold Arboretum
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum Guide to Contributors
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum [Responsibilities for publication, Memos to Journal committee members, Krees manuscript.}
- Manuscript "The Systematics and Evolution of Fuchsia Sect. Fuchsia (Onagraceae)" Paul
[1981 for NSF]
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum Cost Analysis
- Allen Press, Inc.
['New' Publisher of the Journal Of the Arnold Arboretum 1982 - 1989]
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum - Correspondence with Authors Acknowledgements of MS 
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum - MS in review 
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum - Budget Requests [1983, 1989]
- Charles Wright MS - Shaw & Howard [Charles Wright in Cuba, 1856 - 1867 Reviewers E.A.
Shaw And R. Howard 1985]
- Kraus Reprint Company [Publisher of the Journal of the Arnold Arboretum 1963 - 1989]
- Orion Article & Correspondence ["C.S. Sargent: Seeing the Forest and the Trees" Manuscript,
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum - Production Estimates, Printers, Costs, etc. 1979
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum - Historical Data & Statistics
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum - Book Review Policies
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum - Editorial Staff
- Possible Exchanges for Journal Arnold Arboretum - Gray Herbarium Libraries
- Journal of the Arnold Arboretum - Fiscal Year Reports [1979 - 1987]
- Series: VIII: Plant Exploration and Travel
- Sino-American Botanical Expedition
- Field Work in China - Equipment List
- Plant Taxonomists in China
- Chinese Botanical Publications
- Notes on Chinese Botanical Publications
- Botanical Exploration of China & Notes on Collectors (Directory of Chinese Botanical
Gardens, "The Botanical Gardens of the People's Republic of China" Reprinted from
the Bulletin of the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta, vol. 13, no. 2, April 1979.
- List of Disposition of Specimens of Sino-American expedition to W. Hubei in Chinese
- Herbaria in China - MS by wei-liang, Ma
- Plant Hunting in China: Historic
- Visit of Chinese Botanists to Harvard, May 1979
- Field Trip to China, Proposal, etc. 1979
- Field Trip to China, Proposal, etc. 1979 continued
- Notes from Chinese Herbaria - 1980
- China - Seeds & Living Collections, 1980 Sino-American Botanical Expedition [1980 - 1981]
- Sino-American Botanical Expedition - c.v.'s of Chinese members [1980 - 1981]
- Return Trip of Sino-American Bot. Expd. Chinese Botanists to U.S.A. 1981 [1980 - 1981]
- K. Iwatsuki - Kyoto Gift set of Specimens to KYO [1980 - 1981]
- 1981 Sino-British Expedition to Yunnan [1980 - 1982]
- Sino-American Botanical Expedition 1980 - Follow up: Letters & Memos 
- Chinese Botanists: Thank you letters re:1980 expedition 
- Determination Lists, Sino-American Botanical Expedition 
- Determination Lists, Sino-American Botanical Expedition 
- Determination Lists, Sino-American Botanical Expedition Contd. 
- Sino-American Type Project 
- Sino-American Botanical Expedition Herbarium Labels & Field Books, etc. 
- Spongberg & Boufford - Acta Phytotaxonomica Sinica - Taxon 
- Chinese Correspondence Replies Written 
- Materials for Joint Publication - Sino-American Botanical Expedition [1981 - 1982]
- 1982 Field trip for Chinese Botanists to S.E. U.S. [1981 - 1982]
- Flora of China Project, Translation 1981 [1981 - 1982]
- 1982 St. Louis Symposium- Eastern Asian and Eastern North American Biogeography [1981
- T.R. Dudley - U.S.N.A. [1981 - 1982]
- J. Luteyn, NYBG [1981 - 1982]
- Bruce Bartholomew - UC Berkeley [1981 - 1983]
- Chinese Botanists at the Arnold Arboretum 1981 [1981 - 1983]
- China Correspondence from P.H. Raven [1981 - 1983]
- Liquidamber - APTSinica 
- 1980 Sino-American Botanical Expedition Joint Report 
- Dudley - Joint Report on the on the Sino-American Botanical Expedition 
- Missouri Botanical Garden Symposium 1982 - Eastern Asia/North America Biogeography
- China Correspondence to P.S. Ashton 
- China Correspondence from P.S. Ashton 
- China Correspondence to P.H.Raven [1982 - 1983]
- Guoji Shudian [1982 - 1986]
- 1983 - NSF Grant Proposal for China Trip
- Botanical Collaboration with China 1984 & Preliminary report: Research in the People's
Republic of China.
- NSF Guizhou Proposal / DEB 
- Plant Exploration and Travel: Japan and Korea
- Manuscript- Korean Adventure - Arnoldia July/August 1978
- Japan & Korea - 1977 - Collection Lists
- Japan & Korea - 1977 - Thank you letters
- Japan & Korea - 1977 - Contact Prints & Negatives, Black & White Photographs
- Japan & Korea - Selected Distribution of Seeds & Plants
- Series: IX: Committees and Administration
- Botany Libraries Advisory Committee, S.A.S
- Arnold Arboreum - Gray Herbarium Library Committee
- Arnold Arboretum - Gray Herbarium Library Committee Folder #1
- Arnold Arboretum - Gray Herbarium Library Committee Folder #2
- Monday Botany Lunch Group
- HUH Herbarium Committee Meetings 1983 -
- Arnold Arboretum - Gray Herbarium, Herbarium Committee
- Visiting Committee Meeting May, 1979
- Style and Aesthetics Group
- Arnold Arboretum Visiting Committee
[See also, Records of the Arnold Arboretum Visiting Committee]
- Arnold Arboretum - PR & ED
- Committee Notices of AA Committee meetings to which I do not belong 1979 -
- Feasibility Study for Restoration HUH Open House - 8 May 1986
- The Harvard University Herbaria Building Program
- Herbaria Building, Staff lists, Information for Visitors, Etc.
- HU Herbaria Staff Meeting Minutes
- Arnold Arboretum Policies, Goals, Etc.
- Arnold Arboretum - General, Maps, Articles, Etc.
- Memoranda - Internal - Arnold Arboretum
- Arnold Arboretum Centennial 1972
See also, Records of the Arnold Arboretum Centennial
- Staff Performance Evaluation
- Survey of the Horticultural & Botanical Activity of Teachers and School Children in
the Boston Area
- Arnold Arboretum Organization
- Arboretum Directorship and Development
- Loans to AA for SAS - SAS collections inserted in AA
- Arnold Arboretum Historical
- Arnold Arboretum Summer Extension Course - 1978
- Arnold Arboretum Summer Extension Courses
- Seminar on Arnold Arboretum
- Seminar Correspondence & Announcements - HUH 1973 - 1975
- Gift Distribution of Seeds - 1982 - Seeds from Southeastern U.S.
- American Magnolia Society Meeting 1981 - Meeting at the Arnold Arboretum
- XII International Botanical Congress - Leningrad, 1975
- Cary Arboretum - Soviet Union Collections
- Historical Arboreta - Collections of Wilson, Forrest etc. in Gt. Britain & Europe
- Linnean Society Cambridge Meeting, October 1979
- Flora North America, 1983
- Visiting Committee 1983 - Restoration, Verification of Living Collections
- Editorial Committee - Arnoldia
- Arnoldia Editorial Committee - March 1979
- Living Collections Committees and Administration
- Living Collections minutes, meetings, administration.
- Living Collection Committee
- Living Collections Committee Continued
- Plants Not in Arnold Arboretum Living Collection - Rehder's Zones I - VI
- Arnold Arboretum Plant Inventory by Family Name - March, 1976
- Arnold Arboretum Living Collections - Plants Needing ID - Checked
- Arnold Arboretum - Living Collections : Program Development
- Arnold Arboretum - Living Collections Jamaica Plain & Weston
- Series: X: Correspondence (1973-1985)
- Box 10
General correspondence files precede folders of individual correspondents.
- General Correspondence A - C, 1975 - 1987 (Inclusive dates)
- Barrell, Joseph. 1975 - 1980
- Bartholemew, B. 1981 - 1983
- Belder de, Robert & Jelena. 1978 - 1979
- Boufford, D. E. 1980 - 1981
- Brickell, C.D. - Royal Horticultural Society. 1976 - 1982
- Bristol, Peter - Holden Arboretum. 1976 - 1982
- Chinese Correspondents. 1978 - 1982
- Collins, William- Cole Nursery Company. 1975
- Cultivar Registration. 1979 - 1990
- General Correspondence, D -I. 1973 - 1987
- Daniels, Gilbert- Hunt Botanical Garden Library - AHS Committee. 1976 - 1977
- Dudley, Ted - U.S. National Arboretum. 1975 - 1987
- Fogg, John M. - Arboretum of the Barnes Foundation. 1975 - 1983
- Green, Peter - Kew. 1975 - 1982
- Gressitt, J.L. Mar & Apr 1982
- Gossler Farms Nursery. 1975 - 1976
- Gulf Stream Nursery. Sep & Aug1975
- Henry, J. deN.- Henry Foundation for Botanical Research. 1977 - 1978
- Hill, Polly - Barnard's Inn Farm. 1976 - 1983
- Hillier & Sons, ENG. 1978 -
- R. Lancaster & H.G. Hillier. 1978 - 1987
- Hillier & Sons, Winchester. 1975- 77 [C.R. Lancaster & H.G.Hillier], 1975 - 1979
- Hopkins, Harold - American Magnolia Society. 1977 - 1981
- Horticultural Club of Boston. 1978 - 1979
- Hume, Elizabeth - American Horticultural Society. 1983
- Hunnewell, Walter - Hunnewell Arboretum & Pinetum. 1974 - 1983
- General Correspondence, J - Mai. 1974 - 1986
- General Correspondence, Man - Q. 1976 - 1987
- Kondo, Katsuhiko. 1975 - 1979
- Krüssman, Gerd. 1975 - 1976
- Leaming Arboretum - H.G. Plakins. 1974
- Li, Chaoluan. 1982 - 1985
- Longwood Graduate Seminar. 1983 - 1984
- Mathias, Mildred. 1975 - 1978
- McClintock, Elizabeth - California Academy of Sciences. 1975 - 1978
- McDaniel, Joseph C. 1974 - 1980
- McGourty, Fred - Brooklyn Botanic Garden. 1975 - 1978
- Miller, Carl Ferris. 1978 - 1984
- Moore, H. E. - Bailey Hortorium. 1974 - 1976
- Morton Arboretum. 1974 - 1976
- New England Botanical Club. 1974 - 1975
- Oppe, Joseph - Scott Foundation, Swarthmore College. 1975 - 1980
- Professional Societies. 1974 - 1981
- General Correspondence, R - Z. 1976 - 1986
- Raven, Peter. 1978 - 1983
Date: Raven, Peter. 1978 - 1983
- Russel, James, Castle Howard. 1983 - 1984
- Silverman, Milton. 1983 - 1984
- Smart, James A. 1975 - 1982
- Smith, Stanley - Horticultural Trust Sir George Taylor. 1975 - 1978
- Sohma, Kankichi. December 1977
- Treseder, Neil G. 1975 - 1980
- Ueda, Kunihiko. 1977 - 1978
- Vrugtman, Freek - Royal Botanical Gardens, Hamilton, Ontario. Feb - Dec 1977
- Witt, Joseph - University of Washington Arboretum. 1974 - 1979