Arnold Arboretum. Records of the 1972 Arnold Arboretum Centennial, 1970-1973: A Finding
Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: VII C
Repository: Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
Creator: Arnold Arboretum
Quantity: 3 linear feet (17 boxes)
Sheila Connor, the Arboretum Horticultural Research Archivist, solicited and assembled
these Centennial records as an archival collection in 1973. Subsequent work was performed
on the collection by Arboretum staff in April 2000.
The HOLLIS # for this collection is 000603217 and the file name is ajp00031.
Processed by: Lori Kabelac
Revised July 2003, by Jessica M. Parr
Researchers seeking to examine archival materials are strongly encouraged to make
an appointment. The Director, or an office of origin, may place restrictions on the
use of some or all of its records. The extent and length of the restriction will be
determined by the Director, office of origin, and the Archivist and will be enforced
equally for all researchers.
The copyright is held by The President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Arnold
Arboretum Archives of Harvard University. The copyright on some materials in the collection
may be held by the original author or the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining written permission from the holder(s) of copyright and the
Arnold Arboretum Archives prior to publishing any quotations or images from materials
in this collection.
Photocopies may be made at the discretion of the Arnold Arboretum Archives staff.
Permission to make photocopies does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish
materials outside the bounds of the fair use guidelines.
The planning for the Arnold Arboretum Centennial celebration began in 1967 when Dr.
Richard A. Howard, Arboretum Director from 1954-1978, appointed committees of supporters
and Visiting Committee members to organize and prepare for the upcoming event. Documenting
the early history of the Arboretum was considered a priority. Dr. Howard appointed
staff assistant Stephanne B. Sutton to write a biography of Charles Sprague Sargent, which was published in 1970. As a part of a public celebration of the Arnold Arboretum's
history, several new publications were produced. These publications included: Through the Arnold Arboretum (a photographic guide); The Arnold Arboretum: The First Century (a short history); and The Arnold Arboretum (a documentary film that premired during the celebration).
The week-long celebration (May 21-28, 1972) opened with a banquet in a downtown Boston
hotel that featured an address by William T. Stearn, a world reknowned taxonomist from the British Museum of Natural History. Events included a daylong symposium on the "Potential of Arboreta and Botanical Gardens"
during which twelve papers were presented by Arboretum staff and by scientists from
other institutions. Three public lectures included the larger community. Horticultural
and botanical tours as well as research opportunities were offered. Other events included
a picnic at the Case, a Boston Pops Concert Dinner, and the Houghton Library Exhibit.
The Arnold Arboretum also offered "reverse birthday gifts" as a part of the celebration.
Young katsura trees were distributed to every member of the Friends of the Arboretum. Select colleges, universities, arboreta, and botanical institutions were offered
their choice of a planting of "educational value" and "horticultural interest." New
England garden clubs were given large trees or shrubs for public plantings.
The Arnold Arboretum's Centennial Celebration was followed in local and regional
New England newspapers. Participants came from twenty-seven states, ten countries,
sixty-nine institutions, and forty-six organizations. Key individuals who were involved
in planning or participatory aspects of the celebration include Dr. Richard A. Howard, Harmony (Happy) Clement, Centennial Coordinator, and George Putnam, Chairman and Member, Board of Overseers of the Visiting Committee. Centennial Committee
members include Governor Francis W. Sargent, Honorable General Chairman, and Rear Admiral Harry Hull, United States Navy (ret.), Executive Chairman. Frequently mentioned Arboretum Committee
Chairmen and staff include Mrs. Norman C. (LaVerne) Collard, Mrs. G. Kennard Wakefield,
Henry B. Hosmer, Mrs. John Solty, Gordon P. DeWolf, Jr., Alfred J. Fordham, and Leslie
This collection contains records of the Arnold Arboretum Centennial celebration between
1970-1973. These records were solicited and assembled as an archival collection in
1973 by Sheila Connor, the Arboretum research archivist. Subsequent additions were made and further preservation
work completed in April of 2000. There are 5 boxes of memoranda and notes between
Arboretum staff members and individuals from other organizations involved with Centennial
activities. Also included are meeting minutes of the Centennial Committee, Centennial-related
publications, photographs of events and attendees, pamphlets, logo material, and the Centennial film text.
There is a series of 12 boxed albums. Six of the boxes contain albums with acknowledgement
letters relating to the "reverse birthday gifts." There are 2 boxes containing albums
of news clippings about the Centennial Celebration and 2 boxed albums of black and
white photographs from Centennial events, the bulk of which were taken by Pete J.
Chvany. Finally, there are 2 boxes containing albums with the reservation forms of
those who participated in Centennial Celebration events.
Note: Centennial records are also located in the archival collections of Dr. Richard
A. Howard (ARCHIVES IB-RAH, HOLLIS# BMZ8231) and Stephanne (Silvia Barry) Sutton (ARCHIVES II A-5, HOLLIS# BMZ8235). The Centennial Lectures by William T. Stearn
‥ et al. are in the following issues of Arnoldia: v.32, no.5; v.33, no.1; v.33, no.2 1972-1973.
- Series: Committees
- 1. 1971. Centennial Committee Meeting July 27, 1971
- 2. 1971. Centennial Committee Meeting August 24, 1971
- 3. 1971. Centennial Committee Meeting September 28, 1971
- 4. 1971. Centennial Committee Meeting October 19, 1971
- 5. 1971. Centennial Committee Meeting November 16, 1971
- 6. 1971. Centennial Committee Meeting December 14, 1971
- 7. 1971. Centennial Committee Meeting January 18, 1971
- 8. 1971. Centennial Committee Meeting February 15, 1971
- 9. N.D. Centennial Committees - Duties
- 10. N.D. Garden Clubs of Massachusetts
- 11. 1972. University Health Services
- 12. 1971. Proposed Centennial Program June 22, 1971 edition
- 13. 1971. Centennial Mailings regarding plants June 1971
- 14. 1971-1972. Budget: Fundraising Letter to meet $50,000 need; Potential Donors List
- 15. 1971-1972. Buffet in Jamaica Plain, May 26, 1972
- 17. 1972. Cambridge Activities
- 18. 1972. Centennial Lectures
- 19. 1972. Centennial Committees:
Banquet, finance, publicity, program, private home dinners, POPS, Weston Picnic, transportation,
- 20. 1972. Centennial Reservations
- 21. 1971-1972. Centennial Finance Letter and Responses
- 23. 1972. Centennial Program Reservation Flyer and Distribution Lists
- 24. 1972. Harvard University Publications
- 25. 1971-1972. Honorary Chairman invitation to Governor Francis W. Sargent
- 26. 1972. Centennial Sheraton Hotel; Banquet
- 27. 1971-1972. Exhibit opening of Pre-Linnaean Books at Houghton Library of Harvard University.
Exhibit Catalog Early Botanical Books.
- 27a. Outline, by case, of exhibit about Arboretum displayed for 6 months during 1972 in
13 cases in Widener Library by Sheila [Geary] Connor.
- 28. 1971-1972. Richard A. Howard: Incoming Correspondence
- 29. 1970-1971. Richard A. Howard: General
- 30. 1971-1972. Richard A. Howard: Outgoing Correspondence
- 31. 1971-1972. Committee Chairpersons: Letters of accepted appointments
- Series: Committee Files
- 1. 1972. Registration: March Letter Responses
- 3. 1971-1972. New Friends of the Arnold Arboretum
- 4. 1971. Plant Packaging and Distribution
- 5. 1971-1973. Centennial Politicians
- 6. 1972. Centennial Boston Pops Orchestra Night
- 7. 1971-1972. Centennial Pre-Pops Dinner
- 8. 1971-1972. Private Home Dinners
- 9. 1971-1972. Centennial Program: Cape Cod Field Trip, Plant Collections at HU, etc.
- 10. [Removed] 1972. Unsolicited Letters
- 12. 1972. Registration Committee
- 15. 1971-1972. Transportation
- 16. 1971-1972. Centennial Celebration: Staff Assignments
- 17. 1971. Visiting Committee: Spring 1971
- 18. 1971. Visiting Committee: Spring 1972
- 19. 1971-1972. Arboretum Tour Guide Training Program
- 20. 1971. Picnic in Weston, MA
- 21. N.D. VIP's of Professional Registrants
- 22. N.D. Arnold Arboretum Centennial Film Narration
- 23. 1972. Annual Meeting of Regional Committee, NE-9
- Series: Publicity
- 1. 1972. Centennial Appreciation Letters
- 2. 1971-1973. Centennial: Feature Stories
- 3. 1971-1972. Centennial: Boston Globe Stories
- 4. 1972. Centennial: Boston Globe Supplement
- 5. 1971-1972. Centennial: Activities and Announcements
- 6. 1972. Jewett Prizes – May 26, 1972
- 8. 1972. Centennial: Mailing Information
- 9. 1971. Centennial: M.B.T.A. Okay
- 11. 1972. Centennial: "Wrap-Up" Article
- 13. 1972. Congratulatory Letter
- 14. 1972. Centennial Participants, Congratulatory Letters (2)
- Series: Photographs
- 1. 1972. Centennial Photographs
- 2. 1972. Centennial Photographs: Contact Sheets and Negatives
- 3. 1972. Centennial Photographs: Contact Sheets and Negatives
1971-1972. Color slides; seed packets; journal covers; and publications.
- 1. 1972. Centennial Photographs 1-11A
- 2. 1972. Centennial Photographs 12-21
- 3. 1972. Centennial Photographs 22-33
- 4. 1972. Centennial Photographs 34-45
- 5. 1972. Centennial Photographs 46-57
- 6. 1972. Centennial Photographs 58-69
- 7. 1972. Centennial Photographs 70-80
- 8. 1972. Centennial Photographs 82-93
- 9. 1972. Centennial Photographs 94-105
- 10. 1972. Centennial Photographs 106-117
- 11. 1972. Centennial Photographs 118-128
- 12. 1972. Centennial Photographs 129-138
- 13. 1972. Centennial Photographs
- Series: BOXED ALBUMS
- Reverse Birthday Gift Acknowledgements:
- "Arboreta and Botanic Gardens"
Replies and acknowledgements from approximately 60 national and international organizations
to thedistribution of gift specimens.
- "Colleges and Universities" Volume 1
Responses to the Arboretum's "reverse birthday gift" from 57 colleges and universities.
- "Colleges and Universities" Volume 2
Responses to the Arboretum's "reverse birthday gift" from 54 colleges and universities.
- "Friends of the Arnold Arboretum"
1972. Forty-six thank you letters and postcards for gifts of Katsura trees.
- News Clippings:
- "Newspaper Clippings" Volume 1
Black and white photograph of the presentation by author Stephanne B. Sutton of her
book Charles SpragueSargent and the Arnold Arboretum to Francis W. Sargent.
1972. Newspaper articles regarding the Centennial, Chairman of Committee Admiral
Harry Hull, Case Estates, tree planting and gift trees, James Arnold, garden clubs,
Arbor Day, Centennial symbol, and Dr. R. A. Howard.
1972. Congratulatory letters including those from Homer D. Babbidge, Jr., University
of Connecticut, February 7; Bruce A Briggs, The International Plant Propagator's Society,
Inc., March 14.
- "Newspaper Clippings" Volume 2
Newspaper articles including the Centennial, Centennial symbol, Russia's top botanists
to attend, Dr. Howard and his son, Ernest Wilson, Herbarium, Emerald Necklace, tips
on planting and poisonous plants, bonsai,Case Estates, and Dr. Paul Ehrlich.
Preliminary Program, Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, 1872-1972.
Tree planting: black and white photos and accompanying article, letters of appreciation
from garden clubs.
Letters of appreciation to Richard Howard from participants.
- "Clippings and Letters"
Ground cover demonstration plots and street tree trial plot information.
Letters including congratulatory and appreciation remarks from individuals and garden
1972. City of Boston and County of Suffolk tree maintenance program, November 15.
1972. Letter from WGBH regarding Channel 2's Centennial tribute Changing Seasons.
Centennial program registration sheets; Banquet menu; newspaper clipping of tree
plantings; Arboretum's history; trip to Pine Hollow Nature Trail; Frederick Law Olmstead;
Arbor Day tree planting; Case Park dedication; Charles Stratton Dana greenhouses.
- "Photographs" Volume 1
Labeled black and white photographs including Dr. R. A. Howard, Harry Hull, registration, herbarium tour, greenhouse,
bonsai house, glass flowers exhibit at the Botanical Museum, speakers at Sheraton-Plaza,
and Centennial Banquet.
- "Photographs" Volume 2
Labeled black and white photographs including presentation of Plant Propagator's plaque,
pre-Pops dinner,presentation of City Council Resolution, Centennial lecture, herbarium,
Case Estates picnic, dinner at the Arboretum, and plants distributed for Centennial.