Arnold Arboretum. Records of the Visiting Committee (1910-2003): A Finding Aid
Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
© President and Fellows of Harvard College
Call No.: I E-2
Repository: Archives of the Arnold Arboretum, Harvard University
Creator: Arnold Arboretum
Title: Records of the Visiting Committee,
Quantity: 1.3 linear feet (3 Boxes and 2 Bound Volumes)
These papers were created by the Arnold Arboretum Visiting Committee, an advisory
group that makes recommendations regarding the Arboretum's research, living collections,
public programs, and physical facility. The HOLLIS # for this collection is 009146855
and the file name is ajp00029.
Processed: July 2003
By: Jessica M. Parr
Researchers seeking to examine archival materials are strongly encouraged to make
an appointment. The Director, or an office of origin, may place restrictions on the
use of some or all of its records. The extent and length of the restriction will be
determined by the Director, office of origin, and the Archivist and will be enforced
equally for all researchers.
The copyright is held by The President and Fellows of Harvard College for the Arnold
Arboretum Archives of Harvard University. The copyright on some materials in the collection
may be held by the original author or the author's heirs or assigns. Researchers are
responsible for obtaining written permission from the holder(s) of copyright and the
Arnold Arboretum Archives prior to publishing any quotations or images from materials
in this collection.
Photocopies may be made at the discretion of the Arnold Arboretum Archives staff.
Permission to make photocopies does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish
materials outside the bounds of the fair use guidelines.
"The duty of visitation is a responsibility of Harvard's Board of Overseers imposed
upon them by the University's charter. The goal of the visitation process is not only
to keep the Board of Overseers well informed about the state of the University, but
also to make them helpful, understanding, and effective counselors to the University
and educated interpreters of its mission to a larger word. To this end, the Board
has developed visiting committees, whose members are chosen for their experience or
specialized knowledge. Visiting committees prepare written reports which, accompanied
by departmental responses, are presented to standing committees of the Board. The
standing committees transmit the reports with comments and recommendations to the
President and Fellows and, when appropriate, to the Provost and Dean of the Faculty
of Arts and Sciences. These reports enable the governing boards to ensure that the
appropriate mechanisms, practices, and processes are in place to achieve the objectives
of the University as effectively as possible, to ascertain whether priorities are
being reviewed and pursued, to ask how decisions made now fit with these priorities
and will affect the future and to evaluate whether the University's resources are
being employed and developed so as to secure its vigor and quality over the long term."
The Records of the Arnold Arboretum Visiting Committee includes membership lists,
meeting notes and agendas, reports with the Visiting Committee's recommendations,
and correspondence between the director of the Arnold Arboretum and various members.
The earliest available records for the Arnold Arboretum's Visiting Committee are from
1909. Also included are Arnold Arboretum publications, photos, and public relations
materials included in the folders that are given to the Committee members at each
These records are arranged into four series:
Series I: Membership
Series II: Reports of the Visiting Committee
Series III: Meetings
Series IV: Arboretum Reports to the Visiting Committee
Series IV includes a bound volume of the Visiting Committee meeting minutes from
1956-1961 and a bound volume of the reports of Visiting Committees of the Arnold Arboretum, Botanic Gardens, Bussey Institute and the Gray Herbarium from 1909-1928.
- Series: I: Membership
- Folder 1. Members of the Visiting Committee1956-2002.
- Series: II: Reports of the Visiting Committee
- Folder 2. To Secretary, Board of Overseers; Spring Meeting, 1960 May.
Date: 1960 May.
- Folder 3. Report of the Committee to Visit the Arnold Arboretum, [1972?].
- Folder 4. Report of the Committee to Visit the Arnold Arboretum, 1977 Nov.
Date: 1977 Nov.
- Folder 5. Report to the Board of Overseers, 1980 Dec.
Date: 1980 Dec.
- Folder 6. Interim Report of the Committee to Visit the Arnold Arboretum, 1983.
- Folder 7. Report of the Committee to Visit the Arnold Arboretum, 1985 Dec.
Date: 1985 Dec.
- Folder 8. Report of the Committee to Visit the Arnold Arboretum, 1997 Apr.
Date: 1997 Apr.
- Folder 9. Report of the Committee to Visit the Arnold Arboretum, 2000 Apr.
Date: 2000 Apr.
- Series: III: Meetings
- Folder 10. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1976 May
Date: 1976 May
- Folder 11. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1980.
- Folder 12. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence,1981.
- Folder 13. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1983.
- Folder 14. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1985.
- Folders 15-17. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1986.
- Folders 18-19. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1989 Oct.
Date: 1989 Oct.
- Folder 20. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1990 Oct.
Date: 1990 Oct.
- Folder 21. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1991 Oct.
Date: 1991 Oct.
- Folder 22. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1993 Apr.
Date: 1993 Apr.
- Folder 23. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1994 May.
Date: 1994 May.
- Folder 24. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1995 May.
Date: 1995 May.
- Folder 25. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1996 Apr.
Date: 1996 Apr.
- Folder 26. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1997 Apr.
Date: 1997 Apr.
- Folder 27. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 1998 Oct.
Date: 1998 Oct.
- Folder 28. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 2000 Apr.
Date: 2000 Apr.
- Folder 29. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 2001 Oct.
Date: 2001 Oct.
- Folder 30. Agenda, Minutes, Correspondence, 2003 Apr.
Date: 2003 Apr.
- Series: IV: Arnold Arboretum Reports to the Visiting Committee
- Folder 31. Report to the Visiting Committee, 1975
- Folder 32. Formation of a Special Subcommittee, 1986-1987
- Folder 33. Subcommittee, 1987.
- Folder 34. Special Subcommittee Report, 1987.
- Folder 35. Correspondence to the Visiting Committee, 1994.
- Visiting Committee Reports, 1909-1928.
- Arnold Arboretum Visiting Committee, 1956-1961.
- Ashton, Peter
- Baum, David
- Boufford, David
- Donoghue, Michael
- Eshbaugh, W. Hardy
- Howard, Richard
- Kellog, Elizabeth
- Knoll, Andrew
- Ornduff, Robert
- Pfister, Donald
- Stevens, Peter
- Warnement, Judy
- Wood, Carol